Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cool Question

Why is it when a Cat comes to sit on your lap, they insist on sticking their bums in your face!?! If im lying down, Smudge does this! not only that she settles down and starts hitting me in the face with her tail, WHILE i'm stroking her and she is purring......Or is this just Smudge?

OKAY yeah I know its stupid question, but i'm actually interested on your theories on this......

An rud is fhaich a dheanamh, 's fhaich e a deanamh ceart!

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the **** alone.

It's great to get back to nature. But instead of taking off all you clothes and running down the high street, why not 'become' a fruit? To achieve this, put some weird floaty music on, lie down, relax and say to yourself, "I am an apple. I am an apple. I can feel the wind brush against me as I hang in the tree." In no time at all you'll find that the worries of the day will melt away, and your only concern will be whether you're about to be turned into a pie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

lol can't say I've had issues with my cats doing this I can see how it be annoying, though
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My kitty doesn't sit on laps but when I go to stroke him he always sticks his bum in my face, I have no idea why but it's not pleasant!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:50 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

One of my cats always does this to me but never to anyone else, another of my cats does it about once a week and the other never does it... I really have no idea why they'd do it, but then again, I've never really thought about it.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Title Spy

Seems like all cats have that butt-in-the-air mechanism when you pet near their tail. Lol, I'd really like to know if there was some biological reason behind that.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 PM

I think it's a mating reflex, atleast with the girls.

I got a valentine!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 PM

And now that I think about it, I've never noticed either of my boys do that...

I got a valentine!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Title Spy

I've only ever had male cats and all of them have done it, to different degrees. Hmmm...

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Our male cat was the worst at it... my cat does it once in a while. If you watch they will do it to other cats too actually. I knwo that rubbing can be a way of marking territory maybe its related...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Millie does that all the time, but her favorite thing to do is to try to knead my head while she wraps her body around my neck! She positions herself so that her belly is over my mouth when i'm trying to be on the computer or when i'm sleeping. I'm always having to push her away. I have no idea why she does it though.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
Seems like all cats have that butt-in-the-air mechanism when you pet near their tail. Lol, I'd really like to know if there was some biological reason behind that.
That's what I think, too. All my cats will do that if I pet them near their tails.

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

mine does that to, I have no idea why...my daughter says its so we can sniff it like out in the wild, to let us know who she is and and that info lol and its the submisive...shes 11 and apparently thought it out lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

kneading I have read is a cat reverting back to kittenhood of sorts... that they do it like they once kneaded their mother's stomach to get more milk. Also, they probably do it to make spaces more comfy. move the blanket around.

I think she may choose your head or face for whatever reason. Dominance... perhaps she understands being face to face to be more intimately close with you or something.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

[quote=Keritsubo]kneading I have read is a cat reverting back to kittenhood of sorts... that they do it like they once kneaded their mother's stomach to get more milk. Also, they probably do it to make spaces more comfy. move the blanket around. [quote]

Smudge does that to me! At night time when i'm in bed, she'll curl up and start kneading my stomach and sooking on the blanket till she falls sleep.

Also why is it when your reading the paper, they'll come and sit either on the paper your reading, if the paper is layed out on summit or if your holding, thats when they decide i want attention and climb into your lap? thus getting in the way......every single cat i've had has done this to me!

An rud is fhaich a dheanamh, 's fhaich e a deanamh ceart!

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the **** alone.

It's great to get back to nature. But instead of taking off all you clothes and running down the high street, why not 'become' a fruit? To achieve this, put some weird floaty music on, lie down, relax and say to yourself, "I am an apple. I am an apple. I can feel the wind brush against me as I hang in the tree." In no time at all you'll find that the worries of the day will melt away, and your only concern will be whether you're about to be turned into a pie.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

oh that... that I think is simply a bitof a territorial thing.The newspaper is in your lap... its taking up your attention. Thus, it must be taken down!! My cat lays on books homework, news papers and my laptop. She doesn't do it as often. My laptop imparticular was of interest I think cause again... its in my lap and its warm. I think she's especially fond of it for radiating heat.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.

Tags
humane society, male cat, teddy bear