Question about Hobbes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:19 AM
krislynch

Question about Hobbes

Hello:

I have a question about Hobbes, my 4-year old cat. I'm new to this forum. I've had Hobbes since February and this is my first self-owned pet. Of course, I realize that no one really OWNS a cat.

Anyway, I have a question about his eyes. He has a little pinkishness on the teary part of one eye. That is, the redness isn't IN his eye but on the tear duct. He doesn't appear to be in any pain and when I've cleaned the area, he doesn't flinch any more than normal. It looks like he might have gotten something in his eye and it caused a little bit of irritation. Still, I'm worried about the little guy because I don't know if he's in pain at all. Like I said, he doesn't appear to be - even when I clean the area.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Jorgha

Could be something in the eye, could be a clogged tear duct (in which case you just massage it). If you see any drainage that isn't clear (like greenish-yellow) and that gums up the eye you really need to get the cat to the vet. It wouldn't hurt to put a call in to the vet just in case Hobbs hurt it some how which is another possiblity.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:50 PM
Princess in Waiting

**Dragging out my books again **!

It sounds as though his third eyelid has come up partially over his eye, which would indicate some sort of either infection or foreign object in his eye. Cats have a top and botton lid like most of us do, but they also have a third eyelid which comes from the inside corner.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd take him in and have him looked at. There may be more going on than it looks like, or it may be a simple case of a shot of antibiotics, take this liquid home and give it to him 3 times a day (yeah, right) and he'll be fine.

Let me know what you find out. Will be thinking about you & Hobbes until then.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:40 PM
krislynch

I'm taking him after work today. I'll let you know what the vet tells me.

Thanks!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:58 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'm really interested in knowing what's going on. That third eyelid could be stuck in the "down" position which would cause irritation too. But it doesn't sound critical.

Scratch him behind the ears for me - or at that favorite spot that all cats have right at the base of their tail!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:59 AM
krislynch

Hello:

Hobbes is fine. In fact, I was going to post last night when we got home from the vet, but I couldn't get logged on.

The vet said it looked like he got something in his eye and it was causing some slight irritation. She gave me some noxy-something to give him. I just have to give him about 2 drops 2x/day for the next week or so. Of course, easier said than done because he hates it. It must hurt some because he normally lets me do stuff do him without too much trouble.

Other than that, I found out that he's still putting on a little bit of weight, so I'm going to have to do something about that. I plan to post another thread to get some diet tips for him.

Thanks!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:23 AM
Princess in Waiting

Glad to hear it, Kris. Yeah, they see that medicine bottle and start to run. First couple of times are no problem, but after that you have to get really inventive. I have a hard time even putting Advantage on my cat-once a month!

Let's don't talk about animal diets. I've got 2 fat Cavaliers, the cat I just lost had weighed 16 lbs before he got sick (then got down to 14) and I'm not sure how much the other cat weighs, but I know he's an arm full! They look at me and think of food!

Critter

CRITTERCALL