Scratching help... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Scratching help...

It's safe to say my boyfriend's $800 leather couch that is not even fully paid off is completely ruined thanks to our kitties. We tried Soft Paws, but they just chewed them off the day we put them on, wasting money. Plus, the scratches we received when we tried to put them on were not pleasant (our kitties hate to be held down or restrained, and we cant afford to take them to the vet every time they need new Soft Paws). I tried other remedies, like double sided tape on the areas they scratch, providing more than enough scratching posts and rewarding them for using them, etc... to no avail. They don't do it when we're watching so they know it's wrong, but the couch keeps getting more and more scratched everyday. It got so bad with our first kitty that my boyfriend got him declawed (absolutely against my wishes), and I don't want to have to declaw our other baby, because our cat we got declawed lost alot of spunk and playfulness after the surgery... not to mention it was painful for him, but I don't know what other option we have for kitty #2. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:12 PM

I sounds like it might be territorial. Have you tried a spray like Feliway. It is supposed to help curb territorial scratching as well as other behavioral problems. The only other thing I can suggest is to constantly keep their nails clipped. I have a polydactyl with 15 claws on his front feet so I know what a pain in the rear it can be.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks, we try to keep them trimmed but they won't let us... on the occasion that we can catch them in a deep enough sleep we do it. I haven't tried that spray, but it sounds like it might be worth a try. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree, try the feliway. It is on the expensive side but a little goes a long way. Also I find that my cats love the scratching posts made out of SISAL rope, not carpet. Place a couple of STURDY posts on either side of the couch and praise them if you catch them using them. Good luck

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Newborn Pup

As far as I'm concerned declawing isnt an option. Its illegal here in the uk and Im glad. (but thats another debate) We have lots of scratch poles and encourage them to scratch there. But im afraid as a cat owner you have to accept that there may be some damage at times to furniture, thats what you take on when you become owned by cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we did the feliway and the sesil pads as well as covering the arms up with blankets and such to make it more difficult (she only scratched the arm areas...its illegal here as well to get a kitty declawed...but my vet did give me all kinds of advice on how to get the kitty to do other things...

oh on a side note I bought one of those long tree things for kitties that kind of screw into the ceiling...well it appears my poor cat is to fat for it lol, she loved it so much, but her weight resting on one side was disasterous and funny all at once...so if your kitty is heavy don't buy this as a scratching post/kitty house option lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekrabbel
As far as I'm concerned declawing isnt an option. Its illegal here in the uk and Im glad. (but thats another debate) We have lots of scratch poles and encourage them to scratch there. But im afraid as a cat owner you have to accept that there may be some damage at times to furniture, thats what you take on when you become owned by cats.
No, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, I do not live with my boyfriend since I'm still in college and they are, ultimately his cats, not mine. I was completely against it and we had many fights about it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
I agree, try the feliway. It is on the expensive side but a little goes a long way. Also I find that my cats love the scratching posts made out of SISAL rope, not carpet. Place a couple of STURDY posts on either side of the couch and praise them if you catch them using them. Good luck
Yes, we have rope scratching posts, and cat #1 loved them before he was declawed. He still scratched the couch though. Cat #2 doesn't use the rope scratching posts, or the cardboard floor ones with catnip. She just rolls around on it lol. We've never caught her scratching anything other than the couch. We have tried everything I'm afraid, aside from the spray, so maybe that will work. Thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

Any progress on the couch scratching?
My only thought other than what was already mentioned is applying catnip spray on the scracthing post to help entice the cats to use them.

Diane~ owned by~ 7 cats, Chuckie, Spyder, Winnie, Stormy, Crystal and Francine
3 ferrets, Shoops, Rocky and Jazzy
and a hermit crab, Zoidburg
RIP Roo 1989-2005
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ah, thanks for checking back, but she is still clawing as we haven't been able to get any Feliway due to money restraints (which means we definitely don't have the funds for declawing, yay). Hopefully this stuff works