Play bites?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thumbs down Play bites??

My cat bites me or my boyfriend sometimes out of the blue, usually when we're petting her. Just now she came and cuddled on my lap for a good amount of time, and when i moved my arm in front of her face she like, hugs my arm with her paws and bites. It's not hard, it can sometimes scratch my skin but it's still a behavior I don't want her to do, especially if I don't know the reason behind it. I realize mostly the position I put myself in that gets a hug and a bite, so I haven't been bitten in a while, but I just don't like it. Any thoughts?

She's starting to 'get' the tones and words of 'good kitty' and 'BAD KITTY!' so maybe that will help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

If you do ANY playtime that involves fingers/hands/arms STOP! No matter how cute it is you are teaching the cat that it's okay to attack human bits.

A supposedly random attack on your lap could be the cat telling you it's annoyed and had enough petting. If you're not petting at that moment then it's a play attack. A sharp 'No!' and removing the cat from your lap should work. Also, moving your finger towards the cats mouth instead of away usually gets them to let go. Try very very hard not to move your body part that is being bitten as that could be an initiative for play.

I notice this behaviour in my two cats when they are cuddling. One will begin to groom and it will turn into a play session until someone falls off the couch. Indicating to the cat you do not like it will probably work, even a sharp 'yow!' may work instead of a 'no'. Always remove your cat from you lap after indicating you do not like it or a dominant cat will merely stare at you, then continue the play.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No, we don't play with our hands or anything like that. BAD IDEA lol.

I figure she used to do this to the other cats she lived with. I just don't want it to keep going and have to explain to my kids how to not get bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

If it is when you are petting her, then you might me overstimulating her. Try petting her for a few minutes at a time and then giving her a break for several seconds and then petting her again.

Usually you can tell some things by their body language. If she turned her head away and doesn't look at you or her tail starts flipping pretty hard, let her cool down, because that usually means they are getting ready to bite or nip. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
cat biting