Prescription medicine without the doctor? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Question Prescription medicine without the doctor?

Is there any way to get ahold of Baytril tablets without the whole visit to the vet part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I am assuming you want this antibiotic to give to one of your pets because something is wrong? Do you mind me asking why you would put your animal on such a potent antibiotic without proof of a defininate infection- or proof that the infecting organism is one that would respond to Baytril in the first place?(doing a culture and sensitivity test to identify the pathogen, and see what medication it responds to)
Over-use and mis-use of antibiotics has caused a surge in resistant organisms that require stronger and stronger drugs to treat. I would be very hesitant to administer any antibiotic to my animals without first consulting my vet. How do you know what the proper dose would be? It's dispensed based on the type of infection being treated, type of animal, the animal's weight....
I am sorry if I am not coming off here as a nice person Really I am- but your post just sent up some red flags.
Can you explain further? I will apologize a million times if I am way off base here

There are ways to buy it without going to your vet. Please make sure you know the proper way to order it, dosage etc.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

No probs! I wouldn't wanna misuse the stuff either! I'm quite sure of the dosage amount for the only purpose I would use it for: treatment for URI and only if mucus is present (1/2 tablet every 12 hours for as long as symptoms persist plus a couple days to prevent recurrence and/or bacterial resistance to the drug). No mucus means no medication necessary.

What I'm trying to do is give my kitty proper treatment without blowing $20 per vet visit. The vet really doesn't do much else in this case other than prescribe the drug. Vet visits will be in order for any other reason though of course. I'm also scoping for a second kitty and many of the cats at the shelter are infected with URI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:29 AM

My humane society, if you tell them the symptoms they will give meds for a URI if you got the cat there ands know it was coming back (The URI)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:33 PM

I can only suggest that if this is a reoccuring thing that your vet knows about, you might just be able to give them a call and ask if they can refill a prescription. Also if you are thinking of adopting a cat, be advised that they may be carriers of the feline leukemia. I would quarantine from my other pet until testing results were in... Just a suggestion!

Tags
humane society, vet visit, vet visits