Smelly Litter Control! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Smelly Litter Control!

I have two cats Trina and Lizzy and I was changing their litter box every two days it seemed like because it started stinking so badly. I ran across this product called Odor-Z-Way that I used for odor/stain problems with my dogs and decided to try it in the litter box. Wow! I have saved a lot of money on litter since I started adding Odor-Z-Way into my litter box. I have tried all kinds of products and this stuff really works. I'm now waiting a week before I even clean the litter box out because this product does such a great job at removing the ammonia odor. Once the smell starts coming back I just add a little more to litter and like magic there is no more odor. If you would like to check this product out a little more in type Odor-Z-Way into google and it should take you straight to their website. I'm telling you that this product really works. I have never used anything like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 PM

A week seems a little long to wait to clean the box,do you mean you are scooping out the feces& urine...& totally cleaning the litterbox 1X a week?
By rights,the best option is to remove urine& feces ASAP...for sanitarys sake for the kitty& humans living in the house...cat feces can carry a parasite...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Betta Bomb

I found generally cats prefer it to be cleaned every day. I used to live with a pile of cats who had to share one litterbox..Oo And since it was hard to keep up on it, one cat in particular would deposit his waste on the floor
As long as the clumps are removed I think thats great you found a stink remover!! I needd some for Illusion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes you should be cleaning the box every day, if not the cats might start going potty on the floor. You don't want that! Also baking soda can help, if you put it under the litter. With mine I change the litter monthly and lysol the insides weekly and scoop daily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
can't think of one, help

I use the scoopable litter, and have four very large boxes. My kitties insist that I scoop them at least 2 times per day. Preferably 3 times. They do not like a box that has waste in it.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 PM
can't think of one, help

Also if the cats have not been neutered/spayed the urine can be especially strong.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

smelly litter control

You are all absolutely right. The way I talked about cleaning the litter box was not very clear. I absolutely remove the clumps from the litter box on a daily basis as you should do for sanitary purposes. Then I clean the entire litter box after one full week. The Odor-Z-Way just keeps the smell knocked down completely and helps extend the litter from what I found. On the companies website they also claim that their product takes, I believe, 95 boxes of baking soda to equal 1 cannister of their product. I really do believe this!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks for clearing that up...I was thinking you had miracle kitties...I must scoop mine everyday (more than once)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow!! I will have to check this out! I have one kitty, and scoop her box everyday, but the amonia smell is so strong--even in a clean box! I have tried baking soda, but it doesn't seem to work very well for me!! Thanks for sharing this!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Tags
ammonia, litter, litter box, odor, urine