Please help! 16 yr old cat not eating & lethargic. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Please help! 16 yr old cat not eating & lethargic.

hey, my name's katya, and i signed onto these forums asking for a bit of advice for my 16 year old cat buttercup(goes by tutters).

the day before yesterday or the day before that, as far as i could tell she was her normal ornery self. i was in bed reading with my huge comforter around me, and she was being a brat and kept shifting around at my side on top of the covers. i lifted the cover to get her to go under, and accidently did it too swiftly and she rolled right off the bed and straight onto her back.. i felt horrible, checked her out and she seemed fine, gave her treats, spoiled her rotten, etc. forgot about it, she was acting peachy keen.

now, this morning i noticed she wasn't really paying me any attention. she's like a lap dog, she lives on attention, especially from me. she was staring off into space, and wasn't eating that i was noticing. like, not eating at all.

i tell my mom who thinks i'm being stupid and crazy because tutters acts like her normal self as soon as mom walks in her room, then once she leaves, starts acting lethargic again.

and now it's past midnight and she's only eaten maybe 6-10 licks of ckicken baby food(fed her that when she was a baby, she loves the stuff) and enough water and fast enough to get her to puke up most of the food she had eaten. it's been about 2-3 hours since she last ate(if you could call it that, even.)

i just don't know what to do. i can't afford huge vet bills, and i don't know how to get food down her. she stopped being so wobbly, lethargic and stressed after she ate a tiny bit. please help, she's been my best friend for going on 17 years D:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm a bit confused - after she rolled off the bed she started acting like this? Are you sure she's not just being a cat and trying to get sympathy from you - playing the wounded bird, so to speak?

Because if she acts normal when your mom comes in, then that tells me she's trying to get sympathy from you. She might feel you spoiled her trust or something.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
It's all for them

Please take your senior cat to the vet, the fall may or may not be related to her current condition, but cats cannot go long without food before their organs begin to shut down, and a senior cat is subject to many diseases that would cause her to stop eating.

She needs an examination and blood work, and a urinalysis. Please don't delay, a senior cat's health can seemingly change from one day to the next.

Cats hide illness, and often by the time they begin to show signs such as not eating, they have already been sick for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
I'm a bit confused - after she rolled off the bed she started acting like this? Are you sure she's not just being a cat and trying to get sympathy from you - playing the wounded bird, so to speak?

Because if she acts normal when your mom comes in, then that tells me she's trying to get sympathy from you. She might feel you spoiled her trust or something.
well considering she isn't eating, and has such bad jaundice she's nearly orange, i don't think that's the case.

the test results are only minutes away i think, and she's been at the vet since around 3pm yesterday. she got some kitty valium and started eating, and has had fluid IV. the bad thing is, i have to take her home today, after not even 24 hours of treatment. i can't afford the 3 day 1.4k hospital stay that my doctor is assuming is going to happen.

i'm just waiting for the test results to see what i need to do - whether that is taking her home and just letting her suffer, or.. you know..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
It's all for them

I'm so glad you got her to the vet. I guess her liver is failing, however the liver is a regenerative organ if not too far gone. I have a kitty with liver problems. Please let us know what happens. All paws crossed for her.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey guys... I had to go ahead and put her down, she had a treatable condition but not only was it expensive, but I would have had to stuff her full of pills she didn't want and food she didn't want. I decided I didn't want her to suffer just because I wanted her around for longer.

She died in my arms and the last things she heard was me telling her I loved her.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 AM
It's all for them

Oh, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty. You made a brave and loving choice for her, it's the hardest thing we have to do, but sometimes the most important.

She is in good company over there at the Rainbow Bridge, happy and free of suffering.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm sorry for your loss.
I put my bestfriend [a 10 year old german shepherd mix] to sleep Feb 23rd and it was hard, but i knew it was for the best.
again I am sorry for your loss. :[
If you need to talk to someone about it, i am here though. :]

~Mommy of~

Sasha - gsd/whatever - R.I.P Feb, 23, 2010 <3
Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]

Tags
eating help, lethargic, sick