Ringworm panic! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Ringworm panic!

So here I am fearing once again that my cat might have ringworm. See, some cats at the shelter where I volunteer have it. Although I leave my working clothes there and try to disinfect myself the best I can, I could probably bring it home...

I've noticed that the area above my cat's nose looks pink, almost red, depending on the angle (it should be white). It's hard for me to tell if this is normal or for how long it's been that way. Maybe his skin is just oily (he has acne and something resembling blackheads) or something... But I'm scared.

Any other signs I could look for? His toes are perfectly white and he does not seem to be missing hair on his ears. I really can't afford a vet right now, I've already had a ringworm false alarm earlier this summer
Thanks in advance for reassuring me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Newborn Pup

What does a cat with ringworm look like ?

The appearance of cats with ringworm is very variable. Some cats have severe skin disease while other cats have only very minor lesions or no lesions at all and look completely normal. Typical skin lesions are discrete, roughly circular, areas of hair loss, particularly on the head, ears or extremities of the paws. The hairs surrounding affected areas appear broken. The affected skin is often scaly and may look inflamed. However, ringworm can look very similar to many other feline skin diseases, such a flea allergic dermatitis, symmetrical alopecia and feline acne. Some loss of hair is usually involved, but the amount of inflammation, scaling and itchiness can be very variable. In very unusual cases cats may appear just to have an ear infection or infection of the claws.

Hope this helps. Ringworm is really a fungus not worms. The spores can be passed easily and will survive on bedding or clothes for up to two years. A healthy adult cat without any broken skin probably won't catch ringworm. Young cats tend to be susceptible probably because of their not fully developed immune systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
ear infection, hair loss