Poor Little Galina - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Red face Poor Little Galina

Galina is having her first heat. It really is the most pitiful sight you have ever seen. The poor creature is crawling across the floor with her butt in the air and saying, "roooow, roooow." (It's not the typical female cat yowl, though, but rather a soft, sad sound.)

But, I'm happy she's having her first heat. It means she can be spayed next month or so. :party: Before anyone gets on me for not spaying her BEFORE she came into heat ( ), I'll just note here that in Finland, the vets prefer the animal to go through one heat cycle (and I agree with this; part of me seems to compare early spaying to giving a seven-year-old child a hysterectomy). But that's just my opinion.

Whew! It's a good thing Finland doesn't have stray toms running loose. Then we'd be having more problems than Galina just acting miserably strange.

When Gerona had her first heat, I barely even noticed it! She was so quiet about the whole thing. Then she had her second heat while I was in Finland. THAT'S when she got noisy. And a few days before we left for Finland, she came into heat again! (Not even two weeks apart from the last heat). But about a week after we got here, she was finally spayed and the loud "yooooooooowwww"s were stopped for good!

Does anyone else have kitties that they've had to experience some strange/frustrating weeks of kitty being in heat? I feel so sorry for my babies, but at the same time, I can't help but giggle at their strange behaviour behind their backs.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

We waited until my boy kitties were 6 months old to neuter them. Tiger would meow ALL NIGHT LONG. It would drive us crazy! They would also mount each other and get into fights. The weirdest and most amusing experience that I've had was with my bunny, Sonora. She was so full of hormones that she would constantly mount my cats! Its was so hilarious to watch. The cats would be like "What the heck?" They would try to run away but Sonora was too fast. She also started going to the bathroom everywhere even though she was litterbox trained. Its like the hormones made her crazy! She'd run around the room and little poops would be flying out everywhere! She's back to normal now that she's spayed (thank goodness!).

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Oh yes. Both Lacey and Maile went into heat a couple of times before we had them spayed.

Lacey is a Siamese, so you can imagine how loud she was. She went into heat just after turning 4 months old. We were a little surprised. She seemed absolutely miserable. Honestly, she'd scream and scream, like she was in pain. Maybe she was... We had her spayed ASAP.

Maile was quietter, though a Siamese nonetheless. Maile went into heat and, for me anyway, it was no big thing. What was weird was that she kept propositioning EVERYONE. And I mean everyone. She would harass Lacey to mount her. Like she could! She'd come up to us, put her bum in the air, and beg. It was weird and embarassing, I tell you what.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

With the exception of little miss angel, all our cats have been spayed or neutered by the time they hit 6 months of age. I wouldn't have it any other way. As soon as these kittens are weaned, its Angel's turn.

From what I understand cats can go in and out of heat within weeks of each other. I'll leave that to a cat expert to correct me if i'm wrong.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

I have never had to deal with it cause all the cats i have gotten have been fixed before I got them.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

My cat was spayed, after her 1 litter of kittens were given to new homes. Boy those kittens were fu n too. I was 10 yrs old or 11.....and we'd play school. I had fun with them my little play mates, as I was homeschooled lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I haven't had the pleasure of my cats going into heat.

Doodles was already spayed when we adopted her, and Pumpkin isn't spayed yet, although tomorrow night we shall set a date for an appointment at her favorite veterinary clinic. Maybe the vet that saw her previously and is afraid of her will get to do the procedure.

I'm glad Pumpkin hasn't gone into heat, because she's a terror as is. Maybe when she is spayed, he'll take some of the naughty out of her.

Karen

[

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
She'd run around the room and little poops would be flying out everywhere!
Where's Sonora?

Follow the trail...

Roz, Gerona was about the same age when she went into heat! And then every 1.5 weeks or so she would go BACK into heat! Boy, that was a mess (especially after she started getting loud about it). Chrisanne, I sometimes think cats go in and out heat when they WANT to. Three days before we left for Finland, Gerona came into heat. She was driving us NUTS! Then, as soon as we got into Finland, it's like she decided, "Okay, new country, no toms, I guess I can quit now." It really was odd.

Punx, that's one of the best ways to get them! But then again, you do kind of miss out on the "kitty-butt-in-your-face" experience.

And Roz, Galina has been going after Seamus lately because no one else will listen. Seamus looks at her with an expression that says, "What is WRONG with you? You are acting like a maniac."

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
box trained, heat cycle, male cat