Raw diets for cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Raw diets for cats

My husband and I have just in the past several months been trying to eat a more natural and organic diet ourselves, and I've been researching better diets for cats, also. How many of you feed your cats a raw diet; and do you make it yourself or purchase it? I tried a can of Evo and none of my cats would touch it. Does it take time for them to get used to it and "convert" them? My Lucy (the other 2 passed away this year) is my only cat now, and she is ridiculously overweight and I honestly don't feed her much at all. This concerns me. She is the only FAT cat I have ever had, and since we found her as a 6-month old starving kitten, we wonder if her metabolism is just very messed up or if there's something we can do other than feed her "diet" food. I know her weight can be a serious health issue, but otherwise, she doesn't seem hindered by it at all. She's 9 years old and still plays, runs, jumps, and is very happy. She weighs 22 lbs., BTW.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Evo is not raw food. Bravo, and I *think* Nature's Pride are raw meat distributors for cats and dogs; Bravo has got different product options like without bone, with bone, etc etc, and many different types of meat such as Quail and etc. A lot of cats don't like Evo, so she's not just being picky, As far as raw you can either purchase raw meat, or purchase live food like mice and feed them to her. Cats were designed to eat the ill and old, so whether the meat is organic or not it doesn't really matter. Whatever you feel comfortable giving her. I'm sure the raw meat or live-fed diet would be greatly beneficial to her and turn her health around in ways you never expected. But it's more cat-appropriate to feed them live food just because the bones of mice and chicks are smaller and thus easier for the cat to eat, whereas the bones in say steak or other large game meat is much too large and thick for cats to eat, and that's what cats eat; they eat the meat, the bones, and some of the stomach contents of their prey.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks for answering! Do you buy those products at a store, or online? I have read about preparing them their own food, and it sounds like an awful lot of trouble. Do you really give your cat live prey to catch? I know that's their nature, but not sure I could stand to do it. We had mice get in the house alot when we lived in the country, but have lived here in town 10 years and never seen a single one. Despite how fat Lucy is and obviously loves to eat, she never has been interested at all in any of our "people" food. She'll only eat her catfood.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycat View Post
thanks for answering! Do you buy those products at a store, or online? I have read about preparing them their own food, and it sounds like an awful lot of trouble. Do you really give your cat live prey to catch? I know that's their nature, but not sure I could stand to do it. We had mice get in the house alot when we lived in the country, but have lived here in town 10 years and never seen a single one. Despite how fat Lucy is and obviously loves to eat, she never has been interested at all in any of our "people" food. She'll only eat her catfood.
As far as I know you can buy Bravo products both in store and online, and I think you can only purchase Nature's Variety products in store. I've never used either, I feed my cats Wysong, but I've been looking into feeding live, and plan on doing it when we're able. I just need the cages to keep the mice in.

You don't need to be around your cat when you're feeding them live, but I definitely recommend starving them. They naturally hunt and kill mice, but if they're being fed by their humans, they learn to expect it. Thus, the mouse got killed by instinct from the cat, not because the cat was hunger-driven. So when you present them live food, they need to be hungry, and I do mean HUNGRY. Because then they'll kill it and eat it out of sheer desperation and start to get the idea the longer you do it, that this is what they're supposed to be eating now. But like I said; you don't need to be around. You can lock her in the bathroom with the live food, and as long as the bathroom is blocked in such a way the prey can't escape, just leave her in there for a while until you think she's killed and devoured it. Or if it's been real quiet for a while, call on someone do peek through into the room and if she's killed, and eaten the mouse.

It really is the best way to feed them, because feeding a raw-meat diet does require a lot of work. You need to feed them meat, and raw bones small enough for a cat to be able to eat, and you'd need to feed them small quantities of veggies and plant material and stuff like they'd find when consuming their natural prey. I mean, with the larger prey, I imagine they don't consume all of the stomach contents, but as far as I know, since mice are so small, they probably consume every bit of it.

Anywho, just my suggestion. My fiance's cat is always crying at me to provide food for her since I'm the one that feeds them, and it makes me feel bad because cats were designed to be able to fend for themselves WITHOUT us. So now deriving comfort in the food that we're giving them(which is why it's sometimes VERY difficult to switch a cat off of the type of food it's been eating since kitten-food, because they derive comfort out of it, just like our species derives comfort out of food), and then they eat out of hunger, boredom, and comfort, and get overweight, :/

But in any case...I imagine hunting prey is fun. they don't know which direction their prey is going to turn, and sure as **** beats staring at the same four walls, and all the same objects inside the home each and every day while their human gets to go outside the house and explore. That's how I see it, anyway...and that's the other reason I wanna feed our cats live food, because it will give them entertainment. Fortunately, cats were designed to derive a death blow, so the prey feels nothing. So they don't suffer or anything. In fact, that's why I think it's a better idea to starve the cat prior to feeding them live food, so they hunt and kill more quickly because they're hungry, and that way the prey suffers less. Besides, with live food you can control what their prey eats, and thus, how nutritious the prey is for when your cat consumes them. For a diet such as raw meat, you don't know the true nutritional quality of the meat, because you weren't the one feeding them.

*shrugs* Again, that's just how I see it as, ^^
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Very interesting, and good points. Certainly gives me something to think about. My #1 reason for wanting cats (or whatever pet I may want) is to give them a happy life. I get so aggravated at people who go to breeders because THEY want a specific cat for THEIR desires....my satisfaction and fulfillment comes from giving the neediest cat a good home, and my reward is seeing them enjoy their life to the fullest. Wish everyone felt that way!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Personally, I would not feed your cat live prey. First off, I don't know where you would get these mice, but unless you catch them from a field in your backyard, they're probably eating the same kinds of stuff you don't want your cat to eat. Everyone here knows the sicknesses that come from pet store animals, and I'm not sure any breeder is going to sell their mice to you so your cat can eat them, or possibly not eat them.

I have been interested in this subject as well, but I am taking a different approach. In my town, there are lots of locally-owned farms and plenty of places that have their own chickens and such. What I have been doing is calling them and asking about possibly purchasing chicken products from them, stuff that they wouldn't eat or sell themselves (hearts, gizzards, livers and such). That way, you know that your pet is getting the highest standard of organic.

The issue with store-bought organic is that there are certain rules for what can and can't be called organic. Some pesticides and weed-killers, believe it or not, can be used and still be sold as organic. So I would say your best bet is to go to local farms and ask for those chicken or beef or goat by-products. Some may be willing to sell them to you, but some just give them away!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Personally, I would not feed your cat live prey. First off, I don't know where you would get these mice, but unless you catch them from a field in your backyard, they're probably eating the same kinds of stuff you don't want your cat to eat. Everyone here knows the sicknesses that come from pet store animals, and I'm not sure any breeder is going to sell their mice to you so your cat can eat them, or possibly not eat them.

I have been interested in this subject as well, but I am taking a different approach. In my town, there are lots of locally-owned farms and plenty of places that have their own chickens and such. What I have been doing is calling them and asking about possibly purchasing chicken products from them, stuff that they wouldn't eat or sell themselves (hearts, gizzards, livers and such). That way, you know that your pet is getting the highest standard of organic.

The issue with store-bought organic is that there are certain rules for what can and can't be called organic. Some pesticides and weed-killers, believe it or not, can be used and still be sold as organic. So I would say your best bet is to go to local farms and ask for those chicken or beef or goat by-products. Some may be willing to sell them to you, but some just give them away!
Sickness from pet store mice, nor wild mice would affect cats. They, along with dogs were designed to hunt, kill, and eat the ill, and diseased, to weed out the weak ones from their prey so that the strong may survive and produce more.

Any organic meat farmer will answer any questions that any potential consumer asks of them. How the meat is handled, what the animals ate; if they were free-range, grass-fed, etc etc..