Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

PLEASE HELP!!! My Cat is Always Hungry and Always Pukes!!

47K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  AnimalFamily 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum, but I can see that it is really a great place to talk about cats. My cat has been getting skinnier/unhealthier over the past few months. She eats a lot and yet is ALWAYS begging for food, it seems as if she is always starving and is fighting for her life.

She practically dedicates her life to scavenging for food, always roaming the kitchen after meals and even clawing through plastic-wrap to get to things such as bread, pastries, etc. We have been trying to feed her in little dosages because she pukes very often, especially after she eats a lot. She averages a solid 1.5 pukes per day.

It seems as if she is eating a lot more than she has over the years, and yet she is still very skinny and is losing weight, along with her constant puking. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their cat and does anyone have any suggestions? What do you think the problem is and what can I do to get her better (I am on a tight budget)?

Thanks!

#31 ·
Animals are motivated by high value foods, and every animal is different. My dog, for example, eats venison and sweet potato grain free dog food. She also steals leaves of turnip greens whenever I'm preparing them to eat them.

Stealing food is about the reward associated with an extra delicious food, not because their food isn't whole. :)

#33 ·
I am sorry, after reading all of this, I've forgotten your name who wants the help.
The vet is the only one who can know for sure. They need to do blood work and possibly X-rays. It cost us between $200-$300. He was diagnosed with Diabetes. Sign of diabetes is always hungry but keeps losing weight, lethargy, excessive drinking and urinating. But throwing up wasn't part of his problem. He was diagnosed in August and we gave him 2 insulin shots a day. Sometimes he'd do okay, but he still lost weight and was still drinking lots of water and urinating huge amounts. This is very fresh for me to tell--but he passed away last night. We believe he had something else going on and the vet was so focused on the diabetes, she didn't think there would be other problems. The vet said his X-rays showed bones all through his intestines. I know he never had access to any, but she argued me to death that it was bones. After this happened, my husband and I think he had some sort of cancer that looked like bones on the X-ray. He was absolutely fine Thursday morning, and Thursday night he frantically kept drinking water and immediately throwing it up, and kept doing this over & over until we had to take the water away. We would just give him a few tablespoons at a time and he STILL threw it up. At first, I thought he was having a "low" so I treated him with corn syrup and it didn't help a bit. Finally, he just collapsed and layed, and layed until early this morning when I got up and found him dead. He was 14 years old and I knew at this point it was serious and progressed enough there was nothing the vet could do but put him to sleep. I wanted him to die at home. Anyway, that's my story and I'm as confused about the food as you are. I tried some all-natural high protein/no grain food, and none of them would eat it. But I wish you luck, and please just take your cat to the vet.

#37 ·
Hi VTHokies
I honestly don't know how much the vet bill will be. However, until your cat sees a vet you won't know what's wrong. If you are unable to afford taking care of your cat, please seek out someone who can. Also, many vet offices will work out payment plans for you so that you can afford the treatment your animals need. Please do not neglect the welfare of your pet because of lack of funds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.