Sam is driving me mad. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Angry Sam is driving me mad.

I'm at my wits end with my dumb cat... I don't ever want to get rid of her, because that's just NOT what I think is the answer--There has to be something I can do.

It started when Ben didn't empty the litter box out for me (since I can't do it being preggo) and it got too full so she started going in the corner of the basement. The second I realized this was going on, the litter box was emptied and fresh litter put in.

But she has SINCE been refusing to use the box. WHY!?! She kept going in the corner of the basement, and then when Ben and I put up baby gates so she couldn't get down there, she decided she's going to start going on the living room rug.

I've put her into Dakota's crate with her food bowls and her litter box, because it seems thats the only time she'll use her box.

I haven't found urine anywhere else, I certainly haven't smelled any and it seems she is using her box for that only.

Has anyone ever dealt with such a problem?? What can I do?? Ben keeps telling me we need to get rid of her. But she is a cranky, 20 something year old cat who only likes me, she'd inevitably be put to sleep or live out her days in a cage because no one is interested in her. And like I said, I don't feel getting rid of her is the answer.

I can't imagine that its something medical, right? Because why would she be peeing in the box but not pooping?? And her poops always seem "healthy" and appear to be normal.

Is it possible that she is rebelling for a reason such as a baby coming?? I mean, we haven't changed her food in forever (the brand)... She eats daily, I give her attention and she is alpha over the dog, I just don't get it!!!

Please help me out here guys. I'm desperate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Maybe put a little bit of catnip around her litter box area to draw her to it? That's the only suggestion I have, but I'm hoping someone else has a better one.

I agree with you. Getting rid of her is not the answer. At her age, she would more than likely be euthanised because everyone wants a kitten, most of the time older cats are overlooked. It's truly sad.

I hope you can figure something out!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I wouldn't totally rule out medical, especially because of her age. If nothing else helps, you might want to have her seen by a vet.

Has the litter box ever gotten super-dirty before in the past? If it has, you could compare her behaviour to the pervious time to this one and see the difference--it may help in possibly dectecting what is wrong.

Have you tried putting some poo back into her litter box and showing it to her? This could possibly help if she smells the poo there.

Also, sometimes--for whatever reasons--a change of litter and/or litter boxes helps. Sometimes it seems cats get tired of one or the other and want something new.

And, the final thing I can think of is putting her litter box in the place where she is wanting to potty.

Hope this help!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be trying them all!

It has happened before, Rowan, unfortunately. But I do admit it. What she'd do is start going someplace else in the house, and once her box was fresh, she'd go right back to it. IF she didn't, I'd put the box in her newest "potty place" and she'd start to use it again. Its like this time she's really being stubborn about it.

I moved the litter box to the corner of the basement, she'd go next to it. Then I figured maybe she was afriad of the dog being down there... So I brought it upstairs... She seemed to use it a few times, or so I thought... But then Ben told me he was down there and there were new piles. :X So thats when we put the gates up in the door... And she started going on the living room rug.

I remember one time she chose this same rug when I lived at home and she did this. I eventually had to roll the rug up and put it away. After a few days she allowed me to put it back in my room without her using it as her potty place. I'm thinking I'm going to do that and see what she does.

I'll try the cat nip thing too. I'll suggest to Ben about getting a brand new box (they aren't that expensive!) and maybe even a new brand of litter. Its just weird because ever since we've had her (since she was six years old) she has always had this box. Its so weird, and very annoying.

I don't know why I haven't tossed some of her poop back into the box from off the rug or in the basement. I know that this sometimes helps, but for some reason I guess I just thought she should 'know better' and that she'd just get it...

Anyhow--I'm still open for more suggestions, too... Anything that might help will be so appreciated.

Anyone know any medical reasons why she might be changing her patterns?? Like, maybe she's trying to tell me something??????

Thanks for any and all help guys.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Newborn Pup

Our Molly has similar problems. As with your Cat its only Poop. She has always been a fussy cat in regard to her litter, After much consultation we think the problem is stress. So we are endevouring to reduce this. We also make sure that the litters are as clean as possible all the. As much as this problem is annoying getting rid of Molly is never an option. We are just going to persevere.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Hmm... So you have the same problem, huh?

Stress--Thats kinda along the same line I was thinking of when it came to it that maybe Samantha is rebelling because we're having a baby come into the house very soon here... Maybe thats not it exactly and she just senses a big change and its stressing her out not knowing what it is...

That seems pretty logical!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I dunno what to tell ya Mal. But I hope she calms down and starts useing her litter box soon! But this is one conclusion that I have come to in my 10 years of owning pets. Is a lot of people dont give them a lot of credit. I think and I am sure most people on this sight would agree with me is that Pets are a lot smarter then we think. She proabably sences Delta coming and maybe is worried. You did says that she is more alpha then Dakota so maybe she knows this baby is going to be more alpha then her. :shrugs: she might just be scared or something. I dunno if this makes any sence i feel as if im babbeling

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would say that she definitely senses a change. Our cats hate it when we have any changes. All the stuff from the baby shower might be stressing her out a bit, as well. Hope things straighten out soon.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'd say its stress mixed with age and the like... I think all the suggestions so far are great and worth trying. Sounds like you have a plan already and I can't think of much else to suggest. I hope that something works.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Has she been doing any better, Mal?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Playful Pup

Maybe perhaps she is trying to mark her territory, and your husband not cleaning the litterbox could have given her the reason to start doing it? It's just a thought, but have you tried Feli-way? I've heard from many people that it works wonders.

Also, is she fixed?

Cassie

Cassie, Proud Owner Of:

Tags
food bowl, food bowls, litter box, litter boxes