Problem with Fable - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Problem with Fable

I love my cat but right now I'm very annoyed with him, I just don't know what to do with him on a night. He woke at 4 am and wouldn't let us sleep, he continually scratches at the carpet even if I put him in the spare bedroom and it's sooooo loud, we can't afford to replace the carpets we have. I've sprayed the carpets with citrus and I sat and squirted Fable with water from 4.30 until 5.30. Did it work? I think not! He has loads of toys upstairs to play with and we cart his big scratching post upstairs so basically what he's wanting is my attention. I have M.E. and the lack of sleep is making me ill.

He has the run of the house except the living room because that's where Belle lives but even if we didn't have her and he could go sit in his favourite place I know that he wouldn't. He'd be upstairs plaguing me!

He's an indoor kitty and my mum said that if he went out during the day then he wouldn't act like this but it isn't possible to let him out here.

I'm not going to give him away, I'm just so tired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:23 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Wow, does this sound familar. My gal does the same to me nightly except she uses the sides of my box springs of my bed to scratch on, then meows as she's jumping furniture to window sill to bed till she gets my attention. This goes on nightly waking me several times till I shut her out of the bedroom. Then she starts on my bedroom door. Eventually she ends up in the garage but gets so loud out there to get back in I finally give in. I've tried squirting water at her also but it works only temporary then she's back at it again. I've even tried not allowing her to sleep in the day hoping to force her to sleep at night she would be so exhausted but that didnt work either. She's 5 years and spayed so I havent a clue either lol. If you find something that works I'd love to give it a try also.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat used to do that...it was because she had no real exercise during the day (I was told cats are kinda nocturnal to change that habbit) so I started playing with her alot through out the day, bugging her when she was sleeping lol and I started feeding her at night, when she has a full belly she sleeps good...so since I changed all of that she now sleeps through the night...alot of the times on top of me, but she still sleeps lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

yeah I would recommend feeding huim closer to bed time if you have him on a schedule because I have noticed they tend to sleep after eating. Also, you don't have to let him out you just need to play with him. Get him some of those track toys maybe if he likes to chase around those balls.

I don't htink your carpets will be too bad from the scratching... I mean our cats do it and we haven't had troubles really. Also, if you can find a cheap mat at walmart to put on part of the carpet and when he scratches put him on there to scratch then he'll learn to scratch there.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I had a proper nights sleep!!!!!

I didn't let him sleep much yesterday, I played with him loads in the evening and made him silver foil balls to chase around. Then I put him in the kitchen all night and he seems fine, he hasn't scratched the walls and I knew it wouldn't matter if he did as Poppy already wrecked them when she was a pup.

As for feeding, he has kitten biscuits down all the time and gets some meat on a morning, I've tried giving him meat on a night but he just wastes it, he's a biscuit cat.

(He's already wrecked parts of our carpets especially at the side and right in front of the door.)

SwC, has this been going on for the whole of the 5 years that you've had your kitty?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

SwC, I've just had white vinegar recommended to me. Apparently if you spray it on your cat she should stop doing the bad behaviour eventually as she wont like the smell. I've been told by 3 people that it's safe.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Pretty much since she was a kitten yes. She'll bite your toes under the sheets anything she can to get your attention and loves to rough house. I swear she thinks she is still a kitten. Lol, she gets much much playtime and family interaction during the day. My prairie dogs get 2 hours (split in 2 sessions) of out of cage run time and she plays the entire time with them which reminds you of a horsetrack from room to room. Some nights are better than others such as last night she did sleep most of night without waking me but this is rare. I'll try the vinegar solution and thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
prairie dog, prairie dogs