Skinny Cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Skinny Cat

I have a thirteen year old mixed breed long hair cat.. who is very very skinny, She eats a normal diet, and acts normally but is basically a walking skeleton. Does anyone have any experience with skinny cats? What could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Has she seen a vet? If not, you should really have blood work done to rule out diseases like chronic renal failure (CRF), diabetes, and hepatic lipidosis.

What are you feeding her?

Candice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another to rule out is hyperthyroid. Definitely get blood work and a physical exam done sooner rather than later, you could greatly prolong her life if you catch something early.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Miss New Booty

Candycane and Jade gave great advice. I would definately call the vet and have blood work done if you haven't already. Do you know how much she weighs? I hope all is ok with your kitty.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Because she is such an old cat, I would definetely take her in as soon as possible for the vet to do blood work to rule out any physical problem.

This is VERY important!

I have a friend with a 14-year-old cat who started losing weight and when she took him in, they found out he was having liver failure. Weight loss was the ONLY symptom he had. I hope you'll take her in as soon as possible--it can be the difference between life and death.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I agree with all above. This kitty needs to see a vet. My cat dropped weight drastically in the past year, but this was very obviously due to serious stress in the home environment and has since gained most of it back. For her, it was just a matter of changing her diet to a higher calorie count so even stressed she kept her weight up (darn thing is so picky now too if you change the food, even slowly, she'll get fussy depending on what you change it to)... She's also quite old, 10 yrs, and I plan to have blood work done for her soon as well. Better safe than sorry.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes, I agree! Bloodwork, bloodwork, bloodwork! X-rays couldn't hurt either. One of my cats was losing weight and it turns out he was in renal failure. Also you might want to pick up some AD cat food at the vets. It's a high calorie food that she may need right now.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Brenda, do you know the difference between AD and CD? I know CD is what I have Callie on and she just adores it. Really helped her get the weight and keep it.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keritsubo
Brenda, do you know the difference between AD and CD? I know CD is what I have Callie on and she just adores it. Really helped her get the weight and keep it.
CD is specifically for struvite crystals/urinary tract issues. Has your kitty had that problem before? AD is a high protein/high calorie temporary food for ill/rehabilitating dogs and cats.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.

Tags
cat food, mixed breed