Sergeants PreTect flea control for cats - is it safe? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sergeants PreTect flea control for cats - is it safe?

My cats have caught fleas for the first time, and we are having trouble getting rid of them. We treated them with a spray, but they were re infested within a week. A few days ago, my mother brought home Sergeant's PreTect in squeeze on tubes, but when I looked it up (I am scared of using any kind of poison on our babies) I found many negative reviews.

There are only a couple positive reviews, the rest insisting that this stuff kills cats. Unfotunately, as this was purchased on a budget, we probably won't be able to afford treatment if this makes our cats very sick. I know that it's common for reviews of this kind of product to only be left out of anger when something goes wrong, and that that is always a possibility with flea control chemicals, so I thought I would try for more information.

Has anyone used this specific product, or heard from a reliable source whether or not it is safe?
Or can recommend a safe product that is effective on a budget?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 PM
It's all for them

No it is not safe. None of that stuff is, Sergeants, Zodiac, Hartz, Bob Martin, Adams, or any of the other OTC treatments. They are known to kill cats.

Get frontline plus, advantage multi or revolution for cats, from your vet.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have experience with these products? I don't doubt you, since unsafe seems to be the only response google can find. But as we can't afford the more expensive treatment for all three cats (I was quoted over 50$ each), I'd like to be sure the reviews aren't all hype before I start treating them in other ways. Particularly for the oldest, I think the stress of being bathed near daily will be almost as bad...

Just curious, what is the difference between vet provided and over the counter treatments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 PM
It's all for them

The brands mentioned contain pyrethrins or permethrins, both of which are extremely toxic to cats.

As you have already discovered, these cheap products, even if they don't kill the first time around, don't work, so you are wasting your money, and the next time you use it your cats may not be so lucky.

A six pack of frontline plus at the vet should cost about $80 or less, plus you get two free (manufacturer promotion) That is $10 per dose.

If you live in an area where winters are cold, depending on the level of infestation, 4-6 months of treatment with frontline plus, with a home program of daily vacuuming, and frequent laundering of cat beds and bedding, will get rid of the fleas permanently, as long as all pets are treated every 30 days, and they don't go outside, ever.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

when we asked again, we were given a price of 100$, per cat, for 6 months of treatment. I assume this is the 6 pack you mentioned, though I'm not sure why they insist that each cat has the full six month treatment since, as you say, I live somewhere with very cold winters. Within 1-2 months the weather will be below freezing.

But as our kitties were due for their shots anyways, we managed to find a vet who would give us a good deal for getting it all done in one visit. We took our oldest in during the week and she is already looking so much better. The other two will go on tuesday. Unfortunately we will have quite the battle ahead, since the fleas were found to be coming from a cat my neighbour 'rescued' from her relative or ex or something, infested her two cats, and now travel to our house on her baby daughter who serves as the main income in our daycare. Poor baby is one of the unlucky people fleas just love to eat. And I doubt they will be paying for treatment.

Still confused as to why OTC products would contain entirely different ingredients, but I guess that is something I would have to ask a manufacturer. Thanks so much for your input and support!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Last time I checked Frontline was available at Wal-Mart. You may want to see if it is any cheaper there.

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!

Tags
flea control