Question from my MIL - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Question from my MIL

She has an 11 year old grey cat that she said seems to have a white (maybe yellow) vaginal discharge lately. To the point that she is leaving wet spots where she lays.

She isn't fixed, and has never been pregnant, indoors only, and has light, minimal heat cycles.

My MIL said that its not urine she's leaving behind, but wonders if anyone could possibly know what it might be and if its something that needs treated or be seen by a vet, or else if its something that will just go away or is something that isn't a problem and might be normal for old age??

Any thoughts or what would be appreciated.

-Mallory

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It could be a pyometra (i.e. very bad uterine infection) or it could be something else much simpler, but either way, definitely get it to a vet. A pyometra can be deadly and often requires immediate surgery.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, she should visit the vet ... perhaps the cat is in good enough health to get fixed? This would probably be best for its health anyways provided the vet says she is up to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Part of the Pack

From what you have described i'd definately say that your cat has pyometra.

It is known that the signs depend on whether the cervix is open or closed. If the cervix is open, any infected material (pus) can drain freely from the uterus. In these "open" pyometras, you may see a white or brownish discharge coming from the vulva or sticking to the hairs below the vulva or on the underside of the tail. You may also notice soiling of the bedding or furniture where the cat has rested.

As Jade said that pyo's can be fatal if not treated, so i'd take your cat too the vet ASAP and get her booked in.

ae

animalexpert - a life long learner

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thanks guys. I'll tell her what you said. Unfortunately, whatever it is, I have the feeling that she won't do anything about it. Especially if it seems to get "better" in her opinion.

Thanks for replying though. I'll print out your replies and leave them for her to see when she gets home.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.foxvalleypets.org/cats/?details=28&page=682

The kitty could truly die in the next few days if it is a pyometra.

Stephanie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thanks Steph. I know and understand that when a pet of any kind needs medical treatment, just go and do it. She on the other hand, apparently has a different opinion.

Once this kitty got fleas so badly that her whole body was nothing but scabs and more scabs under her fur. She wouldn't take her to the vet, but rather only took a comb and brushed out the scabs that were falling off (from scratching)...

All I can say is thankfully, she knows a woman who is a vet (her name is Michelle and Melis, me and Cindy all know her personally) who she see's on occasion so MAYBE MAYBE Cindy will talk to her about it and Michelle will be able to persuade her into bring Meha in for a check. Unfortunately, my MIL thinks pretty lowly of me and any opinions I have on the matter of pets, despite I'm way more self-educated then she is...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Oh I forgot to say, I printed out the replies to the thread and also just printed out the info you provided... I'm sticking it to their frige right now.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Just wanted to update:

I gave my MIL the info and she eventually said she saw it on the fridge. We went out to dinner with the vet tech I was talking about before, so she got the chance to ask Michelle about it. Michelle said it sounds likely that Meha had Pyometra. So she gave Cindy some prices and the next day Cindy called the vet and set an appointment for this past Friday.

I guess that before she took her in, Meha's drainage had stopped. Cindy told me that had I not told her what you guys said and had talked to Michelle about it, she would've figured it was something that Meha's immune system fought off and let it be. But also said that she felt like her belly was hard.

So at the vets, the vet doesn't even test her to see if that's what it is for sure, but they spay her right away. She is doing fine now it seems. She's on antibiotics.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Im glad she got her spayed...Im glad Cindy listened to you...I def. didnt think she would.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The doc probably palpated (felt) a large uterus on the physical exam. Considering the history of discharge, it's pretty reasonable to assume that it was a pyometra if he felt an enlarged uterus and go straight to surgery.

I'm glad she took her in.

Stephanie

Tags
doing fine, heat cycle, vet tech