Separation Anxiety? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Separation Anxiety?

Hi guys. I may have grown up with cats, but never a cat that's as affectionate and has as many different homes as my new Lola. I'm concerned that she has some good separation anxiety.

A little history (what I know of her): She is about one year old. I got her last Sunday from a girl. That girl had Lola dropped off at her place maybe a month ago. That person got her from the humane society.

Lola can't stand closed doors. I can't go pee and she's screaming at me. when i leave for work she's meowing at the door. when she thinks im leaving she tries to get out to go with me.

so how can i help her? other than obviously keeping her here and coming home lol do i just have to let her get used to things? any help is appreciated!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Hello Earthling

Maybe she just needs time settling in? Or maybe a friend to keep her company?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Nat, Remember i got the 2 little kittys that where dumped?
Well out of 2 of them one of them, ChiChi is the exact same she screams if we leave her, If we go to the Loo she paws at the door even though she has her sister, We give them free run of the house and yet she still watches where we go. I think its because she craves human attendtion and enjoys being with us. I know it sounds nuts but because she was dumped i think she is scared of us leaving her and maybe your lola is feeling the same?
We have had these girls around 5 months and she is still the same. So i think lola might calm down when she knows you arn't going anywhere!! xxxx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

ok thanks guys! she is slowly calming down a little bit. a LITTLE bit. but i agree, with time i think (and hope) she'll calm down. i need reassurance lol. she's such a sweet girl and i don't want her sad and worried. i gave her a teddy bear today, she likes throwing it around. she's getting used to sit-at-the-computer nat, so now she's figured out that rather than scream at me, she can sleep on my monitor to be close LOL

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

When we first got Frahnz he was like that...he still must be with us at all times when we are home, but he has learned with time that when we go we will return. He still tries to open the bathroom door whenever someone goes in there, but the level of anziety when we leave has come way down...So I agree just giving her time to adjust and learn your routine will help so much...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Salamander Buffalokisser

When I married Richard I had intended on leaving Kramer with my mom and brother cause he was supposed to be the family cat. But aparently he was attached to me so much that he was really upset and meowing at my mom to make her follow him to the front door like he was saying bring her back to me. Well when I came three days later to get him he was all over me and now since that 3 day seperation he hates when I go behind closed doors, so this means when I go to the bathroom I can close the door but he has to be able to push it open so he can come in. When I leave and Richard is still here he will meow at Richard and won't leave him alone till I come back home. if we are both out he will great us at the door meowing. He will also watch me from the bedroom window when I leave. this has been going on for 4 years. I have just adapted to him and I know he's fine when I'm gone he just doesn't like it when I first leave.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.