PU Surgery Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Kel

PU Surgery Question

Hello everyone, I'm new here and happy to find a site with so many helpful people.

My cat Higgins has been through a lot in his short life. He's just a little over 1 year old and he has blocked up 3 times requiring emergency intervention and eventually leading to PU surgery. So we've had the surgery, he was better at first, then the nightmare started again. He has had trouble urinating just about every other day. He's been to the vet over and over again to help him pee. He's on Oxybutnin to keep his bladder from spasming while trying to go, and more Baytril incase there's an infection. The time before last that we were in, the Dr. found that he had what he felt was scar tissue growing inside his urethra. So he lasered it off, and it grew back the next day. Not as much, but it grew back. He's now waiting to see if it grows back bigger, at which point he will take a sample and have it tested for cancer. HOPEFULLY this is not the case.

I'm spent, emotionally and financially. Every day is another possibility for a problem and I'm just not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Tonight I got home from work and he had a very full bladder, but was unable to release it. Back to the vet, luckily he just needed a squeeze and it all came out. Tomorrow we have another appointment to see what's up now.

I love my vets, and they all love Higgins. He seems to be a special case since most cats handle PU surgery just fine. Has anyone else gone through what I'm going through? IS there a light at the end of this tunnel? I just want my poor kitty to heal from this and pee normal, and he's done anything but. I know he hesitates and doesn't try as hard to go as he should because I think it feels strange to him. That's part, if not most of the problem right now.

I just need someone to relate to since this is all new to me. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Wow...Poor sweet baby, I wish I had advice or experience in any of that, but I don't...but I will keep your kitty and you in my thoughts, I know someone here will have some helpful advice or knowledge on this topic, keep us updated on how Higgins is doing...poor baby must be so worn out

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.