Seizures? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Seizures?

My old (6-10 years) cat has been doing weird things for a while now. He's also rather skinny and we think he got bit by a snake of something once. About two months ago, we found him lying on the doorstep and jerking, looking scared and meowing in a really loud, deep, anxious sort of voice. Usually his voice is high pitched and quiet and sort of a purr combined with a meow. Well, he did it again a couple weeks ago, only this time he jerked longer and was wet, and smelled awful, like he'd thrown up or wet himself. And then just tonight we found him in the garage, same as he was two weeks ago. He was jerking and meowing in that weird voice, and was wet and stinky again.
Does anyone have some idea what this might be? It sounds like a seizure. Is there anything we can do for him? (By the way, we had some rabid squirrels in our area around the first time it happened, but it doesn't seem remotely like rabies to me)

Thanks,
~Mystic

~My Zoo~
1 New Zealand White Bunny- Clover
1 Rhode Island Red Chicken- Cluck Everlasting (really old!)
1 Rottweiler mix - Sophia (or Pups)
1 cockatiel named Saphira
2 cats - Skittles the the kitten and Diamond Jack (Kit More fish of all sorts then you can count! My sister's lovebird, Shielab a tarantula, crickets, all named DinDin (Shielab's food) Random others, kept for short amounts of time, such as gopher snakes, pocket gophers, spiders, squirrels, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Have you seen a vet? Between the weight loss and these episodes it definitely sounds like something is very wrong.

Is he able to urinate?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No we haven't got him to a vet yet. He hates it, for one, but we were thinking about taking him to the vet if he does it again. In answer to the latter question, yes, he is.

~My Zoo~
2 cats - Skittles the the kitten and Diamond Jack (Kit More fish of all sorts then you can count! My sister's lovebird, Shielab a tarantula, crickets, all named DinDin (Shielab's food) Random others, kept for short amounts of time, such as gopher snakes, pocket gophers, spiders, squirrels, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It seems the frequency is increasing, so maybe a trip to the vet is warranted before another episode occurs. But, that's just my opinion. Good Luck.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Playful Pup

I would def. take him before another episode. It it hard to say whether it is seizures or something else medically wrong.

I had a cat that something similar happened to once. Emphasis on "had" and "once". I just wouldn't wait. I know Christmas is here, times are tough, etc., but the "next time" well, it may be the last.

I suffer from seizures myself and the excessive drooling sounds like a seizure, as well as the jerking. I'm not sure about any other symptoms in a cat as I haven't looked it up before writing this.

I don't think there is something isolated causing it, for it to be happening numerous times. Take him to the vet and see if it can be controlled, whatever it may be. And please let us know, in case we come across it in the future with our own kitties.

Good Luck!

Visit my Website:

Read my articles on Pet Rabbits at:

AND

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Katie '07
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much for all the help.
Oh, I heard that a kind of flea stuff called Hartz has been causing seizures in some cats. I don't know if any got on Kit (the cat that's having seizures), but I know we have it in the house and may have used it on him.

~Mystic

~My Zoo~
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

My old cat Mama used to have seizures, it was the worst thing to watch, she was always at the vets, she had a medical condition though...anytime your kitty or any animal has a change in behavior or any medical problems its always safest to go to a vet...I hope your kitty is better and that its truelly nothing serious

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
cat, seizures