Rotting teeth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rotting teeth

Anyone know how distressing a tooth op is for a cat?
Sonnys face was all swollen up and I looked in his mouth and both his canine teeth are rotten near the gum and his gums are red.
He is 16 years old and maybe the op would kill him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Part of the Pack

Hi ninja_smurtles,

If their not too bad at going to the vets and don't mind their yearly vaccinations then your cat should be fine. You would normal have to see the vet before, then depends on how they operate they will book you in for an appointment or take you in on the day. But more than like you'll have to make an appointment you should not let your cat eat after 7pm and nothing to drink after midnight.

This is how they do it at my vets, but not all vets are the same then you will have your consoltation and the vet will take the cat in and when it's time to do the op your cat will have a sedative and then sleep through the op and wake up, probably a little drowsy but fine to go home. Age plays an important part when putting cats under anesthetic though, some might possibly be able to do it without but that's up too your vet though. As your cat is quite old there is the possiblity that they might not do the op and just try some antibiotics and some anti-inflamitory injections to bring down the pain and swelling. But it depends on the vet what they would do, it's best have a chat with your vet if you can, over the phone.

Hope this helps in some way

ae

animalexpert - a life long learner

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Your vet will perform preanesthetic bloodwork to determine how healthy his liver and kidney's are and what anesthestic to use. Regardless, it sounds like your cat is probably in a lot of pain and the surgery is worth the risk. You wouldn't want him to continue on in this pain. I do understand your worry though

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's a tough situation but if he has that much inflammation then some sort of corrective measures probably need to be taken. It sounds like he is very close to having infection if he doesn't already ... and gum infection is easily transmitted to the bloodstream ... What is the vet's opinion?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hopefully he is going in tomorrow.
Just waiting on confirmation on that.
He has been sick with blood in it today. He doesnt seem distressed though.
We will have him operated on if he needs it but I am worried in case he doesnt wake up

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Part of the Pack

Blood work is done before they even go under anesthesia. Simba gets it done once a year. I think if your cat is healthy overall, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Good luck.

My babies...

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Part of the Pack

Your vets will assess your cat's condition and will do all the tests and im sure that they will make the best decision. There is always the risk with anasthetic, im sure that he will be fine and he'll come back better, possibly walking a little funny but feeling alot more better .

ae

animalexpert - a life long learner

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aslong as the blood checks out he'll be fine. Alot better then dying of infection! Orangey had a 6-7hr operation (needed all his teeth out) and came out fine. As long as you trust your vet you have nothing to worry about.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well it is the 1st time I have taken a cat to this vet.
They were good with the turtles.
He is booked in for tomorrow at 2 so I will let you know what they say.
Should I still let the cat eat as normal?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:18 AM
Part of the Pack

If he's booked in for surgery, no. He shouldn't eat after 12...at least that's what they tell me to do with my cat. If he's not, then yea.

My babies...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:23 AM
Part of the Pack

Oh. Hopefully everything goes ok. I'm not sure if they have to clear up the infection first, before the operation. Your kitty is 16! That is amazing! I hope they can do something for him. Our kitty had to have dental work, a real good cleaning, but she is only 2 and they were not inflammed.

Keep us posted.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:43 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Your kitty should not eat the nght before surgury, or the following morning. No water either.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I dont know if he is having surgery I guess they wont do it emergency just either do the tests or maybe give him meds.
I will post as soon as I come back

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy