playing or fighting? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

playing or fighting?

I can't seem to figure out if my cats are playing or fighting and what I should do. Their story is in the thread "my kitties". But the short version: Cats were introduced about 1-2 months ago when I adopted sky (siamese calico). They were put together for short times for about 3 weeks until I just them play around together. They would fight mostly all the time though. Finally, when they weren't fighting as much I moved sky into the room with simba and me. They fought so much for about 3 days. I was finally able to sleep the 3rd night. But they fight about 3 times a day still. I don't know if they are playing or fighting. Should I let them do whatever they want or should I stop them or should I just do what I've been doing (which is letting them do what they want until one gets too rough)? Thanks.

Sometimes this is how they get along so I think they might at least like each other a little

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

it looks liek there playing... when i had trinity and neo (i know cheesey names) they were brother and sister they looked like that... is there hissing going on? if that is going on they might be fighting but trinity and neo get to play they hiss at eachother for a few min and then they get into it. but from what i see in your picture it looks like playing. if there pouncing on eachother its a form of hunting playing. now if there trying to kill eachother thats a differant story. i think there playing
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

They have NEVER hissed at each other...lol. They do pounce at each other and I hear a scream from one of them every once in a while but not often. They just fight five minutes or less (this includes the chasing).

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think if they were fighting one would be stronger than the other and the other would run off.

My cats fight not play but Sonny knows that Emil is the strong one so he runs off with a scream.
He whacks Sonny and Tilly over the head with his claws and the dogs sometimes. He is a real grump.

I think they are just playing.

Just keep an eye out for any scratches

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sometimes I'm not sure whether my cats are playing or fighting. I just try to watch them and if it seems too rough I clap my hands and break it up. I try never to mention either name as I'm not really sure who is staring the scuffle and don't want to place blame on either one of them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Does the scream sound like crazy Meow... Trinity and Neo would do that then one of them would do this crazy 2 foot in the air matrix jump (hence names) and this hunting game started. It consisted of one lerking around and minding its own buisness and then the other would stalk the other one. and come bound out from behind the pile of laundry or a shoe. Then they would scuffle and the whole process would start again.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Judging by the pics I would say they are definitely play-fighting LOL This is just what cats do. They wrestle rough at times.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I miust add I really love Sky's face her nose is sooo cute. Its almost like God drew a little line right down the middle and made half of it dark the other half light.... SOOO CUTE
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Playful Pup

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
Sometimes I'm not sure whether my cats are playing or fighting. I just try to watch them and if it seems too rough I clap my hands and break it up. I try never to mention either name as I'm not really sure who is staring the scuffle and don't want to place blame on either one of them.
Yup, that's exactly what I do too, always seems to work when spats are getting a bit too feisty. My 2 keep each other in check, mainly playing together, but sometimes they remind me of the raptors in Jurassic Park !

~ Helen

...missing
GanMan

Click
2 Feed Animals In Need 4 Free
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
I miust add I really love Sky's face her nose is sooo cute. Its almost like God drew a little line right down the middle and made half of it dark the other half light.... SOOO CUTE
Thanks
They usually scream when one of them bites in a spot where it hurts. Like when Simba bites her by her tail area she yells and bites him back. But right when she yells he'll let go. Simba screamed once because Sky surprised him when she pounced on his back...he never suspected that. lol. I either stop them when I see that one of them doesn't want to "play" anymore, when it gets too rough, or when they've annoyed me enough by running all over the place. After that, they calm down and go to sleep until I'm asleep. Then they start all over again...cause they know I will not get up after being in bed and I wouldn't be able to spoil their fun. They never have any scratches or anything.

My babies...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
it looks liek there playing... when i had trinity and neo (i know cheesey names) they were brother and sister they looked like that... is there hissing going on? if that is going on they might be fighting but trinity and neo get to play they hiss at eachother for a few min and then they get into it. but from what i see in your picture it looks like playing. if there pouncing on eachother its a form of hunting playing. now if there trying to kill eachother thats a differant story. i think there playing
and they would switch