Should my cat be shedding her winter coat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Should my cat be shedding her winter coat?

I have a 1 1/2 y/o long haired cat who has started losing clumps of hair just over the past week. She is indoor/outdoor and I'm wondering if she is just losing her winter coat. It's been pretty warm here the last week or two. She's otherwise healthy, and is still eating and pooping fine. Here's a pic of her at about 6 months old, just so you can see how cute little Fluffy Butt is.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Smile

I wouldn't be over worried sounds like shes moulting to me losing her winter coat due to the climate change as it can happen also things like central heating can mix there body clocks up so they moult earlier or later or so i've read, plus she will lose bigger clumps of hair with her being long haired. My dog moults at strange times of the year she normally has her summer coat well into winter and then come summer she still has her winter coat on and is red hot . My cats moulting a little at the moment too so i wouldn't be worried

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for your help. I was figuring that is what it was, but I'd never heard of that happening with cats. My dog is short haired and sheds all the darn time, so I can't tell with him. Glad to know that she's not being totally weird or anything. Thanks again.

Becky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The time to worry is if shes going bald and has bald patches then you should worry

Great name for a cat by the way Eeyore i collect eeyores as love him so a very good name

Kirsty

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking

Oh no, she has nothing near a bald spot anywhere. That would have merited a call to the vet. By the way, there's a funny story about Eeyore's name. Eeyore and Fluffy are two of a litter that were born in my garage by a stray that found me while she was in labor. I actually had to help the mom by pulling Fluffy out (gently of course), as she was backwards. Anyways, Eeyore came out third, and mom was so tired that she didn't clean him properly. He had a small bit of fluid left on his tail that we didn't notice until about 3 days later. I was rubbing his tail to see if I could rub it off, and about half his tail came off in my hand. Apparantly, it was suffocated from the fluid, and was dead. Didn't even bleed. Since he was the quietest and then he lost his tail, we thought Eeyore was fitting. And he's the most "solemn" of the four cats, so it definitely was right for him. Fluffy Butt started as a nickname, and my then-2 year old liked it, so it stuck. LOL Just wanted to share. I'll try to get a pic of Eeyore on here, he's my fave.

Becky

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Here's a pic of Eeyore when he was about 3 months old. He's so darn cute, you just have to love him. He is the sweetest thing, too. He just climbs on anyone's lap and he will love you to death.

Becky

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

What adorable kitties! Great story too
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaaaawwwww Eeyore is sooooo adorable and what a sad story regarding his tail, i'm sure he might be the quietest but like Eeyore he will be the wisest

Kirsty

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I would say he's definitely the smartest of all the animals I've got. He's a little weird, but I still love him the best Hee Hee. Here's a tag I made with all the animals, except the fish.

Becky