Poor Girl - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Poor Girl

Hi Everyone,
It's been awhile since I've posted anything on this forum. Have been right busy with life!
But I have some questions about my 7 year old cat, Lucy. She's a bit large, and weights quite a bit. And has been having some problems in the last few years. Mainly with going to the bathroom, I guess you could say but now it's a new issue.
Now, I know, I know, I'm really bad, I haven't taken her to the vet in probably five or six years, but I haven't been able to afford it, and she doesn't always have problems.
But here goes: She's big and fat, and therefore, cannot clean her behind very well at all. Now, I've gone through as often as I can, and cleaned her off, as well as I could with wipes, etc, but it seems like nothing works permanently. We've ended up even shaving off some matted dirty clumps of hair already, and this has worked the best. My problem is, in the last year or so, she's been really acting more weird than normal. She'll have weeks where she's really really lethargic, and all clingy, and she have a little cough... and then, it goes right away. And sometimes, I think she gets constipated, and I am not sure what I can do for her. I think this goes hand in hand with her being fat (She looks pregnant sometimes, people say, but there's no way she could be.) And now, the other day, I went to find her, and her eye was watering! I mean, I've never seen this happen to her before. It literally looked like she was crying in one eye. She's been sneezing also, and sniffling. And I think she had a touch of diahrea the other night... Ugh. And we get worried now, because my other cat, Marla, is VERY prone to infections and sickness. Back in October, we got Marla from a farm, and she had all these infections, donno if anyone remembers, but she had a really bad head tilt.. (click here to see)
Anyways... I'm worried about our poor Lucy. I cannot stress enough that right now, we have like NO money to take her into the vet with... I'm really really worried, and I think I've made myself sick worrying about her today. So any advice would really be great.
Thanks so much.

Kenty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Well why is she fat?
Are you over feeding her?
Does she have a thyroid problem?
You really need to do these things, and I'm not trying to be horrible, I know what it's like to have literally no money, but you could always sort out a payment plan with your vet, or ask the Humane Society for help.
There are people out there who can help, and if you can't do these things then maybe you should consider rehoming her.
She clearly needs some medical attention.
Sorry, I'm just worried for her. I know you're trying your best, but if it's not just negligent over feeding, and it is a thyroid problem, there's absolutely nothing you can do to help her apart from get her to a vet and get her some thyroxine prescribed. If this is the case, she will be on it for the rest of her life - can you commit to that?*
Get it checked out in any case, it may be something easily resolvable, but until you get a consultation, you won't know!
Keep us updated in any case.
Lots of love to you and your kitty.
xoxoxoxox

*Thyroxine inbalance would be causing the weight problem, but the problem stools could be caused by a number of factors, the fact that she can't wash properly down there makes me think she may have some kind of infection...

Last edited by girlrazor; 06-16-2007 at 09:57 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Well yeah, everyone does seem to think it could be thyroid related. But she always snaps back usually after a few days. I love my cat, and would never re-home her. I'm sorry, but I take offense to that, as a cat lover. I'm not like, some cat lady who has 234938 cats and never takes care of them. And I'm leary about "payment plans" as my husband and i are unemployed, and my husband is close to getting a new job. I don't want to have to have any form of pending payments anywhere...
As far as overeating. We've tried NUMEROUS things for her. She does overeat, and then she pukes, cos' she overeats. We've tried portions, and feeding her small amounts all day, but it just never works out. It could be me, yes, but it seems to me it didn't work very well. I guess until I can get some money in the next few weeks, I'm just looking for a way to soothe her or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 PM
can't think of one, help

Yes she is very fat, a lot like my peaches. Do you let them "graze" as in always have food available, sometimes they say that its a problem for kitties that have weight problems. I know that it doesn't help my peaches, but I have to have food down all the time for my 18yr old meecee. When meecee is gone peaches may find a change in feeding practices. Try to get her to the vet as soon as you can, for at least an office visit, could be something very simple, also maybe switch to a weight control food. And get some that you can play with her so she can get some exercise, start slowly so you don't over stress her. Its hard when money is tight I know about that because most of the time I'm running on zero
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

We do try playing with her, and it helps having a younger cat around to do that too. She gets rather playful, but I donno...
We have tried switching foods, and the diet foods.. Ehh, they're so much, and you know what? She seems to gobble them up even faster than regular food!! Lol.. goofy kittie....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my kitty mama was very very over weight as well...they put her on special food, she also had a very sensitive stomach so that had to factor in...Mama also had trouble cleaning herself...the vet told us to use gentle baby wipes with no chemicals and such...

We got mamas weight down by only feeding her once a day no matter how hard she begged (vet recommended it that way) and we feed her only the amount we were told...she never got thin lol but she did slim a little...she went from 22 to 17 pounds...

I know how hard it is to afford the vet...when mama was at her worst it cost us over 2000 to keep her alive so man did we go without as well as I sold my piano...maybe you could look into groups that are willing to help with medical costs or something...

I truely hope all is well for her and you...I will keep you in my thoughts...and give your sweet kitty some love from all of us

<<<<<<<sending get well soon vibes your way>>>>>>>>>

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 AM

I have cats myself, and have kept them my whole life.
I was going to go on to say something, but I won't at present.
Have you contacted the Humane Society? They can help you with vet's fees. Your animals come first, not your volitions
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I dunno I don't want to sound rude, but if you have pets you should be able to afford a vet. What if there was an emergency or something, and they were in serous pain, but you couldn't afford to take them to the vet?

