Poor kitty! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Poor kitty!

Awww, look at this article I just saw! Poor kitty!!!

Fat cat goes on hunger strike

An obese German cat six times the normal weight has gone on a hunger strike at a Berlin animal shelter after being taken from his owner who had fed him two kilograms of mince daily.

Mikesch, weighing 18.5 kilograms, was brought to the animal shelter on April 1.

German newspaper Bild reported he was so overweight he could not take more than four steps without becoming exhausted.

His elderly owner was at the same time taken to a nursing home.

Shelter officials say six-year-old Mikesch is so fat he cannot clean himself and suffers from heart trouble.

They say he feels lost without his meat-feeding owner and stopped eating altogether when he was put on a diet to gradually lose weight.

Shelter head Carola Ruff says a shelter worker will take Mikesch home with her for 10 days to help get his appetite back.

"The cat had a good night in her flat on the first night and that's giving us hope his condition will improve," Ms Ruff said.

Cats usually weigh between three and six kilograms and eat no more than about 300 grams of food each day.

Source:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1085071.htm

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aw. The poor thing. I remember my dad met some lady and she had a HUGE, overweight dog because in her old age she kept forgetting that she had fed him so she kept feeding over and over.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:45 PM

Holy cow! Big cat! It misses its owner, aww!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:59 PM

Oh that poor cat! He's missing his owner and getting a new diet plan all at the same time. I do hope he gets his appetite back and loses some weight.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Romping Ratties

Poor kitty. I understand people love their pets but sometimes they love them too much. I feel bad for this kitty, both for his weight problem and losing his owner. I hope he comes around.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Aw, poor kitty. I can't even imagine how big he must be!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 PM

I agree, poor cat I just hope they realize that it is imperative the cat eat at least SOMETHING. Starvation diets can be deadly for obese cats. For some reason they develop fatty liver symdrome when this happens and it can kill or at the very least make them very ill. Hope he cheers up soon!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:01 AM

Awww ... that is so sad. I hope it is able to make a new life somewhere. Whenever I see animals at the local SPCA it is always last on my mind that someone might have turned them in because they were simply too old to take care of it. In some ways, this is more sad then the other reasons because you know that the poor baby was loved a lot ...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope he starts eating soon...poor baby!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:35 PM

I just got new newsflash. Brother of cat in this article refuse to comment. He just want to stay at home and want reporters to leave him alone:

Tags
animal shelter, poor kitty