Really, really odd..... please, need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Really, really odd..... please, need advice

As some of you know, my cat had kittens a few months back.. well we still have all 3... two boys and a girl.... well i just noticed today that when it looks like Smokey (my unfixed male) is gonna play with the kitten, he actually tries to hump them... the boys, not even the girl... how can i stop this? he just started today (well i just noticed today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

humping when not sexual is generally a dominance issue....he is trying to let his brothers know he is boss that's all!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

How old are the kittens? It may be time to get them fixed.

I know that puppies sometimes hump for no particular reason at all, even before they reach sexual maturity. It's not so much a dominance issue so much as it is, "Hey! Look what I can do! This is kind of neat ... Don't know why I like it, but it's fun!"

I would ask your vet about it, though. Because depending on their age, they could be becoming sexually mature. And if that's the case, best to get them neutered now before they start spraying. THAT would be one VERY nasty habit to break!

Keeps us updated about the kitties.

And ... !?

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I don't remeber exactly when the kittens were born, so I don't know there age. I have never experienced cats humping one another, other then reaction to a cat in heat. I too would suggest that it would be time to fix the kittens. If the one male has matured quickly, you could end up with a serious cat fight on your hands.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Quote:
my cat had kittens a few months back
I would definitely look into early spay/neuter for your kittens...especially if there is an unfixed male. Even better, I would get the other male fixed as well. I don't know if the first was an accidental litter but you probably don't want another one (and we know that the world doesn't need it either!).

My fixed male tried to mount my fixed female as well. It is still considered sexual aggression (even though he can't act on it).

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

its not the kittens who are humping... the kittens were born in October, so they're not even 4 months old, so no, im not fixing them (mainly because only one is mine [who is getting fixed] but two are going to different homes but not for a month or so).. my cat Smokey is about 3.. he isnt fixed and he is the one humping the kittens.. and actually, its not just the kittens now.. i witnessed him trying to mount my dog
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:00 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

I understand that the kittens aren't doing the humping. I was suggesting that the kittens are fixed because it will prevent Smokey from impregnating the female. Plus, having your cats fixed is the most reponsible decision if you do not plan on breeding them. Your female kitten will reach sexual maturity around 5 months, maybe earlier. If Smokey is the father of these kittens, you should not take the chance that he will breed her. Even if he isn't the father, you probably still don't need another litter of kittens.

Candice

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It is always BEST to spay/neuter for the animal's health. Kittens that are only 4 months old are NOT too young to be spayed/neutered. Just because the kittens aren't going to be living with you on a permanent level doesn't mean you can't show some responsibility towards the new owners and have them fixed. This is the trouble we see all the time over here, and it kills me. Candice is right female kittens usually reach their sexual maturity at or around 5 months of age, if your male cat isn't fixed and you don't plan on fixing the kittens how do you plan on stopping another litter from being bred? If your not going to get them fixed because of the typical "I can't afford it" excuse (I'm not saying this is you) then please do some research as most humane society's offer a low-cost spay/neuter clinic or they will offer a certificate for you to take to a willing vet, for example back in Virginia we would go to the "Tidewater Humane Society" the main office and would pay them $30, they would give us a certificate that we would take to a vet on their list and the spaying/neutering was done. By doing this the list will provide several different vet's which would give you the opportunity to call and ask questions, so that before taking your cat(s) in you would feel comfortable about the vet/hospital they were going to.
Please Please don't think of this as a lecture, but if your not fixing them to breed, I hope your breeding for the right reasons.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

hey, guess what, i cant afford it. and thats not an excuse. for one, no smokey is not the father. the father is gabe, my roommates cat. and the mother, devon, is not my cat either. she is our friends cat who we are watching... so technically these are not my responsibility... i have nothing against fixing my cats or my dog, but i really cant afford to fix cats for OTHER people because i know i will never get re-imbursed for it. so if anyone should take the responsility for the other two kittens, its them, not me.. i still havent been paid back for taking them to the vet...... i didnt intend on getting told repeatedly to get my cat fixed when i posted... Smokey isnt fixed because he used to be my mothers cat until this past summer when i took him in and she never got him fixed... obviously theres something wrong with Smokey if hes trying to HUMP MY DOG... so now why dont you respond to that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Quote:
obviously theres something wrong with Smokey if hes trying to HUMP MY DOG... so now why dont you respond to that.
I thought that I did...Smokey is displaying sexual aggression. It is common among fixed and unfixed cats. If you want more information, Google it.

And despite these cats not being "your responsibility", you are going to be responsible for another litter of kittens if you do not act on this situation quickly.

Smokey is your cat, and you are responsible for any kittens he makes. That could cost much more than the cost to neuter him. If you cannot afford it, look into the Humane Society options that Navywife posted.

Somewhere along the line, someone needs to take responsibility for these cats. Why not step up and be the responsible one? If you can't afford to fix them, at least keep them separated.

Candice

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

smokey is getting fixed when i take sebastian in to get fixed for one .. and by then, thatll be in March, early April ... my roommate should be gone and hes taking Damien with him and Devon and Alice will be going back with Devons original owner so it wont be happening again... the kittens will be 5 months by then so i dont think we'll have to worry about it .. oh and trust me, i know the signs of when i see a female goin into heat
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet9521
Smokey isnt fixed because he used to be my mothers cat until this past summer when i took him in and she never got him fixed... obviously theres something wrong with Smokey if hes trying to HUMP MY DOG... so now why dont you respond to that.
I think we were trying to help. But it obvious by your posts that you are frustrated over the spaying/neutering of your cat's and why that would get you all bothered is beyond me. If you want to avoid any sexual behaviors between animals, and you want a healthy animal, spaying/neutering is the BEST thing to do.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My male dog who had been fixed used to hump our cats (also male and been fixed)

So it might be a dominance thing.
I understsand that u do not have the money to spay cats that are not yours.
In england if u do not have much money they will do it for a small donation.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge

Tags
humane society, male cat