Possible boxing match (introduction of pets) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Possible boxing match (introduction of pets)

ok, here's the deal. as many of you know, my parents recentely lost their jobs and are in between residencies. so because of this, i may have to take my cat, Layla, for a couple of weeks until they get settled. i'm really worried about this.

first of all, i have two dogs (1 yorkie, 1 chi/schipperke mix). penny (yorkie) will just want to be friends with layla. but chaquita (mix) will want to chase her. she'd never hurt her, but she'll want to chase her.

layla is the incarnate. seriously. she hates all living things and all people. she hardly lets any of us pet her and attacks us all for no reason. when i say attack, i mean she draws blood and doesn't let go. she is NOT playing. she must be completely sedated to have her nails clipped. so..........

how do i do this? how do i even introduce them? i know layla will run and hide somewhere , but i want it to go as smoothly as possible.

another thing:

layla has always been STRICTLY an indoor cat as my parents lived on hotel property in the middle of a parking lot. i have a big yard and a doggy door that must remain open. i don't know if she'll go through the doggy door, but i know she loves the outdoors (we had a screened in porch for her back home and she was always out there).
if she has never really been outside loose, do you think it'd be ok for her to go outside here? will she understand cars, etc? i'm soooo scared!! but i don't know if she'll use the doggy door. my parents know that as soon as she gets up here, she'll be micro-chipped. but i'm scared of a car getting her. will she jump the fence, etc??

sorry this is so long. thank you for reading!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Newborn Pup

First the obvious... if she's never been outside then there's a strong possibility that she will get lost having no practice in locating where home is and with no understanding of the dangers of cars, etc. probably will shorten her life expectancy tremendously. After a few uncomfortable days (and possibly a few injuries) she will probably teach the dogs who is the boss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you for your advice!

any others??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would isolate her in a closed off room if this is possible. Randy is right about you not knowing if she will wander off or not. At the very least, make sure she has up-to-date tags with your address on at all times no matter what!

Since she is rather volatile it would be best to avoid interactions with your other pets ... you don't want to have to pay for a vet visit when she cuts your dog's cheek open or something!

If you do decide to introduce them -- which I really don't recommend the more I think about it -- I would do so slowly over a period of a few days. Randy is right ... after a few pops your dogs will get the picture ... but you don't know how bad the injuries would be ... let alone what it would do emotionally to your dogs. It could cause behavioral problems with them as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:41 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

I would like to recommend microchipping her in addition to everyone else's advice. Tags can be lost, destroyed, and removed. Microchips are a little harder to get rid of and a lot more reliable.

Though admittedly, it sounds like microchipping would cause the little volcano to erupt, so it may not be possible to do...and keep all your digits intact. Hmm...

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

roz - i agree! i told my nan that upon her coming up here, she WOULD be micro-chipped. both of my dogs are and i feel much better knowing it. she could have it done when i have her nails clipped (she will be sedated).

elf - yes, i could keep her in the guest room, but i just feel bad keeping her in there for two (or more) weeks. but it is possible. i do not know how i would introduce them. i have brought both dogs to the island (parents' house) and we kept them seperated in two diff parts of the house (big house) and they would bark/hiss at each other under the door. i think if they ever met, layla (cat) would run and hide and the dogs (especially chaquita) would bark and chase her. if she has places to go (high up, etc) would it be really bad? i would like for them to eventually tolerate each other. am i hoping for too much?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sami's dog Kirby has a BAD tendency to want to chase and play with cats. And moving here with two cats, I was a bit worried about it. So, for the first day, I let the cats wander all of the house with Kirby outside on the balcony, and then I would put them in the bathroom and let Kirby wander around. I did this for about a day and a half so that they knew each other's scents.

Then, when letting them meet, we put Kirby on a leash and let the kitties loose. He would try and go after them and would be yanked back (sometimes with a pop on the head, too--but he's a big dog that doesn't respond to verbal commands when excited and I don't think you'd have to go that far with your little babies ). If he would dare to stick his face close to Gerona, I would LET her slap him. Kirby had to learn that the cats were NOT his toys and he couldn't chase them.

So, I think that if Layla is going to be staying there for sometime, it would be EASIER for you if you go through the stress/trouble of getting the dogs and the kitty used to each other. Break their meetings up into sessions, and if you are leaving the house, do like I did and lock the kitty up somewhere safe (bathroom for me). If you are afraid Layla will hurt Chaquita, don't let him get TOO close to her (have a leash handy ). Maybe a hiss and growl might be enough to scare him?

Good luck and keep us updated on Layla coming to see you!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well, layla is here. she is NOT NOT NOT happy. we put her in the guest room with her food, water and litter box and she is ok...
she is lying on the window ledge looking out the window and is being an overall b*tch. but it's ok. we totally understand- she just spent 10 hrs in a crate on a car-ride then another hour in her crate in someone's garage. plus she had poopy and throw up in there. we got her out and cleaned her up and she is ok. she is going to get microchipped tomorrow at 3pm!!

about the dogs...we just gave them away. LOL!!!!! i'm just kidding!
we blocked them in the back yard until we got layla in the bedroom. then we let them back in. they barked and sniffed the door (they know some other animal is in there), but that's it. they aren't barking anymore. if we go to open the guest bedroom door, they run over there hoping to get a peek of what's inside, but that's it.

layla is going to go outside tomorrow after she gets microchipped. we don't think she'll run off because she likes to lie around. we got a big fold up table and put her a cat-sized Igloo on it, with water and food. we think she'll be fine.

to introduce them we are going to put the dogs on their leashes and let layla out. if they lunge, we will pull back and say NO. then we'll let layla go outside and on the table and then take the dogs out on their leashes and then let them off eventually.

so that's the update. i'll let you guys know more when the crap hits the fan!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well............change of plans.

we just decided to keep layla in the guest room for the next two weeks. we DID have all of her shots updated, we had her microchipped and we had her nails clipped. she didn't do too badly at the vet. yah!

the vet convinced us that it would be best to keep her inside. and that if we ever did let her go outside, that (two things) 1st - it would be better to GRADUALLY introduce her and 2nd - we should create a super huge play area for her that is caged in. something as tall as a house or whatever. so...that is the update.

thank you everyone for the advice!!

Tags
indoor cat, litter box, vet visit