Plants for emma? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Plants for emma?

I have been looking into growing plants for my kitten do any of you do this? I was considering growing wheat grass but it looks like you have to throw it away and start over every 1-2 weeks I would like something lower maintenance.

I have succulents and my kitten picks them out of the pot eats the tips then chases them around the house she also eats my hamster food despite being free fed dry food ( blue buffalo wilderness) and getting one can wet food daily so I am thinking she just wants plants. Btw all my succulents are non toxic

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You may want to becareful as some house plants are dangerous for a cat to eat, you may want to do some research for some none toxic ones just a thought.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thats why I am asking I dont want household plants I want plants just for her. I researched and none of my succulents are toxic ...

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Betta Bomb

You can find mint seeds almost anywhere. Mint varieties like cat nip (nepeta family). Dill and most herbs are perfectly okay for cats AND benefit fresh cooking as well. Most are quite easy to grow (trust me, my brown thumbs kill everything) and are fragrant and a nice additive to a room. Basil leaves, when rubbed, fragrance up to half a room depending on the size of the plant!

Cat grass is a good one if she likes to eat grass. I found this link on plants that are okay to have around: http://jennifercopley.suite101.com/p...r-cats-a144117 I have it bookmarked as a quick guide for my own use. Once the winter is dying off I'm going to plant the seeds my own dill harvested and buy a lot more for all my rooms bc we have nice window ledges

Good luck!
**I might add, if you decide to grow any of these and need natural fertilizers don't hesitate to ask me.. I have a couple recipes for fertilizers (depending on the preferences of the plant) as well as natural and safe pesticides if you have gnats or anything.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

So can I just buy seed packets follow the instructions and have a yummy snack emma can eat AND will help with the rat smell? ( clean the cage twice a week but it gets bad anyway )

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Betta Bomb

I find if you're watering your herbs regularly and letting the soil drain the foliage gets really thick and if you rub the leaves the smell is pretty good. Once the trimming of the staulks on herbs like dill and marjoram is done you have treats for all the pets, and yourself. The oils coming out of the staulks is a temporary room freshner depending on the amount of plants you have. I had 2 thick bunchy marjorams and 2 dill pots and when I was cutting them the room would smell for a bit. It's not likr potpourri or anything so I really honestly doubt it would knock the rat stink out :/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

yeah I posted a thread I seriously need help with them.

But anyway I more wanted a plant I could just sit on the floor and let her go at lol

Proud Mommy to-

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Betta Bomb

oh man, I forgot to mention the medicinal value of herbs!! You have succulents so that's a good wound ointment but making tea with aloe and herbs like marjoram is SUPER good for you
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Betta Bomb

well... First you have a pick a kind of plant. I wouldn't just leave a plant around. It needs time to grow and cycle itself. It would be dead in no time!! lol Plus, mint plants need good light so they need to stay in a window
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I know the medicinal benefits and if I cant leave it down for her at least once a week or just leave it on the balcony in the summer its not worth it since I only want them for her. I dont want anything more difficult than a tomato plant.

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Betta Bomb

Well she'll have it ruined in no time. No plant will last long if it's left down for constant nibbles..
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

well my other idea is a bunch of small potted plants I could interchange and she could have a different one daily.

Proud Mommy to-

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Betta Bomb

That would be a better idea. I don't know how okay it is for cats to eat greens everyday but weekly it should be fine for sure
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

they would just be there if she wanted them as often as she wanted them though I think having a grain free diet helps even if she does eat more plants than normal. I just dont want her to hurt herself I cant watch her every minute.

Proud Mommy to-

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Betta Bomb

I might have read somewhere that excessive plant eating can indicate a weird habit or something missing in the diet? I'm not totally sure but I did live with a cat once who crawled into the fridge every chance he could and ate lettuce who turned out having some liver disease I think. But it's probably fine for Emma. I would still limit her access. It's cute but cat's are obligate carnivores so they don't need it. Get her a chew toy instead to supplement a weekly fresh mint infusion perhaps ^.^ Oliver was chewing on my banana stalk as something new, but I'm pretty sure his worm infestation has made a bit crazy.