Should i declaw my kittens? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Should i declaw my kittens?

Hi
Should i declaw my kittens? I'm taking my male into get fixed next week and if you declaw and fix them at the same time they give you a good discount. I'm wondering though if they don't need to be declawed. They are about 4-5 months we are not too sure, we found them both in a car. But they don't scratch anything right now but their scratching post. Do they start clawing things as they get older or do you think they will stay as good as they are.

Let me know if anyone has had experience with this. I do know its better to get them declawed when they are young. I dont want to have to take them in when they are older.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Headlock

If it was me id say no thats there defense thing with out it there can't defend them selves.

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well they live with me and unless they need to defend themselfs from each other i dont think they need the defence? They are not allowed outside??
Cute bird!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink9549 View Post
Well they live with me and unless they need to defend themselfs from each other i dont think they need the defence? They are not allowed outside??
Cute bird!!
i just really dont find the need to declaw them.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink9549 View Post
Hi
Should i declaw my kittens? I'm taking my male into get fixed next week and if you declaw and fix them at the same time they give you a good discount. I'm wondering though if they don't need to be declawed. They are about 4-5 months we are not too sure, we found them both in a car. But they don't scratch anything right now but their scratching post. Do they start clawing things as they get older or do you think they will stay as good as they are.

Let me know if anyone has had experience with this. I do know its better to get them declawed when they are young. I dont want to have to take them in when they are older.

Thanks in advance
No, no, no, and NO! Declawing is a horrible inhumane procedure and most vets don't tell you what's actually involved. They don't just pull the claws out. They have to cut off the LAST knuckle of every individual toe. Look at your toes; it would be excruciating to walk with the tips of your toes cut off to the nearest knuckle. Declawed cats often live a life in fear, because you're taking away their primary form of defense, and it is not uncommon to find declawed cats hiding ontop of refrigerators and cabinets because high up off the floor is the only place they feel safe without their claws. In cutting off the first knuckle, it disconnects how their paws operate, and leaves them walking painfully for the rest of their lives. My fiance had his cat declawed a long time ago before he knew what declawing actually involved, and the cat sat up on his hind legs because it hurt to have his front feet on the ground. :/ Don't believe a vet if they tell you not to buy into the propaganda about it. It's horrendously inhumane, check out these links:

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm
http://www.moggies.co.uk/stories/declaw.html

Both those sites explain what happens during declawing, and why it's so inhumane.

Cats need their claws just because. They were born with them. Cats use their claws to help pull them up onto surfaces, and scratching their claws on something provides them with a sense of comfort. It's like when a cat kneads soft material beneath its paws; it can't knead properly without its claws, and I, as well as every other cat-owner has probably seen the superb look of happiness and contentment on her cat's face when I caught them kneading. Please don't take that away from them... It's like cropping a dog's ears for cosmetic reasons..it's stupid and inhumane. America is the only country that allows declawing...it's prohibited everywhere else. That should say something.

You have many options like clipping their nails, buying SoftPaws, or just dealing with it. Part of accepting a cat is accepting the claws that come with it

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 08-01-2010 at 10:39 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Curmudgeon

Wow, this could SO easily be a "troll" thread.

However, I'll bite.

I think you should talk to your vet. Assess YOUR needs, what kind of lifestyle you and your cat will share, read up from factual (NON-biased) sources ...and then make your decision.

I can see both sides. I know there are valid reasons that some folks have for de-clawing. I also know some people are irrationally outspoken on the opposite side.

There are lots of elective surgeries done on animals in captivity (i.e. spaying, neutering) that have risks and long term effects. It happens. Sometimes it's necessary, sometimes not.

If you plan on letting the cat be an outdoor cat that might be one thing, ...but since you don't, as you said, that's not really a factor.

I know happy, healthy cats of both persuasion, so do what works for you best.

I would say, if you are going to do it, ...do it as young as possible. But I'm sure your vet will go over that with you.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 08-01-2010 at 11:19 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

..Yeah, sure, let's just amputate part of our cat's toes and try and justify it. Awesome idea!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Headlock

I just think it not normal if you don't want to deal with nails then don't get a kitty. I've never had a problem with nails.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Exactly. If you can't accept the fact that cats have claws, and claws are a part of their normal biology, don't get a cat. We as humans don't have the right, nor should we, take away part of an animal's natural biology just to suit our needs, or for our convenience. I perceive it as if one human took away the free-will of another human, which is part of our natural biology. We don't have the right to do that to our own species, nor do we have the right to take away something natural from another species.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Hello Earthling

I don't think I could live with myself if I got a my cat declawed.

There are other things you can do other then declaw.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well this is why i'm asking. These are my first two kittens, we saved them i didnt plan to have them. They dont scratch anything at all but their post they are really good. I just know its something people do, declaw. I was asking advice because i didn't really know too much about it. I will hold off on the declawing, i doubt i will do it. They let me cut their nails, and i have a really high bed as it is. I enjoy having them jump up there to sleep.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you are worried only about clawing furniture, please don't do it. There are plenty of things you can do so that your cats won't claw furniture. Double-sided tape is one, they hate the feeling of it and if you put it on your couches (if they start to scratch it) they will learn after a while its better to scratch their post. Also, getting a cat tree would help with scratching as well, so they can scratch that instead of your furniture.

I've also heard of cats that become very traumatized from the procedure, as well as cats that do fine for the rest of their lives. But, I guess the real question is, is it necessary?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Part of the Pack

I would say,....please, please, DON'T! We had 2 declawed cats, one when I was a child and 1 when I was about 19 and I did not know any better, and since I've learned the truth, I've felt absolutely sick inside that I was the cause of such trauma. Any decent, respectable vet who cares more about the animal than money, will NOT declaw!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~