PLEASE HELP!!! My Cat is Always Hungry and Always Pukes!! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm not sure how much it'll cost because it varies depending on the vet and the area (I'm in New York). If you called, they should at least be able to give you an estimate for a check-up.

I wouldn't think about euthanasia this early, it could easily be something fixable with the right medical care .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It sounds like the same problem as my 16 year old male has.
He has a problem with his metabolism. It's not uncommon in older cats, but it's quite easy to treat. They need to be on pills for the rest of their life, but they do quite fine on them and thrive

When they have metabolism problems, they will eat all the time, and still loose weight. So that would be my bet.
But go check with a vet

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 PM

FH:
Not to be a b*tch, but you did say this:
Quote:
You need to buy a better food, that's the ONLY thing will solve it
That's medical advice...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It could possibly be the food, our cat lucy was on science diet his whole life, since it is like $30 a bag and vets sell it we thought it was good food he has hairball issues and pukes a lot, i told my mom it is bad food and she switched to call of the wild i think and lucy doesn't puke much anymore but he is still transitioning and does love the food.

but also he just went to the vet and the vet found a mass in his belly area that could be scar tissue from when he got spayed by a bad vet or a tumor he goes back for new tests soon.

There are a lot of things that could cause vomiting a vet is the only answer. I would switch the food anyway just do it very slowly call of the wild looks pretty good and is about the same price.

good luck!

and flickering hope, your advice is normally pretty good, well informed and so on you are a good contribution to the site, however this problem may or may not be related to food and a vet is really needed. The vomiting sounds like it started some what suddenly and could be related to something else.

[/CENTER]

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Rodentologist

Our cat has kidney problems, and it was fairly reasonable to diagnose and work with. Initially he was given an exam and blood tests (it's been a while, but it was around $200), and then was put onto a prsecription food that was made for a kidneys. (It is also the dreaded Science Diet -- however, they do make excellent prescription foods). He also gets a supplement in his wet food each night that's aimed at boosting his kidneys.

Over the years, his bloodwork has slowly improved, and now he's got better kidney function. Sometimes it doesn't (the kidneys stay the same) but the food is designed not to stress them as much so that there is not more damage.
He was diagnosed roughly 9 years ago, and he's still fine now.

He was taken in because he started barfing a lot as well. Our vet told us that as the kidneys begin failing, it will make the cat slightly nauseous. There are lots of other things that can, as well (just like with people -- nausea is a pretty common symptom), but with Loki it turned out to be his kidneys.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I am allergic to maths

Just to clear it up, flickering left the thread, happens alot to prevent arguments. Your cat definatley needs vet care, no question, but you know that by now. The only reason I posted was to say dont 'introduce' the new diet over a period of time, scrap the science now, if your cat is seeking the human food already then it needs a new diet straight away. I wouldnt normally suggest it but in this case I felt it was neccesary
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 AM

Just because it want's human food, it doesn't have to do with the cat food it gets.
As I said, our cat wants food all the time, even though he's better now, and isn't loosing weight.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I am allergic to maths

Sorry. Most cats are more well behaved than dogs and apart from scrounging food from people they dont tend to seek it out
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 PM

That's your opinion.
Our cat has always stolen our food, and nothing is wrong with him in that way. Like potatoes. He does not like them, but if he gets to steal a potato, he loves it.

And more or less all the cats I know, love human food...
Might just be because we do not feed plain cat food, but sometimes cook them some food like liver and stuff like that. I do not know if this is something you do in the US...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I am allergic to maths

Im not in the US, im in the UK Our cat gets fed cooked food, he loves his fish the most but he usually gets chicken. He doesnt steal food and neither do any cats I know but I guess thats just me Some cats steal food for fun but if the cat is eating the food (apart from meat) thats when its a problem
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

our cat couldn't care less about meat, he wants to steal doughnuts, and twinkies, and the other wants yogurt and ice cream and sometimes cheese

[/CENTER]

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

While we're on the subject, I wanted to add that my friend feeds high-quality cat food but one of their cats (they have two) steals human food. Once he stole a whole turkey .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I am allergic to maths

Wow, you guys have some strange cats! Or is it my cat thats wierd? He will only eat meat, do you guys all have indoor only cats? Mine is indoor outdoor so has a taste for hunting, maybe thats why...
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

we had an out side cat that caught a duck and gave it to her 3-4 week old kitens. it was far bigger than the moma cat.

ours are indoor cats that wouldn't know what to do with hunting. the one is grossed out by feathers, and the other is scared of bugs.

[/CENTER]

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
While we're on the subject, I wanted to add that my friend feeds high-quality cat food but one of their cats (they have two) steals human food. Once he stole a whole turkey .

/Pia

Breeding since 2005