A quick question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Naefalia

A quick question...

G'day, folks!

Got a small series of questions here... would simply love to hear some opinions and/or tips on what has been concerning me for the past few weeks... and frankly, has been driving me crazy with worry at certain points.

I apologize in advance, for how scattered this question may be... I don't even know where to begin.

Come July 9th, I'll be going away on vacation until the 26th. This shall be seventeen days away from home, roughly... and, this stems one of my biggest concerns. I have two lovely kitties, named Mocha and Latte. Both are two-years-old, brothers from the same litter, neutered... and have all their shots. But, see... they are TOTAL 'momma's boys'. They are indoor cats, so they're always within the safety of my home; therefore, they're ALWAYS in contact with people. They just /love/ attention!

I've never left my boys for more than a week, in the past... they've always had people to take care of them, so there was never a need for kennel booking. (That would probably terrify them.)

For nearly three weeks, in July, I'll be away... and my step-brother (Who is /very/ well trusted) shall be staying at the home to watch over the two cats, but won't be getting home until the evenings, when his work shift ends. The kitties won't be alone... but, here's my question...

Just so my furbabies won't get too lonesome, is there any way that I can keep them as comfortable as possible, as if I didn't even leave? Any tips that you guys would have, from experience, that would help in alleviating this worry? For example... would leaving some of my clothing or belongings on the bed be a good idea, so they can always have my 'scent' nearby... or, how about keeping a radio on low volume, during the days to reduce the silence? Those are just some thoughts, mainly heard from word of mouth... I would simply love to hear more tactics!

Thank you all so very much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 05:28 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. Your scent is all over the house for them. I am sure they will be sleeping in your bed while you are away. As long as they get their basic necessities and a little love a day they should be just fine. Maybe get them a couple new toys to play with while you are gone but in all honesty they would probably be more upset if you separated them from each other. They will definitely miss you but will be very excited on your return.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Erin

ask your brother to leave a tv on for them during the day when no one is there, we do that for our dogs when both my mom and I are gone all day. We also leave a radio on at all times in the guinea pig room, so they aren't sitting in silence for the most part!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 08:59 PM

I set the sleep timer for two hours, so the first two hours the cats have TV so it doesn't seem as long!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

My TV stays on all of the time, even if I just run out for lunch or something. We're all addicted to the noise!

When I had more than one cat, I had a problem sometimes when I would leave them here and have a neighbor feed them. They liked to pee on the beds and/or sofa. We bought cheapy shower curtains and put them under a quilt on the sofa and under a sheet or quilt on the beds so that the only thing messed up was washable and mattresses and other expensive items weren't ruined. Two males left together can get a little testy - brothers & neutered or not!!

Have a great trip! And don't be surprised if they turn their noses up at you when you return; mine always did! (How dare I leave for days without them?)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
guinea pig, indoor cat, indoor cats