ring worm - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cool

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and I was just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with Ringworm in their kittens? I just adopted a kitten from the humane society on Oct 13th and I just found out last week she has ringworm really bad. I've been scrubbing her daily with betadine and putting conofite on the spots. I keep finding new spots though so he wants to put her on Grisiofulvin, but I haven't filled it yet cuz i'm waiting on the pharmacy to tell me how much. I feel bad because I can't really hold her but it's soooooo gross! Any tips would be great. Also I have a 3 1/2 year old Golden Retriever....what should I look for if he gets it? Thanks
Lou

Last edited by wellahart; 01-27-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Part of the Pack

Hopefully you found an answer sooner than this, but ringworm can easily take a long time to go away. Usually you have to use a number of things on them at the same time to get rid of it. Basically to look for it on other pets, I would just look for areas that have no hair or thinning hair. I would definately keep them both apart and wash hands and change clothes before interacting with each pet. I hope it's better now. Good luck.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

We just got a kitten from a rescue a few weeks ago she came with ringworm also, the vet gave us Lymdyp it is a Lime sulfa dip, it smells really bad and turned the kitty yellow until it dried but the ringworm is already looking better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

sorry it's been so long

I lost the website. lol. Anyways. Millie is much better now. I was scrubbing her with a betadine scrub once a day and putting conofite on it, but then the vet gave me an oral med too. The oral med really helped speed the process along. All her spots are gone and almost all of her hair has grown back. She is still on the oral meds until Dec. 27th, but she's doing great.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Playful Pup

When I adopted Spike from the shelter I found out that he had ringworm only because he gave it to Peggy. He was showing no signs but they were both put on medication from the vet (different doses of course) and it seemed to have cleared it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mommy to Peggy & Spike

Too many to name!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Playful Pup

Last summer I brought home a kitten to foster (who is still here btw) and she was covered from head to toe in ringworm. When the vet shined the Woods lamp on her, her whole body was glowing neon green. She was bald almost all over and to most people she was one ugly kitten. I fell in love with her the minute I set my eyes on her. Since she was so young the vet didn't want to give Nermal oral medication, so we just did frequent baths with medicated shampoo and it worked really well, although it did take some time to get rid of it all. I kept her in a cage and wore gloves when I handled her so it didn't spread to me or my pets. That would have been a nightmare! If I could have given her the fulvicin, I would have gone that route. But she was so young, and so tiny, my vet did not feel all that comfortable with it.

Anyway, she is now the cutest little fluffball I have ever seen.

I'm glad that Millie is doing better!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

AWWW your kitten is really cute! Millie was about 7 or 8 weeks when she was diagnosed but around 9 or 10 when started on the grisofulvin stuff. She was barely 2lbs, but she kept getting more and more spots so the vet thought it would be better if she was on an oral med. The med is tuna flavor so she begs for it! If I'm even a little late giving it to her, she'll go into the kitchen and meow! lol she's a handful.
I didn't have a big enough cage and she went nuts when I tried to lock her in the bathroom so I just kept my room door closed and let her run. Luckily, I didn't get it and neither did my dog. My little sis was visiting the weekend after she was diagnosed and held her constantly and she didn't get it either. I had to delay getting her shots though because of her being so sick.
I'm really glad that she is doing much better now too, except that she is always finding something to get into now!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Playful Pup

You are so lucky you didn't get it! I got ringworm last summer (before I got Nermal) when the shelter had a huge ringworm breakout. It was horrible! I had to wear long sleeves in August so that I didn't spread the ringworm to my pets!

I also had to put off Nermal's vaccinations because of it. She is still on the really small side, but is in good health. I think being so sick for the whole start of her life really set her back and stunted her growth.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

That would be horrible! I'm really glad I didn't get it. Especially since she slept on me for the 2 weeks before I noticed she had it. I only noticed it because her little paw was swollen when she had an upper respiratory infection. I thought her paw was infected. Poor kitty was miserable. She was only 1.6 lbs when she was diagnosed. she was so tiny I could hold her in my one hand. Now, I'd say that she's maybe 2 or 2.5 lbs. Dunno. I'll find out on Monday when she gets her vaccines.

Last edited by wellahart; 12-16-2005 at 12:05 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Playful Pup

I just used creams (like for athelete's foot) but I could have gone to the Dr. and got an oral med but I hate going to the Dr.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks I'll keep that in mind if I end up with it somehow. I hate going to the docs more than I have to. I shouldn't though because it's been so long and she no longer has any spots. In fact, all of her fur is pretty much grown back.

Tags
golden retriever, humane society, poor kitty, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection