Question for Jade or other Vet Oriented PT members... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Question Question for Jade or other Vet Oriented PT members...

Can someone give me tips on how to "palpate" Sneakers' bladder? They explained how to do it last night (this morning) at the ER, but it was 3:00 am and I want to make sure that I'm doing this right. They said you can feel the bladder behind the rib cage, and I should gently squeeze and move my hand towards Sneakers' back-end. Has anyone done this before? I tried it a few minutes ago and it caused him to growl at me and go in the litter box and urinate a little, but I didn't get a stream like they did at the ER. Any suggestions? Its hard for me to tell if I'm pressing on where I'm supposed to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:23 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

It sounds like you are doing it properly. However, given the condition (BTW, I will be responding to your other thread) that he is in and the irritation of his urethra, you probably won't get a stream of urine because he is expelling his bladder so frequently. Why did the vet suggest palpating his bladder?

Candice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycane
It sounds like you are doing it properly. However, given the condition (BTW, I will be responding to your other thread) that he is in and the irritation of his urethra, you probably won't get a stream of urine because he is expelling his bladder so frequently. Why did the vet suggest palpating his bladder?
They suggested I do that if he looks like he is having a hard time. They said to feel his bladder and they showed me how small it should be. If it gets any larger than what they showed me, they said to bring him back. He was straining over the box so I wanted to see if I could get a stream of urine out. He hasn't been going in streams but he has been producing urine, and his bladder (if I felt the right organ lol) doesn't seem large. This is frustrating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

It sounds as if you are doing it right...he urinated, so you got something moving! Even if it's not a big stream, if his bladder wasn't all that big, chances are, he only had a little in there but still felt like he had to go. That's happened to me before, thought I had to pee like a racehorse, get to the bathroom and like 2 drops come out I HATE that!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks guys. I still don't know if I'm doing it right. Its so hard to tell what is what in there! He is so uptight too. He makes his muscles hard like a rock. I keep feeling around that area when he stretches out for me to pet him, and he doesn't seem bothered by it. I guess thats a good thing?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:32 PM

I am a vet tech, we do this ALOT! The way you know if you are pressing on the right thing is if nothing happends. If nothing happends then you have something else! If something comes you will know when the blatter is emty because, before it will feel like balloon filled with water or air, after it will just feel like piece of skin in there! That is how it works!

Tags
litter box, vet tech