Possible Urinary Tract Infection? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Possible Urinary Tract Infection?

Sneakers is starting to worry me a bit. I wanted to see what you guys think before I rush him to the vet. He is a major fraidy cat and gets very tramatized when I have to take him. I've noticed that he has been licking his "private area" a lot lately, and I saw him in the litter box straining once. He also seems to be drinking more water. He doesn't seem to be in pain though and is actually more active than usual. So I don't know what is going on. Is there something I can do to help prevent a urinary tract infection or a natural supplement of some kind I should try? If he gets worse or if I see him straining again I will definitely take him to the vet. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:07 PM

I know there are food out there that are low in magnesium, which will help with UTI. I know the Nutro Natural Choice adult food is, otherwise I know there are other foods out there that are specifically for UTI.

My mom's boy cat had UTI. Crystals to be exact. He couldn't urinate, and would strain in the box. It cost them $700 to make him better.

I hope it's not UTI!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Chin Lady
It cost them $700 to make him better.
Oh gosh. Please don't tell me that! Thats all we need. I was worried that it might be crystals. My mom's kitty had crystals and she is a lot like Sneakers (lazy, doesn't drink much water). She would squat and strain all the time though and was very uncomfortable. I hope Sneakers gets better on his own. I'll be watching him very closely. He seems ok right now, but I'm worried. He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all, so we'll see. I feed them a really good, natural food. But Sneakers isn't very active and doesn't drink enough water so I can see him getting this problem. We just took him in a few months ago for an inflamed intestinal tract (from hairballs) and spent $300. We will do what he have to do to make him better though no matter what.

Please pray that Sneakers doesn't have crystals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:34 PM

There can be a difference between a Urinary Tract Infection and a blockage. He could just have a UTI and need an antibiotic. If your boy is developing crystals, he could eventually block up (males are more in danger than females due to their different anatomy). Just a heads up...not saying this is your boy now..but a male cat constantly going in the litter box with no results, needs to see a vet as soon as possible! Permanent damage can be done to the kidneys if you wait longer than 24 hours. Observe him closely when he goes into his box.

Your best bet if your kitty isn't in immediate danger, is to get a urine sample tested as soon as you can.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks CTChin. He's definitely not constantly going to the litter box. I will keep a very close eye on him though and take him in right away if he seems like he keeps trying to go, or if anything changes. He's a strange one, so its hard to tell whats going on with him. I might take him in tomorrow to be safe. We'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Red face Sneakers!

Steph I hope Sneakers is ok?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Any word? I have been through blockages/crystals with 2 of my guys. It is not fun, nor cheap. If you feel he is out of the norm I would take him in. The earlier you catch it, the somewhat cheaper it is-and ofcourse better for him.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
Any word? If you feel he is out of the norm I would take him in. The earlier you catch it, the somewhat cheaper it is-and ofcourse better for him.
I couldn't have said it better. If he's straining and licking, I'd take him in.

Stephanie

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 09:21 PM

Steph,
My cat, Kado, got crystals regularly. We switched him to a food that helped prevent it. The vet bills weren't that high so don't panic. He seemed more annoyed by the whole thing than to be in any pain, also. He is just one of those unlucky males who get crystals a lot.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Steph,
My cat, Kado, got crystals regularly. We switched him to a food that helped prevent it. The vet bills weren't that high so don't panic. He seemed more annoyed by the whole thing than to be in any pain, also. He is just one of those unlucky males who get crystals a lot.
Thats good to hear Roz . Thanks everyone. I haven't seen him straining anymore. I haven't seen him licking either. He seems totally fine. I'll definitely keep an eye on him though and take him in if I see him acting like that again.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I caught him straining again just now. I'll be taking him in tomorrow or Thurs.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Did he produce any urine, Steph? If he didn't or only produced a few drops, he needs to go in right now.

Stephanie

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 02:50 PM

Stephanie, I hope Sneakers is okay.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Did he produce any urine, Steph? If he didn't or only produced a few drops, he needs to go in right now.
It looked like he was able to go. He seems fine too. He's playing with his toys and everything. I'll watch him all day today, and I'm about to change the litter box so I can make sure that he's going. I'll probably take him in tomorrow morning, but if he gets worse of course I will take him in now or take him to the emergency clinic. He doesn't seem uncomfortable or in any pain, and he doesn't keep trying to go.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:15 PM

How's it going? Any news?
That sounds like he should be taken in to be sure. Antibiotics are way better than some of the alternatives. I hope he is getting better.

Tags
litter box, male cat, nutro natural choice, urinary tract infection