Please help me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Please help me

My beautiful Sugarmouse is sick. How do you know when it's time? How do I know when she has had enough?
I brought this little kitten home from the pound 18 years ago. Within the first 24 hrs, she started having problems. I took her to my vet and he told me that she probably had distemper, but if I could keep her going through the night, she might be ok. She was a runt kitten. Very frail. I held her in the palm of my hand the entire night, massaging her chest and keeping her warm. Well, she made it and has been my best friend since.
2 years ago on New Year's Day I noticed she was running into things. Her eyes were dilated and it was obvious that she could not see. I actually found a vet that would see her on a holiday. I figured that she had had a stroke. To make a long story short, it was determined after many tests that her blood pressure had spiked, causing the retinas to detach. We did a heart ultrasound and she had problems there as well. She was 16 so I rather expected she wouldn't make it long. Boy, she had me fooled again! We put her on blood pressure meds and heart meds and outside of being blind, she was fat and happy. Amazing how animals accept their disabilities and adapt. Recently, I noticed she was limping. I took her to the vet who eventually took xrays and she has a mass growing under her shoulder. She's too old and with her problems, not a surgery candidate. He told me to take her home, love her and that I would know when the time is right.
It's been a week and a half and her limp is so severe she can barely move. Her shoulder is protruding and it is obvious that the mass is growing. I bring her food, take her to the litter box, brush her, etc. I know we are close to the end. My problem is that she is eating well, using her litter box, seems comfortable when I'm brushing her but I watch her shift position constantly. This has to hurt her but she doesn't cry as if in pain. If I thought she was in constant pain, I would end it for her but it's hard to do when she seems so normal so much of the time. I know I am just putting off what I will ultimately have to do within the next few days or weeks. HOW DO I KNOW THE RIGHT TIME???? I'm sorry this is so long. I just don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i don't know how to tell you when the right time is. the kitty will tell you. if she's in constant pain i doubt she'll howl, i bet she'll keep quiet knowing you're caring for her. maybe talk to your vet and ask if they can do anything or what they think you should do

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Lovin My Furry Family <3

I am so sorry. I know this is a very difficult time for you. I send lots of comfort your and your baby's way. It seems like you've been a great Mom, keep up the good work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max

Tags
litter box