Remedy for a dry kitty nose? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Remedy for a dry kitty nose?

My cat Napoleon has chronic upper respiratory infections. He has only had one really bad infection, which was when he was a kitten (I think all the kittens in the shelter had it). Now he gets a bit congested from time to time but never anything bad. The only thing that persists is his dry nose. It looks so painful and dry. He gets crusties in the corners which we take care of with a q-tip and warm water but we aren't sure what to put on his nose to soothe the dryness. Vaseline? Some type of oil? A skin product for humans? He hates having his nose touched but it looks like it hurts so I think we should do something. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it

I was also wondering if bad breath could be associated with chronic respiratory infections? He has had horrible breath for his whole life and the vet has never expressed concern but oh my goodness, it's the worst cat breath ever. And of course, he loves being up in people's faces, haha. We've tried brushing his teeth with one of those finger brushes and kitty toothpaste from the vet but he isn't having any of it. We've learned to live with it but I'd just like to know if it's common for cats with resp. infections to also have bad breath?

Thanks!

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Upper respiratory infections can cause bad breath but usually not the only reason. You can try "Feline Greenies" as treats to help with the teeth cleaning if he wont allow you to brush (although I would continue to try that as he may eventually get used to it). For any nasal congestion or just even to break up dried mucous get "Little Noses" in the baby section at any pharmacy/supermarket as its sodium chloride and will break it up much easier than water. Just put a drop or 2 in each nostril (he wont like it). I always used a baby nasal aspirator also if I found lots of congestion just to clear the airway. Do you have a humidifer or vaporizer? My vet even told me to use Vicks vapor rub in the vaporizer (be sure kittie doesnt get it on his fur or nose and out of his reach) and run it near his sleeping area. It really helped my little one! AD ointment or vaseline (figure petrolum is in all the hairball meds so not toxic in small amounts) would be better than neosporin as if he's cleaning/licking his nose he can ingest the antibiotics that are contained in the neosporin (also not made for ingestion). A little may not hurt but it can desensitize them to times when they do need antibiotics. I am always open to new ideas also if anyone else has anything to add.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Thanks for all the info I will keep an eye out for Feline Greenies. I'm definitely going to persist in trying to get him used to having his teeth brushed. Our other cat LOVES it but Napoleon is just so independent and stubborn. He always acts like he's on his way to somewhere important and you can't stop him for anything so silly as brushing his teeth. I'm trying to ease him into it but he's really weird about putting anything in his mouth. He will ONLY eat dry cat food and won't touch any treats, meat, gravy, or anything else. So the chicken flavored toothpaste doesn't catch his attention at all.

I will try some Vaseline on his nose for now. We do have a humidifier and it seems to help keep his congestion down pretty well He's only had to go on antibiotics once so far (when he was a kitten) but I'll definitely stay away from medicated creams unless the vet tells me to use them.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Lol, sounds like my female manx/angora mix. She's also very verbal hence the name "Meow". We have to wrap her up in a towel to do anything such as her teeth, trim nails or clip out fur knarls. Finally figured out cover her eyes and guess like a horse it calms her down and then I can get on with what I need to do to her. Boy does she yell though as she is far from a lap cat and hates to be held or picked up. Brushing her teeth is a real feat but it gets down although not to her liking it at all.

Tags
cat food, dry cat food, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, upper respiratory infection, upper respiratory infections