Possible UTI? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Possible UTI?

Quick question guys...Today I found pee on the bed in the spare bedroom. I knew Milko had done it (he jumped on the bed afterwards and started scratching like he was trying to cover it) and it was a big pee...at first I thought that he must've done it this afternoon, but I realise now he must have done it last night cause this morning I could smell something but couldn't locate the smell but that's what it had to be! I've cleaned the blankets off that bed and cleaned the mattress and the smell is gone. I put it down to everything changing in that room (cause it's being made into the nursery) and the bed being the only 'old' thing still left. Milko also loves that bed so I just guessed that he was claiming that as his again.
Tonight we got home from our birthing class and within the hour there were two big pees. One was on the floor in the animal room. It didn't have a smell to it so that one could have been Biscuit, even though she didn't really ask to go outside. She normally goes out and pees when we get home but cause she didn't ask I didn't bother.
Anyway Alex just went to go to bed and there was a big pee on our bed, which has to be from Milko. It has the same smell as the pee that was on the second bed too, so I know for certain that one was from him. Luckily we caught it quick enough and it only went through one layer, rather than all the way down to the mattress.
He has not peed anywhere else (the bauty of our new carpet is that anything wet really stands out, not like our old carpet!) in the house, but he also hasn't used his litter tray to pee in (he did a poo in there).
In all the time that we had trouble with him using the whole house as his toilet he never ever went on furniture. It was always on the carpet.
The only thing that makes me think this might not be a UTI is that he is doing large pees...not small ones.
So does it sound more like a behavioural matter or does it sound like a possible UTI? I'm very happy to take him to the vet...dealing with a UTI seems like a much easier option than dealing with a new behavioural problem. I just wanted your opinions!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

anyone?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM

Very well could be. Magilla had some little pees and some big ones and he didn't use the litterbox to pee until he was feeling better. Just remember Magilla has Bladder inflammatory syndrom so the amount of pee could differ but I think the sypmtoms are similar. Magilla showed a lot of blood but if you've ever had a UTI yourself you know that sometimes the blood isn't visible right away. I would definitely check for a UTI first because your right it is much easier to deal with that than a behavior problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks Dena. I'm going to keep him locked up in the laundry all day today. I want to get a urine sample to take to the vets when I go. I'll be ringing the vets and making an appointment for tomorrow though. I do want to rule this out. Well if it's a uti I'm going to keep him locked in the laundry until the meds have a chance to work cause I'm not meant to be cleaning up cat pee but I can hardly leave it when Alex is at work!
If it's behavioural I guess I'll have to go back and re-train him so to speak, like I have so many times already. My biggest fear about this being a behavioural problem is that if he is simply acting out cause of a furniture change what on earth is he going to be like when bubs is actually here? I'll deal with his issues, no matter what, but I can't really imagine it being a whole lot of fun.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I got hungry so I'm up again (who needs sleep these days anyway) and I checked on Milko. He has kicked his litter around everywhere as if he has gone to the toilet but there's like maybe three drops of urine in his tray (Milko has never caught on to covering up..he stands outside his tray and scoops the litter out, leaving his toilet habits on show for all!) I'm going to be doing a ring around today to suss out a good vet closer to home. I don't feel like driving an hour to my old work when he could be back and forth.
I'll keep you updated!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

sounds like what my sisters kitty did when he had a uti.

I hope he gets better soon for you Carmen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Miss New Booty

It could be a UTI, Carm. I guess it's hard telling until he gets tested for sure, Snuggles would pee in puddles and his was behavioral. Keep us posted on what you find out when you take him to the vets!! Hope all is ok!
And I know you couldn't mistake that awful smell! I know it too well!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jackie he tricked me at first cause since he's been neutered his pee doesn't smell as strong so at first I was like 'what is that smell?'

I've just got back from the gym and he has attempted to urinate in his tray again. It's only a couple of drops. I rang up and got him an app. at the vets down the road for this afternoon. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable until tomorrow and I know that these things can move fast. He is pretty sleepy right now too and just looked at me when I went into the laundry, normally he'd be on his feet and running out the door.
I'll let you guys know what happens.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 PM

Well if he's straining now that definitely sounds like one. Not that I want Milko to be sick but I hope that its just a UTI. You know what I mean Good luck at the vets
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks Dena! I knew exactly what you meant. I just got back from the vet and he does have a UTI. He is on a course of antibiotics for 8 days. The vet said to keep him locked up for 24 hours, and then he should be back to only using his litter tray, I'll be limiting his space and supervising him until I'm 100% certain that he is feeling better and using his tray. Now all we have to do is hope that he isn't blocked anywhere (I have to take him back Monday if he doesn't seem to be improving) and hope that it's just a one off.
I tell you, actually having to pay vet bills is a killer!! This vet was reasonably priced but it's a huge jump when I never had to pay for anything before (not even surgeries or antibiotics..everything medical was free for staff where I used to work!)

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Poor Milko.

I hope he gets better soon, Carmen!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Rowan! He is still lethargic and he feels warm to touch, but I don't know if that's just a temp. or the fact that the weather has suddenly gotten really warm here. It's like shorts and t-shirt weather today and was yesterday too (compared to jeans and long sleeve tops with a jacket weather) so it could be a combination. He did manage to do a good size pee in his tray over night and this morning he got out for about 2 minutes and went running back into the laundry with a big piece of chicken (breast of course!) that Alex had put in the dog bowl for the dogs (they were still crated). So at least I know he has definently got his appetite!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

With Henry, he seemed really down until about 3 days after I started giving him the medicine. And then he seemed to perk up again (but Henry's ALWAYS had a big appetite ).

I better not let Henry hear about the chicken breast piece Milko got! He'll start demanding some, too! It's funny that, before Henry, the girls didn't want table food of ANY kind, but now, AFTER Henry has arrived and they've seen him eat bits of chicken breast, etc., they want some too! Silly kitties!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Miss New Booty

Ohh poor Milko. Give him a snuggle from me and I hope he is feeling better soon!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
litter tray