Signs of a UTI? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Exclamation Signs of a UTI?

I'm wondering if I should raise the alarm on Henry.

When I picked him up today, his body was resting over my arm and I felt something wet along his hind-end. Well, when I shifted him over to the other arm, I saw a red smear on my arm. I told Sami it looked like blood to me and I tried to get a better look at Henry's bottom to see if I could see more (much to Henry's dismay). I didn't really see anything (though his anus looked like it had some dried red bits around it--though it was very minute).

I'm wondering if there are some other symptoms I should be looking for in case something might be wrong?

What does a cat look like if he is 'straining' in the litter box?

IMO, Henry drinks a good deal of water--much more than the girls. Should I be concerned about this?

Any advice is appreciated, guys!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I know that drinking a lot of water can be a sign they are ill... becoming more dehydrated easier or something of that nature.

But I also know that some cats, particular ones that may have started out as strays, never loose the sense that they may not see food or water for some time and tend to drink more than household cats.

The blood is definately something I'd be worried about. o.O Goggle or wikipedia it something... see if there are any other symptoms.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A cat straining to urinate looks like he's trying to poo but isn't able to.

The blood would really worry me. Check corners, etc. and see if he's urinating other than in the box. If he's lethargic, vomiting, visiting the litterbox frequently, or straining, he needs to be seen ASAP.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

He hasn't been lethargic at all. Actually, he's been pretty playful--moreso then he's been in the past week, even. And no vomiting from what I've seen. When he first came, he made this snort-hack sound that sounded like he was trying to get rid of a really bad hairball, but he hasn't made that sound in a while.

I've been looking around to see if he's used the bathroom in some odd place, and have watched the animals, too, since Galina almost ALWAYS tattles when someone has an accident. When Seamus was a puppy, I KNEW when he used the bathroom in the house because Galina would keep running to me and then the mess, trying to cover it up.

I'll watch him today closely to see if I can catch him going to the litterbox to see if he's straining. I've only seen him actually go ONCE--Henry's quite secretive about it--and that was when he first came here.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I hope Henry is okay! Hang in there!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

All right.

Today I checked him again and it wasn't red-coloured today, it was a clearish fluid with a brown tint and it STUNK. I mean, REALLY STUNK. Even after washing my hands with a VERY powerful soap, I can still smell wafts of it. And, Henry has been quite elusive still about his litterbox habits, so I haven't caught him to see if he's straining or not.

There haven't been any signs of him using the bathroom elsewhere.

I also noticed today when I gave him his worm pill that his ears are dirty. Could be mites--I don't know. He hasn't really been scratching at his ears so they could just be dirty. He wouldn't let me get close enough to smell them. I also noticed black grainy things under his chin that at first glance looked like flea dirt but when I inspected him for fleas, I didn't see any elsewhere. Maybe it's feline acne?

I think I'm going to go ahead and give the shelter a call anyway so they can take Henry to their vet (they said that if anything occurred within the first 4 weeks, they will take him to their vet for free).

I hope everything is all right and this is just me being paranoid.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I hope hes alright!!! give him lots of hugs and kisses for me

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:29 PM

Magilla has Bladder Inflamation Disease which has similar symptoms to a UTI. I think you remember all those threads. He let me know he was having trouble peeing by peeing on my bed, joy. He never "leaked" anything though and there wasn't a foul odor at all I'm wondering if he is having trouble passing something through his intenstines and the blood is coming from his anus like you first thought. I know when my cat passes hair balls they pass through her intestines and to be honest I think I much rather have her hack them up. The smell of those are horrendous. I've never seen blood though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

The foul smelling stuff didn't come him his anus, that's for sure.

I finally caught him using the litterbox, but it was only for him to take a poo. However, he DID do some straining and grunting and the poo that came out made farting noises (nasty, I know). When I looked at it after he left, it looked like the cat version of a cow patty! So, Henry's poos have gotten worse since moving here--they weren't exactly nice and firm when he first came, but now they're like liquid glops in the kittybox.

I also found what seems to be a small grey hailball that was hacked up on Sami's comics. At first he thought it was poo, but I said no, it can't be--it's not covered up and the stuff surrounding it looked like it was thrown up, not pooed out.

This week or next week I'll be taking Henry to the vet. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry and on top of Henry's 'digestion' issues, he has what looks to be cat acne and ear mites. So, I figure it's just better to have him go in now before things look really bad rather than later in case it IS something serious.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 AM

Could be a parasite. Who am I kidding it could be anything. I hope it isn't anything serious. He's such a cutie I can't wait to see more pictures of him.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM

I work at a vets office and you should get Henry in to the vet soon. It is a possible uti--early symptoms of those--blood in urine and in and out of the liiter box a lot. It would be great if you could take a fresh urine sample in to the clinic [any container will do, you don't need too much and by fresh-either within the past hour, or kept in your fridge]. The blood should not be a symptom of worms, but if he hasn't had a fecal it is always good to have one done. They are fairly cheap and worms can be immediately identified.
As for his hacking--hairballs are very common--just regularly use hairball malt. That is fairly cheapo at a pet store or even wal-mart.
Now for his ears. Nasty ears are usually the sign of infection. If he is young and you just got him, mites are a possibility. That needs to be checked soon--if it is an infection, that can get nasty fast. Allergies can also be a culprite for nasty, gunky ears if no infection or mites are found.
Keep us updated---hope Henry is o.k

Tags
ear mites, litter box, pet store