Please help with my cat peeing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Please help with my cat peeing

Okay, so Archie has been peeing since pretty much the first time I brought him home.
The first time was on my bed and he's peed there three times since and on my roomates bed.
I was away for a day and a half and I came home and found that he must have peed on my bed for the five minutes that I left my door open before I left and I also found a huge puddle of pee behind the couch which is a first.
I changed his litter to Swheat litter which he seems to use no problem.
I also changed his food from raw to dry and he seemed to enjoy that much more. All these changes were made with no problem, but it seems to occur when I am away for more then usual.
One morning I slept in and he cried outside my door and eventually peed in my shoe.
My cat is only about 5 months and was just nutered two weeks ago but he is extremely lonely and is stuck to me like glue every minute that I am home. I cuddle with him for hours on the couch or read with him or when I am working he sits on my lap.
I really feel that he must be stressed when I am away but even still one night I had come home and let him in my room and while I was in bed he came in and peed all over the duvet with me under it.
I am so stressed, I was nearly in tears today because my things are ruined and I am paying attention to my cat and I don't know what to do to make him stop????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 AM

Well...since he is 5 months, he could be in rut, and is marking his territory. You also said that he may be lonely...is he a indoor cat? If so, maybe you should get him a friend? When we first got Fluffy, she seemed like a happy kit, but when she passed 5 months, she looked like she was bored. Even though the ferrets were around, a ferret is not like a cat friend. So 7 months ago we adopted Teddy...she is so much happier now. Never alone or bored, cause they have eachother. Both are indoor cats, and beeing alone all the time, must be kinda boring in the lenght.

I am sure you have concidered urinary bladder infection, but it doesn't seem like that's what he's got. I would castrated him, and get him a friend...Doing so, will also get rid of the guilt of you not beeing there keeping him company.

Good luck!

Let us now how he is doing
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by desire
I would castrated him,
what? castrate him??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:36 AM

What?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 08:07 AM

If he's marking his territory, a friend might not be such a hot idea right away. He may feel the need to mark even more and the friend may retaliate by "overmarking" each area Archie has already marked.

For your own sanity, I would limit the areas Archie is permitted to venture into alone for a lil while.... at least until progress is made.

1st order of business is to get him vet checked...just to be sure there is not an underlying health issue causing this....

I would also take a look at the litter box ... make sure it's all cleaned out and fresh OFTEN...sometimes cats can be real picky and wont go in an "already used" litter box.... Also consider changing the litter. some cats have no problem with one type of litter but absolutely refuse another type. If Archie doesn't use the box at all, consider moving it somewhere else. It's possible he's not fond of the location of the litter box...

In short... keep trying several different things until you see a bit of progress being made and CLEAN THE AREAS he has already soiled REALLY WELL. Old smells that you or I may not notice may be attracking Archie back to his "favorite peeing spot".

Don't give up on Archie... it sounds like what he needs most is you to be extremely attentive to his situation...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I am definately going to take him to the vet to get checked out to rule out that it's not a bladder problem. I had recently taken him there but hadn't mentioned the peeing because it hadn't happened in awhile.
He uses his litter box often and I clean it often so I doubt it's the litter but I will try that as well.
I have his litter box in the corner of the livingroom but I will try moving it into the bathroom for a few days and see if that changes things.
I have thought about keeping him secluded in the bathroom for a few days to retrain him but the bathroom is very small and I am worried that that will upset him even more because he will hear me in the rest of the house and he is already very lonely???
I understand that a new pet could be a problem which means he might have to be kept in the bathroom and the other cat kept in the bedroom for the first week and done very slowly. I do feel that he is just very lonely.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 11:01 AM

I really can't see why she shouldn't castrate him...Or are you using him for breeding? If not, I think that there isn't any point in not castrating him. He would be calmer and less stressed. She could get him a female friend if she's worried about them fighting for territory....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

My girlfriend is actually moving in next month and she has a female adult cat which I am hoping will be good for archie.
I am also going to try everything mentioned.
And yes he was nutered about 2 - 3 weeks ago.
But honestly, when my house is starting to smell, it makes keeping Archie very difficult and makes my life very stressful.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Lefts already had him neutered according to first post !?

