reocccuring ear infection - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

reocccuring ear infection

Hello,

My 4 month old MaineCoon came to us a few weeks ago, she is wonderful. However within two weeks at our house her left ear looked like it had ear mites, I took her to the vet and he said it was an infection, not mites. He tried an antibiotic oinment first, did not do it. Then put her on oral antibiotics, worked great!!

Once we completed the 14 days of antibiotics, a few days later I noticed a bit of brown stuff, I thought wax maybe, called the vet, he said to just watch it. I did and now the kitty is taking the antibiotic for the next 28 days. If after 28 days it returns, then he said he will try yet another antibiotic.

Will this ever end? The discharge from her ear is brown, sappy like stuff. I don't notice any smell and the vet said he can't find a reason for it. I asked him last visit if he would test the discharge, he said no, he said if it were allergies or yeast it would effect both ears. He other ear is perfectly fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Adolescent Pup

Maybe there is something IN the ear? I don't know, just a suggestion. Then again, you may just have to keep trying until you find the right medicine that fully kills that infection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handicap kitties ♥ just leave bigger and deeper paw prints on your heart.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The vet checked out her ear and it looks normal. He said he just could not find a reason for it.

Ginger ( kitty's name ) is dealing with it fine, but I would like to see the infection end. I am hoping that the doctor will find the right antibiotic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

Has the vet checked her teeth? Could be caused by bad teeth.

People do not realize the importance of good dental health in their pets, bad teeth/gums can cause a whole bunch of problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ginger is 5 months old and teething, perhaps it's due to teething? My kids would sometimes get ear infections when teething?? Hummm
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She has been on the Antibiotic again since last Thursday (6 days). The ear that is infected still has a bit of icky brown stuff (just a bit) but what I find odd is, if you rub the ear at the bottom, buy the head that infected ear makes a squishy should, like it has fluid, the normal ear makes no sound.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Hope the antibiotic helps... is it possible the ear isn't draining properly? Like getting swimmers ear for a person maybe...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

could be . . how would I tell? She still scratches a bit at the ear, it's been a week now on the Antibiotic. It's just weird.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

How many more days of meds does she have left? Sounds like there is still some infection in there and the treatement period may need to be extended?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The doctor has on antibiotics this time for two prescriptions - about 28 days, so we still have some time now. He said if after 28 days the infection comes back he will change antibiotics.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoods
The discharge from her ear is brown, sappy like stuff. I don't notice any smell and the vet said he can't find a reason for it. I asked him last visit if he would test the discharge, he said no, he said if it were allergies or yeast it would effect both ears.
Actually, that's not totally correct. My dog had an infection in her left ear and was on antibiotics for 10 days. The infection seemed to get better, then came back. I took her back to the vet, they did a culture and it came back that it was yeast. Her other ear was never affected, and by the way, it had no smell to it either.

I would definitely take the cat back to the vet and ask for a culture. I don't think I would want my cat to be on antibiotics for 28+ days if they didn't know for sure what they were trying to treat.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Rhonda

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Newborn Pup

This is weird, our Maine Coon has this problem right now too. Our vet thinks it might be an ear stone (a hardened ball of wax down in the ear). He's sedating Riley and digging the ball out of his ear and fully flushing it out. I'll let you know how that goes.

Our dog gets reoccuring ear infections because of her allergies. Have you all discussed that possibility? Oh wait, I see you have. That's not true, Cara gets ear infections in one ear much more frequently than the other, and her's are allergy related.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Now I question my vet. I always thought he should do a culture. Is that something that a "typical" vet is prepared to do? Or would I have to take her to the pet hospital?

The breeder I got the cat from works a a vet's office, she seemed to think my vet was doing all the right things.

If her ear problems were from yeast, why would antibiotics help?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Playful Pup

Just a thought, but the antibiotics should be working by now. They won't if it is a yeast infection. Dr. Martin Goldstein, DVM says to get rid of a yeast ear infection to dilute one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar( you can get it from a health food store) in 1/2 cup of warm water and flush out the ears. The apple cider will kill the yeast because it creates an acid environment. Are you absolutely sure it is not ear mites? Maybe a second opinion would be helpful. Ear mites can eat the tissue in the ear right down to the brain, killing the cat, so it is very important to find out whether it's ear mites or not.

"We can solve well over 90% of the all chronic diseases with simple, inexpensive natural therapies." Dr. J. Mercola

Last edited by twostep; 03-17-2006 at 01:58 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The doctor was sure it was not ear mites. And the breeder's cats are all fine.

The first round of antibiotics worked great, now after a week she has some gooo, just a bit, I called the doctor and discussed it with him again.... he said after she is finished this perscription, he is going to put her on a different antibiotic.

If after all this is done, Ginger still has issues, I am going to insist on a culture, if he won't do it, I'll go to another vet.

She has been with us two months and I have spent 325.00 on this one issue alone

Besides a bit of scratching (not alot) she seems fine, eates great, plays and has lots of energy, she does not know she has an ear issue.

Should I try the diluted apple cider viniger? would it hurt? and when you say "flush" out the ear, what exactly does that mean? Will q-tips work? not too deep? the discharge comes from one perticular spot, the vet has looked closely into the ear and he says he can't see a reason for all this.

Initially I thought it was mites, I used the mite solution for 4 days prior to our doctors appointment, the solution did not seem to help at all, of course after seeing the vet he told me it was not mites.

Is yeast caused by food? She currently eats Imas (dry) and fancy feast just a little daily. When all this started she was on "maxx" cat food, but she did not like it.

Any other suggestions, this has been very informative.

Tags
cat food, ear infection, ear infections, ear mites, health food store, maine coon