Really need help with cat issue... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Really need help with cat issue...

I've got 2 kitties, 1 rescued male thats almost 3 and a female pure himilayan that just turned 1. Well we've never had a problem with our little girl in the past, but for the past month she doesn't want to use the litter box for anything. She will go all over the house except for in the box and it's driving me crazy. I can't figure out why she's doing it but I'm getting tired of cleaning it up and the smell from the couch. She'll go on the couch,on the floor,on anything that my have fallen onto or been left on the floor(then it has to be thrown away). We've got 2 litter boxes in the house both that get scooped out constantly and changed weekly. So why is it that she does this? I would take any ideas or suggestions, at this point I've try anything. I don't think it would be an issue with our other cat because they've been together for 11 months with no issues, they get along great....help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:23 PM

First you need to figure out if it is a physical ailment or a behavioral one. s she spayed? It could very well be as simple as just having a urinary tract infection or bladder infection, if she isn't spayed female cats can mark as well or something else that a vet would be able to diagnose. Behaviorally this could happen do to something changing in the environment like food, different litter, moving the furniture. Is she pooping in the litter box or is that done outside the box also?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM

I had a cat years ago that peed everywhere when he had kidney stones. The vet told me to change his diet, I did and it worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:35 PM

If she does have kidney stones which could be the case add water to her food...she may not be drinking enough. I would vouch though that it was a UTI or shes in heat (if she's not spayed) and they definitely spray EVERYWHERE...take her to a vet to rule out a UTI or Kidney stones and if she is in heat find out what you can do to possibly stop the spraying.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Miss New Booty

Dena asked some good questions. Like she said, is she peeing and pooping outside the box? Can you tell if she is urinating in puddles or if she is spraying? Has anything changed in the last month, ie: new litter, new food, new litter box? My cat Snuggles was not happy when we got a litter robot that was hooded and that's where his behavioral urination began. He would pee on the carpet to let us know he didn't like that cover! If it is behavioral, there is something you can get called Feliway, it helps with stress and controlling urination outside the box, etc. My vet reccomended it, too.
http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html
I would definately have a vet check though, to rule out UTI's or any other health issue. There is medication to help if nothing else helps and if it is behavioral, but your vet would talk to you about that.
Also, what are you cleaning it with? Simple solution and Nature's Miracle are great because they have enzymes to get out the smell, also vinegar and water mixture works, too. Although I do know how hard to get smells out is, but make sure to clean it with something like that so your kitty doesn't smell it and go back to that spot.
Is there any straining or squatting when she is doing this? Those signs could indicate a UTI. Snuggles had a UTI 2 months ago, he was straining to pee around my house on the rugs and off to the ER vet we went. We caught a UTI right when it was starting.
I hope everything is ok with your kitty! I see your from Orlando area. That's where I'm at, too.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

She is spayed, She was spayed right after we got her. She pees and poops out of the litter box.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 PM

I have the same problem. I have a cat called Teddy Bear. He is about 14 years old. We rescued him from the shelter when he was about8 years old. We have always had other cats, so no one here is new to him so to speak. He is neutered and has been checked by a vet and other than a few missing teeth, hes in perfect health. The last month or so, he has been pooing by the kitchen door to the back porch. Always in the same place. I tried to put him his own litter box there, didnt help he would just go outside of it. We have always used the same litter and always fed the same foods. Hes in perfect health and acts normally. I have no idea why hes doing this but its so frequent now. Never pees though outside the box, always pees in the box. ??Really confusing and getting to be a pain in the butt to clean up everyday. Any suggestions?

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, male cat, teddy bear, urinary tract infection