Personally i think its basically a territorial attention seeking trait as one of the cats i took too used to do it when he couldn't get his own way or was left for a few hours and he seemed to think that if he was naughty he would get attention even if it was getting shouted at, i resolved this by stopping shouting at him and putting him out for a few hours and he soon learnt, if he is a good boy he is allowed to do as he pleass and has more free roam, he has stopped weeing in the house altogether and is now a lot better behaved and doesn't do stuff to spite me! I'm not sure if getting him a friend is such a great idea at the moment as it sounds like he's very close to you and might cause a fight if you brought in a new cat.

Goodluck with him

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left
But honestly, when my house is starting to smell, it makes keeping Archie very difficult and makes my life very stressful.
Know how you feel there as everything smells of cat wee which is pugent at the best of times but male cat wee seems to be the strongest form, but hang in there given the time and effort i'm sure he will make an excellent very loving little cat

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula86
what? castrate him??
Jane, Desire is from Norway, she means neutering.

Hi Left, I'm sorry you are going through this! Everyone gave some great advice so far. I have a similar problem with my male cat Snuggles, but it's behavorial. I had about 3 threads going in the cat section about it, with helpful advice. Here is part 3 of mine, lol, link to the other one is in it, if you want to check them out.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18445

It sounds like Archie could be upset about something. What kind of litter box do you have? This started with my cat because we got a hooded box and he wouldn't have it, some cats just don't like it.
I would definatley talk to the vet, rule out any possible infection, or any problems after the neutering, since it was just 2-3 weeks ago. How long have you had him?
Like Deb (PicOlio) said, getting those smells out are important. I know how bad it smells, too! There are cleaners you can get at PetSmart and most petstores, called Simple Solution and Nature's Miracle, we might think they smell is gone, but something keeps leading them back to it.
There is also a product called Feliway, recomended to me by Dena and my vet highly recomended it for any problems with urinating outside the box/behavorial issues. It's a spray (and they have a plug in) with cat's natural phenomones and it helps them with these issues.
http://www.feliway.com/
They have this at PetSmart also.

Hope that helps and things get better! welcome to PT.

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Jackie,
Well yes Archie only does it when he's upset it seems, though I don't understand why he peed on my roomates bed or behind the couch.

Either way I have a medium size litter box with Swheat scoop, (a friend today told me the peeing stopped when they stopped using this litter), and I clean it every night when I get home from work. Archie does dirty the litter box a lot!!

I am definately getting a sand type litter today as well as a second litter box possibly to place in the bathroom.

It's stressful because my roomate has not been too pleased with me and I KNOW she won't like another litter box being somewhere in the house.

I am going to stay in every night this week and pay a lot of attention to him though with lots of games and cuddles.

Also my roomate is moving out (I wonder why gosh) so another friend is moving in. She has a cat, and I know this might be testy but also my friend spends a lot of days at home which I am hopeing will give Archie the attention he needs.

Also everyone who has met Archie says they've never met such a needy affectionate cat, he really is quite insecure it seems.

I live in Canada so I wonder if Feliway is availible here. Should I possibly get some lemon, citrus scents to spray behind the couch, on my bed and in other areas?

Jody
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. neuter! got it!

i was like, castrate?? i thought she meant to cut of his peeny!!

i've got it now! thanks guys!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 02:11 AM

Oh...sorry folks...that's what we say here....get rid of his balls...LOL
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. neuter! got it!

i was like, castrate?? i thought she meant to cut of his peeny!!

i've got it now! thanks guys!
haha oh my. i just had to comment. This post was just too cute, i literally lol

Tags
indoor cat, indoor cats, litter box, male cat