Runny eyes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Runny eyes

My little Tilly has runny eyes.
My gf wipes it away but it just comes back.
Is she ill?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

What colour is it?

If it's a nasty green colour, definetely go see the vet. Gunky looking eyes can be a symptom of quite a few problems, including upper respiratory infections.

But if the tears are clear or maybe even a light brown colour and aren't that gunky looking, there may not be a problem. Some cats produce more tears than others, like dogs. So if she just gets some eye boogers that come back the next day and other than that seems perfectly healthy, I don't think you have anything to worry about. But I think that if she's producing A LOT of tears, she also might have something in her eye.

Gerona, my white cat, gets some strange brown-orange coloured eye boogers. Never anything big, though. I wipe them away and she always gets some more after a long nap.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They are just white.
I thought maybe she has a cold from all the snow.
She hates it
She is being a bit aggresive lately too

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you for posting this question.......I was looking at my cat this morning, and I took a pic of her, and I noticed that her eyes were runny. Not green, and she wasn't agressive, but made sure I knew she didn't appreciate me cleaning it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

We used to clean Max's eyes everyday. However, now that we have him on a better quality food (at the time, he was on hypoallergenic foods from the vet...I didn't know any better), he hardly has any gunkies. I would take a look at what you are feeding and elimate possible allergens/irritants.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Do they get them maybe coz of the cold air?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I would think cats get them probably for the same reasons people get them--to clean out any foreign bodies from the eyes. You know how you sometimes wake up with eye crusties?

If the cat is tearing up rather profusely, it could be allergens or irritants, like Candycane mentioned. So, you could consider that, too. My eyes tend to tear up here during the winter because of the dryness caused by the radiators, and that could be another reason for the tears.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Hope your kitty is ok?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

She is being a grump today.
When she starts scratching I give her a naked barbie doll and she loves to attack that.
It is funny, one minute she is biting it the next she is fast asleep.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Newborn Pup

Runny Eye advice

My kitties all have runny eyes at the moment because of conjunctivitis.

Take into account that if it's yellow-greeny icky, eyes are red and eyelids pale or inflamed there's a good chance it is infection of either a viral or bacterial sort.

Try to rinse runny eyes with saline solution (1 cup luke warm water, one teaspoon of salt, drip into corners of eye) and wipe with cottonwool. If the eyes stay runny, the eye looks inflamed or in any way funny and this doesn't clear up within 2-3 days, have it looked at.

My kitties are on stuff called sulphacetamide which is a human eye ointment used for mild infections, ask your vet if he knows anything similar you can use. Conjunctivitis is basically kitty pink eye, and very contagious. Keep those eyes as clean as possible, and wash your hands after each handling of your cat (before you rub your own eyes or that of another pet) since you and all your other pets can get it too.

My friend who has a cat shelter has a kitty who has had antibiotic resistand conjunctivitis for 2 months and he's not dead yet, so don't freak out too much.

If it is just a clear discharge and your kitty isn't in any discomfort, it might just be a case of kitty flu or ,as some other posts mentioned, allergies. The main thing is to watch for changes in behaviour, appetite and temprature.

Whizper
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Her eyes have cleared up now but thanx for your help.
Will know what to do next time

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Tags
respiratory infection, respiratory infections, upper respiratory infection, upper respiratory infections, white cat