A Raw Food Diet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up A Raw Food Diet

Hi Everyone!
Just wondering if any of you have tried these new pre-made raw food diets available in the freezer section of better pet stores?
One of my kitties, Ariel, has had chronic diaharrea since birth, he was a rescue...but after one day on raw, he seems cured!!!
I give him "Healthy Paws" in the day time...with California Natural dry alongside and he has taken quite nicely to it.
I do smear a bit of beef in broth 'baby food' on top to add a stronger smell, and he eats quickly then.
My other cat, Nate, wants nothing to do with the raw...no matter how tempting I make it. He seems to be sticking to mostly dry.
Have any of you experienced anything like this? Will only dry hurt Nate?
He may come around to enjoying the raw with time.
Check out these web sites if you are interested.
www.healthy-paws.com and www.natureslink.com
Olwyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:49 AM

Only dry cat food would never hurt a cat. It's better for them in the long run, seeing as anything wet sticks to their teeth and causes decay. That's why so many older people who don't understand that, tell me their cats don't have teeth as they buy 10 cases of fancy feast.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Lor

Sometimes canned food is really high in sugar too. I feed my cats wet food 1 a week at most, and they don't mind. I would like to try the raw diet with my cats as well, but one of them hates raw meat too. She seems to enjoy playing with raw meat more than eating it, and as much as I like finding meat chucks around the house ( or sometimes stuck to the wall )

What pet stores do you buy the pre-made stuff from? I've never seen it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Romping Ratties

My cats are fed both kibble and raw food. They don't like the raw food as much but even feeding a little bit to them has decreased my cats vomiting by at least 40%. I get my raw food in pre packaged bags at my local Holistic vet.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 05:03 PM

Yeah I've seen that in the freezer section and they say that cats can be very finicky. I have bought it for my dog and he eventually eats it but prefers just plain raw meat to it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 PM

I feed all of my dogs the BARF diet and it works well for them. I have no idea how raw food would work for a cat though (I'm sure, probably the same?)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:35 PM

I know a lot of people like raw diets here ... if it works for you then that is cool.

Personally, I don't feed raw meats to either dogs or cats. I've heard too many cases of salmonella poisonings in kids to do so.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 02:29 PM

Elfomatic I don't think the kids got salmonella from the animals' food maybe some undercooked food they ate but I can't imagine anyone letting the kids by the dogs food if it is given to them raw. That is just plain poor parenting if so.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 02:16 AM

Salmonella is passed on to humans through food that contains fecal matter ... I wouldn't be worried about a kid eating the food directly .. but coming in contact indirectly with fecal matter that might be contaminated with salmonella. There are over 200 different types of salmonella in the world and of those only about 4 are dangerous. So, yes, it is a long shot. Even so, your cat/dog/other animal wouldn't necessarily display symptoms if they contracted one of these strains.

There was a case not too long ago in USA Today of a kid coming in contact with a pet carrier that a cat with salmonella had been transported in. The kid didn't wash their hands before contact with their mouth (as kids often do) and contracted salmonella.

It may be a long shot but it is very much possible.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/disea...monellosis.htm -- CDC -- Healthy Pets, Healthy People.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 02:28 AM

I don't want anyone to be confused ... I think the raw food diet is really awesome ... especially with the results it gives ... I was just clarifying what I said before ... not downing the diet.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:13 AM

Understood, thanks for clarifiying that. I guess I am just thinking that my kids are pretty safe over all. But that is a potencial way to contract it, kids do tend to not wash before putting there hands in their mouths.

Hey so did you start your cat on raw Olwyn? Or try that food?

Last edited by lvnmycritters; 05-01-2004 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfomatic
Salmonella is passed on to humans through food that contains fecal matter ... I wouldn't be worried about a kid eating the food directly .. but coming in contact indirectly with fecal matter that might be contaminated with salmonella. There are over 200 different types of salmonella in the world and of those only about 4 are dangerous. So, yes, it is a long shot. Even so, your cat/dog/other animal wouldn't necessarily display symptoms if they contracted one of these strains.
I've actually been wondering that myself. We don't have kids yet, but are planning on starting a family within the next year. I wonder if I'll continue to feed my dogs the BARF diet even after I have children....
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Nicole I think if you just make it a habit for your kids to wash their hands before eating anything they would do it without even thinking.....It's all about training the kids when they are young!lol By the time they'd be going to the cupboards themselves to get food out they should be understanding that if you don't wash your hands before you eat you might get really sick and should do it! I have always been made to wash my hands before I ate and we didn't even get a dog until I was 8!! What about all the other germs out there in the world that you pick up from playing!

Sorry to get side tracked here!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My cats only get that once a week. I think it's not a bad thing, but it's not really good to have as the only part of their diet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
barf diet, canned food, cat food, dry cat food, pet store, pet stores, raw food diet, wet food