Please help me with the problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Please help me with the problem

So I have to cats, one 5 years old the other 10 months. Since we've had the 10 month old, it seems she hates the litter box. At first she wouldn't use at all, but after a while she started to. However when she uses it, it's as if she hates going inside. The result is when she pees, it's always right in the front. Recently though, shes not going in at all, and is peeing in front of the litterbox on the floor.

I've also noticed that when she is pawing, she paws on the sides of the litterbox, not in the litter itself. We trained her to use it, I just have no idea how to fix this. She's a fun car, and would hae to have to give her back to the SPCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

it sounds like she has an infection, she needs to see a vet. often cats will refuse to go in a littre box if they are sick as they believe that its the cause for there hurt. Also you could try if you have a covered littre box remove the lid. my female refuses to use a littre box with a lid on it so that maybe the problem as well.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Could be that, or she doesn't like the feel of the litter. My cats have pottied on the floor with reasons ranging from a UTI, to trying to tell me they didn't like the type of litter, to trying to inform me the litter box was too dirty. What type of litter are you using?

Also, you shouldn't have two cats sharing a litter box. Rule of thumb is one litter box per cat.

Get her checked out by a vet, add another litter box, and if she's fine health-wise, look into a different type of litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We actually sent a sample of her feces to a lab to see if she had a worm or anything but turned up negative. Maybe we should take to the vet to see if there's anything else.

I've grown up with cats my whole life and have always only had one litterbox. I've never heard of having a different litterbox per cat, but maybe we'll give it a shot and see what happens. Also it could be the litter, we use tidy cats. What other kind of litter could we use?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Tidy Cats is awfully dusty that I hear. There's lots of different kinds. From what I've read cats prefer litter that is soft, low-to-no-dust, and unscented. Feline Pine has a recycled pine litter that comes in crumbles. But it is not clumping. There's Dr. Elsey's litters which are clay-based but supposedly have little dust. There's Swheat Scoop which is wheat litter, but apparently the dust varies from bag to bag. There's World's Best litter which is corn litter, and also not too bad on the dust. But then, I've also read instead of paying the big bucks for litter like World's Best you can just by chicken feed and it serves the exact same purpose.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

Get a litterbox that isn't covered.. it sounds like this one has a lid. Cats are different.. You need a litterbox for each cat, +1 more. Your boxes should be different sizes and shapes if possible, too.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huttjos View Post
We actually sent a sample of her feces to a lab to see if she had a worm or anything but turned up negative. Maybe we should take to the vet to see if there's anything else.

I've grown up with cats my whole life and have always only had one litterbox. I've never heard of having a different litterbox per cat, but maybe we'll give it a shot and see what happens. Also it could be the litter, we use tidy cats. What other kind of litter could we use?
One box per cat, plus one is the very common "rule of thumb".. Some cats don't like to share litter boxes. Some cats prefer to pee in one and poop in another, its an instinctive thing.

If you are using a covered box, add an uncovered box. Many cats dislike covered boxes.

But please, take her to the vet, urinary tract infections hurt, and they don't get better on their own, they get worse and the kidneys can get infected.

Is she spayed?

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Newborn Pup

If you are using a covered box, add an uncovered box. Many cats dislike covered boxes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Newborn Pup

Maybe she has an infection.. better consult a vet and as the others have suggested, replace the litter box that you're using