I keep a credit card just for my pets, in case they need the vet and I don't have the money, I use the card and then I can pay it back month by month with what money I do have - that way, even if I don't have the money, I can still take them to the vet. Helps my credit too!

If you can, save up the money or figure out a way to take her to see a vet. Their are sometimes discount vet programs, and other programs that will help people afford vet care.

There is nothing wrong with rehoming a pet if you can't provide it with the care it needs. I'm not saying you should rehome your cats, just pointing out that just because someone rehomes their pets doesn't mean they don't love them or anything - they're just doing what's best for the animal. I think most people that rehome love their pets a ton, to be able to relize that it would get better care elsewhere and be able to let it go.

Annnyways, I would say keep her as clean as possable. If shaving the fur is what works, maybe just do that. For the weight, have you tried using diet (or even normal) food and only feeding normal portions, once or twice a day? That's what I would try, especially if she eats so much she throws up. And try to find a way to take her to the vet, if this is a recorring problem you never know what could really be going on with her, and she may not get any better on her own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 AM

Yeah, basically, I wanted to say the exact same thing as Michelle. That's how I feel. I just get quite passionate and I don't want to sound like I'm being ad-hominous.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Will It Ever Change?

ok this isn't a take to the vet debate. for all YOU know she HAD jobs but is only NOW unemployed. quit judging her, you have no right to. i too am unemployed and only as of recent, hence why i cannot get another goo for my degu girl. stick to the thread topic of helping give her advice for what she asked for and stop being so nosy

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ok this isn't a take to the vet debate. for all YOU know she HAD jobs but is only NOW unemployed. quit judging her, you have no right to. i too am unemployed and only as of recent, hence why i cannot get another goo for my degu girl. stick to the thread topic of helping give her advice for what she asked for and stop being so nosy
I don't think what I said was being nosy.

No matter what the reason for not having money, they're are programs and probably vets who would be willing to work with her so that she can take her cat to a vet. She asked for advice, and my advice is to see a vet. No one here can tell her how to cure her cat. Making it more comfortable is fine, but if this is a reoccuring problem then the cat should see a vet to find out what exactly is going on or it may continue to suffer.

I'm not judging her and I didn't mean to be rude. I don't have alot of money either, but I'm willing to make sacrafices for my pets when the need arises - even if that means having to work out payment plans or having to use a credit card or something.

And I said the part about the rehomeing because she made it sound like only people who don't love their pets rehome, which is not true.

I'm sorry if I offened anyone, I don't mean to be rude or start any depated. I won't write anymore in this topic, and I hope your cat feels better soon.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 06-17-2007 at 03:17 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i just meant that, she stated what she can and cannot do, so don't question her as to why. she said what she said and you (not just you dragonrain) have to like it. i bet she wishes she herself could take her cat baby to the vet, but she can't, it probably bugs her, she probably wants to take proper care, but sometimes life gets in the way of our plans.

kenty i recommend feeding the cat once or twice a day, half to a quarter cup of food and that's it. if she's trowing up after food then she's inhaling and not chewing, or she's gorging herself. it definitley sound slike she's overeating. so next time she eats, remember how much she CAN eat before puking. and make that amount what you feed her once or twice daily. you can always experiment with portion sizes too. but remember you're the momma cat, you're the boss. no matter how much she begs and cries, be the tough love, you can do it, and she needs you to. xoxo

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Last edited by mulder; 06-17-2007 at 03:07 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:13 PM

In all fairness Natalie, she could go and ring the humane society or organise a payment plan with the vet, that's not judging, it's logic. I know you'd do that for your little one if she was seriously ill!

Nobody can force anyone to do anything, obviously, but there are always options in life, that's all.

Anyway, I love you all and I say it and mean it because I care and for no other reason whatsoever.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
kenty i recommend feeding the cat once or twice a day, half to a quarter cup of food and that's it. if she's trowing up after food then she's inhaling and not chewing, or she's gorging herself. it definitley sound slike she's overeating. so next time she eats, remember how much she CAN eat before puking. and make that amount what you feed her once or twice daily. you can always experiment with portion sizes too. but remember you're the momma cat, you're the boss. no matter how much she begs and cries, be the tough love, you can do it, and she needs you to. xoxo
I might try the portion thing again until I can get her in. As well as shaving her a little bit the best I can.
I'm kind of at a stand still, because right now I've got our other cat, Marla, as well as my Great-Grandma's cat now, but we've only got her cat until we move out. So how do I do portions when I've got more than one kitty? I'm not quite sure how to go about it fairly. I just know my Lucy is a big piggy, and if she knows the other kitties have more food somewhere else, she'll go bully the others for it, lol...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 PM

I'd say have a go with feeding Lucy in a room by herself. Part of gorging could, possibly, be due to her feeling a need to get it all down since there are other kitties in the house. She's not deprived, but she obviously loves her food and might not want to share - ANY, lol.

Give her her own dish, with the pre-determined amount in a calm, quiet room for no more than, say 15 minutes at a set time each day. She'll start to learn when her feeding time is, that it's a calm time, and that she doesn't need to gorge (at least I hope). My kitties to be on a diet were recommended 1/4 cup twice per day by my vet.

If she's going to bully the others, this is going to mean feeding them at this time, too (in a separate room, of course). It's not going to hurt them to be on a feeding schedule either I imagine. I'd always fed ad lib, but when Sprout started getting a bit chubby I had to switch to set limits. She's 11 lbs, so not horrible, but I don't want it to spiral.

Last edited by millie121; 06-17-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Tags
humane society, vet care