Sick Cat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Sick Cat?

My cat has repeatedly been throwing up after he eats for at least a month now.
In this type of economy I can't afford to take him to the vet, nor can my parents.
I don't want him to suffer anymore, and I'm just not sure what to do.

When he throws up, you can still see pieces of his food, we've tried switching
brands, but it just doesn't work. It's not hairballs. I think it may be worms,
but we've already given him something for it and it didn't work. He's been
doing this for a while now, and like I said, o.x I don't want him to anymore.
Can anyone help?
Please and Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

No offence, but if you can't afford to take your cat to the vet, you shouldn't have gotten a pet in the first place. I know that may sound mean, but it's the truth. A cat needs medical care just like a person does, and shouldn't be denied it.

Cats do tend to throw up once in a while, but everytime after a meal is definitely not normal. And the fact that it's been going on for a month means your cat is quite sick and will eventually die if he's not holding enough food down. A lot of vet clinics offer payment plans so you can pay off the vet bills a little at a time. The least you can do is phone the vet clinic and ask. Asking questions is free. Hope your kitty starts feeling better.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's been a month so it's probably not something as simple as changing the food. You really need to get him medical attention. Call your vet and see if they offer any payment plans. You could also look into Care Credit (http://www.carecredit.com)--I've personally used it before.

As much as I hate to say this, if you can't figure something out you may want to consider bringing him to a rescue that will get him the vet care he needs.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So sad to hear that, I feel your concerns about him and suppose you got find to rescue him. Sometimes it's better to look for someone who could give him much attention if you can't really afford it, he immediately needs medical attention.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

does your cat eat really fast and then throws up?
how old is your cat?
what kind of food do you give your cat?

If it does eat really fast or a lot and then throws up, your solution is very simple: give just a little bit of food at a time, several times a day and make sure the cat is in a quiet area with no one to disturb. Gobbling up too much food or really fast can cause to vomit for some cats (especially older)

if your cat is older than 6 years old, you have to switch it to lighter food especially if it's an indoor cat. Perhaps he's throwing up because the food is too rich for his body! Try food specially formulated for older cats.

if your cat has no other symptom than throwing up right after eating, that's the only thing i can think of. ( i am not a vet, so it could be an array of things i know nothing about, just sharing my thoughts)
I'm not sure if cats can develop food allergies with age, but if you are giving food that is chicken flavored, try to get food that contains NO chicken products whatsoever. Some cats are sensitive to it. I think most lamb flavored dry food doesn't have traces of chicken, but ask at your local pet store or call your vet to know.

There shouldn't be a fee to ask on the phone to your vet what kind of food is easiest on the stomach of a cat!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Dustette you said exactly what I was going to. Maia would do this sometimes when she ate too fast. I woul dhave to literally talk to her and tell her to slow down. Now I just need to get her to eat. She has lost half her body weight by now and the Vet doesn't know what to do anymore.

Tags
sick cat, throwing up