Skinny Cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Skinny Cat

A few years ago I gave Grandpa (now 87) a beautiful brown tabby named Tigger. Tigger, a once overweight cat is now 8 years old. Over the last year, Tigger has lost weight and is nothing but skin and bones. I pay for his vet bill every year, and the vet says there is nothing wrong with Tigger. I would love to take Tigger in for a second opinion, but I lost my job and can't afford it, and neither can Grandpa. Any ideas on what I could do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Once you can afford it blood work is probably needed. It could be lots of things.
My kitty Tyler is pretty skinny but he will be 18 on July 1st. I think Tyler's weight loss is due mostly to his age. I don't think 8 is very old for a cat.
Because he is getting thin and one of the kitties throws up a lot I changed him and our other kitty to dry kitten food. I am not sure if it's the best thing to do but it has cut down on the throw up that I find.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
the rodent lover<3

Hmm. Is eating regular? Also.. [Sorry, i'm not that familiar with cats.. only have expirience with neighbors cat], are there cat vitamins to buy? Once you can afford it, i'd suggest A second opinion . Goodluck with Tigger!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I will see Grandpa on Monday and I hope I can find out more information. I know Grandpa feeds him well. I am concerned it might be his teeth, because he has never had his teeth cleaned. I should have gone with Grandpa when he took Tigger to the vet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What are the vet's advice? It is might be good for cats at that age to be little skinny considering some health issues like arthritis but he has to be eating regularly. Please keep us updated.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Grandpa wanted to believe that the vet was correct and that Tigger is just fine, so Tigger never saw another vet. Last night Tigger began having trouble walking on his back legs. Grandpa took Tigger back to the vet, and now the vet says that Tigger probably has Hyperthyroidism. I still don't have a job, so a lot of tests, which the vet would like to do, are out of the question. Treatment for Hyperthyroidism would mean pills 3x's a day for the rest of his life, and Tigger hates taking pills, even great flavored ones. It is highly likely that there are also other problems, as this has gone on for a long time. Grandpa left the vet with Tigger, and some pain meds for arthritis. I suspect that Tigger will need to be put to sleep soon.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

When my cat had to take pills for her UTI(she's HORRIBLE at taking them), I crushed them up and mixed the pill powder in with canned food.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh I hope you don't have to put him to sleep! ): I was going to say that he probably has a thyroid problem. Same thing happened to me old kitty. It could also be the teeth thing, it couldn't hurt to get a cleaning kit.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Part of the Pack

My Lucky lost 4 lbs. (that's alot for a cat!) and was laying around and didn't want to eat. The first thing we thought of was a bad tooth. But they did bloodwork and found he is diabetic. He also drinks tons of water and FILLS the litterbox with pee when he goes! I have to buy insulin and syringes for him and for myself, also, as I am diabetic, too! It's an expensive disease. But I would bet on the Hyperthyroidism. I'm really sympathetic for the financial aspect of it. All 3 of our cats are old and we are severely hurting financially. It costs $65 a month for his fructosamine test, plus the supplies. And he's not even the oldest cat--he's 13 and Quinnie is 17! If she comes down with problems, I don't know what we'll do. I'm going broke on all of my different meds! I know the saying "if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet" and I agree if you're getting one for the first time or keep getting them when you know you can't afford it. But sometimes during the lifetime of your pet, your financial situation may change and you may have to make some very painful choices. Best of luck to you and Tigger.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tigger has had problems for years. He had problems vomiting and was on steroids for IBS a few years ago, and I was paying for his meds when I gave him to Grandpa. About two years ago Grandpa took Tigger off of he meds, because he said Tigger was just fine without them. Tigger could have been missed diagnosed back then. If Tigger's problems were just beginning, he might have a chance at beating this disease. But even if he were put on new meds for Hyperthyroidism, it would take weeks for it to do anything. I think Tigger has been through enough pain.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Another relative stepped up and helped pay for Tigger to have a test for Hyperthyroidism. Tigger had the test done yesterday, and tested positive. Tigger went home with meds, and hopefully he will get better. The vet wanted to do more test to check the condition of his liver, etc., but grandpa decided if the new pills don't work and Tigger gets sicker, he will be put to sleep. Tigger has been acting fine since he got the pain meds a couple of weeks ago, but since that will cure nothing, I was able to convince grandpa to give Tigger the test for hyperthyroidism. Grandpa likes to feed Tigger canned cat food, but research on the web points to Salmon and fish canned cat food, along with cat food made with organ meats, such a liver, are suspected to cause hyperthyroidism!

Tags
cat health