Question? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question?

Our kittens are going thru a phase where when they use the litter box it reaks up the entire apartment. We've always fed them Purina Kitten Chow and I'm wondering if that could be the cause. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the smell is making me sick to my stomach right now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not much of a fan of Purina Kitten Chow at all, due to the low quality ingredients typically used. That can cause the feces to smell more potent, I believe. I would recommend slowly switching them to a high quality kitten food. Felidae, Wysong, and Wellness come to minds as brands to look for.

Check out this thread for links to ingredients.

You may also want to have some fecals done on them to look for GI parasites common in kittens.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Newborn Pup

Different foods will cause different odors in the droppings. Wet foods tend, in my experience, to be the worst but keep in mind they ain't roses your kittens are leaving in the litter box. It also depends on how well they cover their droppings and if the litter you use has deoderizers in it. We use the Costco cat litter ($6.87 per 30 lb container) and the stuff is as good or better than the much more expensive name brands or the bulk litter from the pet stores and this Costco product has no strange chemical odors like some deoderizing litter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have to agree with both Jade and Randy, it could be the food as well as the litter. Seeing as we are over here and have a limited source of good quality cat/kitten food we do use kitten chow for the strays (as the costs are out of pocket) and we have had no problems with it. We use Royal Canin for our cats (indoor cat) it is great food IMO and I know they sell it at Petsmart. For the kittens if you want a good quality food the one's Jade listed are great, but there is also babycat from Royal Canin that is also good quality kitten food. Royal canin has 2 different levels of kitten food, I think the 1-4 months is babycat and the 4-12 months of age is babykitten or something like that I can not remember.
Also not to sound harsh, but are you scooping the boxes out on a daily basis? This too can make a HUGE difference. I know we do our best to scoop everyday, however there are those days that we get busy and believe me when we skip a day we can definitely tell the difference....Pew!!! ..... How many litter boxes do you have for the 2 kittens? It is said that 1 box per cat/kitten is recommeneded plus 1 addtional so for 2 cats/kittens it is recommended to have 3 cat boxes, however 2 would be okay when you have more than one cat/kitten and have the right amount of boxes they tend to use one litter box for pooping and the other for pee (now not all cats/kittens will do this), however ours are pretty good at it. We have 7 cats/kittens in the house right now including fosters and only 6 boxes so yup we are a bad mommy and daddy
Best of luck to ya!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

We had that problem when we had cats...but we switched them to Nutro Brand kitten and cat foods and the problem dissipated...of course extra litter boxes and good litter make a world of difference as will scooping daily and changing litter with a full box scrub down weekly. We also added some baking soda to the bottom of the pan and put litter on top and that also helped curb odors (sp?)

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks girls for all your advice. Robert wants to know if would be benefitial to try and toilet train the girls. I"m personally skeptical but if yall think it would work we will possibly try it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Newborn Pup

We tried the toilet training once and it was a magnificant failure! It disturbed our cat's relationship with the litter box that took a long time to repair. You may have better luck than we did.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

They do sell a toilet training kit at petsmart (I think). Darren wanted to do that with our cats, but something about getting up in the middle of the night having to go use the toilet and just sitting down paying no attention and drowning one of my cat's just doesn't appeal to me
Better yet Darren said he would be afraid of waking up at 3am to get ready for work and go into the bathroom seeing our Tator sitting on the toilet reading a newspaper I tell ya he ain't right, hehe.....
on a more serious note if you are willing to do it, than go for it, I don't see any harm in trying

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hahaha you just reminded me of the dog on Bruce Almighty LOL.... I could just see ya at 3 in the morning accidentally sittin on Tator....poor kitty

HUGS

Play lots in Italy for me
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

lol I was thinking more like the cat in "meet the parents"
Play what's play? lol.... we're too busy with the zoo!!!
Hugs to ya

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I use Royal Canin too, Kim, and I agree it's a good food for kitties! Royal Canin Babycat 34 and Kitten 34 are the same food but Babycat is in smaller pieces for smaller mouths. So, you'd want to get your kittens Kitten 34 since the pieces are a bit bigger and encourage chewing.

Scooping does wonders, but the cat covering the poo does wonders, too! I remember when Galina from when she was 1-3 months old and she SELDOM covered her poo. Let me tell you, that was horrible!

I wanted to try and train my kitties to use the toilet, but after one of them slipped and fell in, the other refused to try it. I guess if you want to do the toilet thing, be sure to get a new toilet seat--one of those padded ones that aren't slippery.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
cat food, high quality kitten food, indoor cat, kitten food, litter box, litter boxes, pet store, pet stores, poor kitty, royal canin, wet food