Searching for a home... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Searching for a home...

Anyone have any advice on trying to adopt out an older kitten (almost adult cat now)?

We found Sebastian almost 9 months ago. Originially thought we'd like to keep him, and realized it wasn't going to work a few months later.

Unfortunately, the shelters around here have been overflowing with cats and kittens since Katrina hit (I'm in Baton Rouge, LA-about an hour from New Orleans). And now it's kitten season again here, so it's even worse. I have contacted almost every shelter in the area. They all say we don't have room, try again in a few months.

We are not able to provide Sebastian with a good home. For the longest time, he had our spare bedroom all to himself. I'd go in and play with him for an hour or so every day (sometimes taking Ein with me), but other than that, he had plenty of peace and quiet. Last month, my mom moved into our spare room. She is writing her disertation for her PhD, and Sebastian shreds paper (really his only bad habit). The two don't mix. Unfortunately, the only other place we have for him is a large dog kennel. He cannot run free in the house because Tucker thinks he is a toy. I feel like a horrible rescuer because he needs so much more space to live in, and I can't provide it for him.

Since the shelters won't help me, the only way I can adopt him out, is through ads in the paper. But there are TONS of ads for kittens/cats, in addition to the hundreds of kittens/cats in local shelters. I've been running ads for what seems like forever now. Very few people have even called, and the ones that did never came to see him (two said they'd come, and never did. Many lived in surrounding cities and didn't want to come to Baton Rouge. Too many kittens closer to them.) I absolutely refuse to give him to our local animal control. They euthanize 80% of animals that come into their shelter. I will not take a chance that he will be one of them.

Does anyone have advice on how to help Sebastian find a home? Know of any shelters that will take animals from out of state? Any suggestions on how to word the ads to make it sound like he's better than every other cat out there? He is friendly, playful, litter box trained, loves to rub against you and purr, lay with on the bed while you watchtv and purr. If someone will just come and see him, I know they will fall in love with him. If you have ANY suggestions, please let me know. Sebastian would be eternally greatful to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry you have to find another home for him.I understand.I had a deaf cat before and I am not a cat person,but I rescued her anyway,as no one else wanted her.I tried and had her here for months,but it just did not work out and so I had to find a home.Fortunatly I know someone who has 6 other cats and she took Coconut in.Now Coconut is spayed and living the good life!

Maybe ask around family and friends,see if anyone you know wants a cat.Have you tried Petfinder???

Good luck and I hope you find a good family for her soon.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I've used petfinder to find names of local shelters, but I didn't think individuals could list pets. I thought only rescues/shelters could. I'll have to check the site a little more thoroughly and make sure.

I feel bad giving him up, and part of it is because we are not cat people. But also, he has to be seperated from every other animal except Ein. Tucker thinks he's a toy. He thinks Pikachu and the degus are food. One of the degus got loose during a cage cleaning once. Went straight under the door for the spare bedroom, and Sebastian had him before we could open the door.

We also live in a mobile home, instead of a real house. We have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a combined kitchen/dining/living room. Trying to keep him away from everyone else when you have so few rooms is impossible. I wish there was a wall/door seperating the kitchen and living room. Then we'd have a place for him to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Contact the local rescues and see if they can post him on their website. I have seen courtesy postings before. Good luck

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Any luck yet?

Hmmm...I dunno much about Petfinder,but I thought anyone could post animals for adoption...oops!I have been on the site before,but never took notice as to who were looking for homes...I mean,as in shelters or individuals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I would take him but Xena would probably destroy him, she's not a cat mind you she's a human I used petfinder and didn't have much luck but not many people are looking for gerbils on petfinder. I would ask friends and family to ask their friends and family to ask their friends and family and so on. Someone has to be able to take a sweetheart.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Any luck finding a home yet? Have you tried printing up flyers and posting them around town? If you could put up flyers with pictures people might be more likly to notice, rather than an ad among many others. Thats how my mom has gotten most of our pets growing up. I dont think my family has ever really looked in the paper for a pet. weve always seen a picture somewhere, or heard someone couldnt keep it anymore.
Also, you might want to put on there a reason why you cant keep him (like someone has allergies) or they will prolly think he has behavior issues.
Best of luck with him. maybe he can play in the house while the dogs are outside? my aunt used to have some cats that were confined to a bathroom most of the time, but were let out for an hour or two a day while the dogs were outside to play.

My Furry Family
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I am normally only able to get online at work, so I haven't been able to check in lately, since it was the weekend.

No luck yet, but I'm going to email one of the shelters in our area tonight, because it says on their website that if you are willing to pay a fee, they will list your pets picture and info on their site and on petfinder. They did not tell me that was an option when I asked if they had room for him in their shelter, so I am not positive they are still doing this, but it never hurts to ask. I get paid on Friday and will have the extra cash then to pay to have him listed, if they are still doing it.

We live in a fairly rural area, but my fiance's dad lives in a large neighborhood not too far away, so I think I'll print up some fliers to post there. I'm also going to try seeing if vocal vet offices will allow me to post fliers.

Unfortunately, we cannot let the dogs play outside, though it is a good idea, because we are very bad. When we moved in the mean landlord said we could only have one dog (she really is an evil person. She treated us like we were a couple of teenagers who would destroy the peace by having loud, all night parties, just because we were in our early-mid 20s when we moved in). BUT other people have two dogs, so we decided that wasn't fair. And got Tucker. We've had him for months now, and her husband knows we have him. So either she doesn't care because she has learned we are good people, or she doesn't know. Either way, drawing attention to Tucker is not a good idea. If she finds out anyway, and asks us to leave, we'd be more than happy to move. But I don't want to encourage her to do so. Plus, she made a big deal out of how Ein should only be allowed outside to potty because she doesn't want any dogs outside. We spend lots of time going to the dog park. Maybe I can convince my mom to keep an eye on Sebastian (ie keep him away from the chin and the degus) while the rest of us are at the dog park.

Tags
animal control, box trained, cage cleaning, dog park, litter box, litter box trained, local animal control, local shelter