Poisonous herbs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Poisonous herbs?

I bought my first herb plant just now.I chose peppermint mint plant. I really want to make green thumbs on mah handsies ^-^ Seriously, I want to try my hand in rasing a massive huge herb garden so I don't be spending so much on bunny food at Sobeys. So first question is : is mint ok for cats?? I just wanted to know to lock it up or not. Obviously I'll do more research on other plants but Sobeys only has the herbs for a short time before theyre snatched up. Any good links as well?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello Earthling

Mint is capnip. I would keep it away from them

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/19678

Last edited by canadiancritter; 04-24-2009 at 04:50 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My mom has a cat that overdosed on catnip once and had to be rushed to the vet. They thought she was dying. It was terrifying at the time watching her, but kinda gives us a chuckle now!!!

Anyway, she cannot have anything at all from the mint family, so to be safe, I'd keep it away from your kitty!!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:36 AM
I am allergic to maths

My cat tried to eat it once, thats how we found out that hes allergic... and he doesnt like regular catnip either
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Oh, thanks guys!! I had NO idea that catnip was mint ^-^ I left the flippin' plant on the counter when I went o my book sale yesterday and nobody touched it. Illusion despises the scent of peppermint since thats what we have to use to keep him from dangling from the christmas tree.SO I'm thinking when I'm done cleaning my room I'll find a nice spot in there for it.
Like I said, I'm gonna research all types of (hardy) herbs safe for bunnies and grow them inside and some outside when I tend some sort of area especially off-limits to my crazy pooch. I say hardy because I somehow love all my plants to death..... *sigh* i'll keep a close watch on Illusion though, thanks!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Updation:
Ok so I just went out in my yard to pick at the heap of old leaves and flip my clothes around and check Chloe's tree and I noticed that there is a mystery herb growing in my garden.It was there when we moved in last year but I never paid much attention to it.I picked a little sample to sniff and it has a peppery scent.It's all over the yard down by Chloe's tree and last summer whenever we were cutting the grass and we cut this stuff the smell was overwhelmingly strong! It's a nice aroma but I'm not sure what it is and now I'm all excited about my herb garden that I'm gonna take some roots and plant them in a pot to keep on the deck till I find out what it is and if I can include it in my bunny extravaganza ..Also,my mint needs to be re-potted which Im scared of because that's when they all die on me ..Any green thumbs here? I'd love to have more luck with my plants.I LOVE them and hope to start up a collection again...Also, does anyone know where to begin to start my lettuce garden? Should I do something with the soil first? Start it in a tote box first? I dunno where to begin but the thought of growing my own food out of a 2$ package of seeds makes me swell with excitement
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 AM
I am allergic to maths

Cabbage is quite easy, unless its ornamental cabbage it shouldnt be potted. You should find them a patch of garden and sprinkle the seeds, dont cover them. If you are worried about slugs, get some sort of beer or any alchohol and put it in some beakers next to your cabbage patch or if you prefer pour it on the ground around them, I found the beaker works best. Good luck!

Last edited by RodentzRule; 04-26-2009 at 04:25 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Will it make them too drunk to remember to come back??!! :p I was looking at ornamental cabbage yesterday but since I dont like it and nobody who lives here does either I didn't buy it. I could have given it to my neighbors though. I always prefer something that doesn't take too much work, so cabbage seems alright and it gives me an excuse to have alcohol on hand ^-^
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am also growing things for the buns. Watch the mint if you plant it in the ground - I swear it's really a weed! It takes over my vegetable garden every year. I had oregano growing but the mint killed it. I didn't know that catnip can be bad for cats - I guess I am lucky that I have never had a kitty that was allergic to it. But I would watch the mint plant so they don't destroy it.
I have planted basil in pots. Once my dogs ate the entire plant. They were fine but I didn't have basil. Also - parsley is easy to grow in a pot. I grew mine from seeds this year - and so far so good. I also grow nastrium for the buns. They are edible flowers and look very pretty on their salads. I have peppers growing and tomatoes.
I started all mine from seeds this year. The basil is not doing well at all! The yellow tomatoes aren't either but so far the others are.
My suggestion when you are replanting it to be sure to break up the soil around the plants roots when you pull it out of the pot. I never used to do that but I have watched various programs on TV and they all say to do it so the roots don't get bound.
Also if you are putting them in the ground be sure to break up the ground around the plant so that it has room to grow the roots.
We have been using an organic soil that is for veggies for planting. Our soil is terrible so I put a little in the hole and then put the plant on it.
Good luck- I am sure your buns are going to LOVE the fresh veggies.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks!! Actually, I already re-potted the mint since the roots were choking themselves in the pot given to it by Sobeys I didn't know about breaking off the soil clumped around it but it hasn't drooped or anything yet I read alot about it being like a weed the way it grows but I don't want to put it in my yard, at least not while that's the only plant I have since Coco will find a way to pee all over it. Maybe when it grows a little more I'll cut off a section and plant it down there but for now when it gets a little warmer, I'm gonna fill my deck with pots..

Id love to plant other food-like things.Tomoatoes would likely go to waste since no one here eats them, unless Chloe would . That girl walks through anything edible...Im gonna attempt next week when I buy more soil to plant my lettuce but since it's a little late it might not work.. I just haven't had spare monies to be spending on soil and mom used my whole bag on her dying mystery plant

I'll keep buying the seeds for herbs though, what the heck is nastruim? I never heard of it: plant, herb,veggie?? haha talk about wanting to be all green-thumb-like and can't even know simple things about plants!! jeesh
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I am allergic to maths

Nastruims are long flowers, the petals can be eaten in salad or made into garnish
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Hmmm, will look into it ^-0 tanks'
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

My sister-in-law plants all her herbs in cinder blocks (cheaper than most pots, and it lines the regular garden) so that they don't take over and kill other plants. I love it and we're planning to build a similar garden here over the summer.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

cinder blocks? THe ones used for building that have 2 holes in it??

I also tilled my soil yesterday and finally planted my lettuce seeds in a 3 x 4 plot ^-^ I hope it works!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenishaS View Post
My sister-in-law plants all her herbs in cinder blocks (cheaper than most pots, and it lines the regular garden) so that they don't take over and kill other plants. I love it and we're planning to build a similar garden here over the summer.

Ooo! that sounds like an awesome idea, and I bet it's cute too!!! I have a neighbor that has an "herb garden" but it's just a patch in the middle of the yard and it is over-run with weeds (about knee to waist high) so it looks like there is just one patch of grass that never gets mowed!! It's the joke of the neighborhood!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...