Sneakers Is Gone - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sneakers Is Gone

Sneakers is gone. I will post more about it later. I am too heartbroken right now to say much. There was no way he would get better without surgery, and the surgery would be a sex change so he could go to the bathroom. We just couldn't put him through that. He was in pain and suffering so we made the decision. We would have had the surgery if he was stronger, but Sneakers would have been so tramatized and there was no guarantee he would get better. We just couldn't put him through anymore fear and pain. Mike and I were there with him when he went. We both cried and we are both heart broken. I'm still in shock. I'm sorry I can't say much right now. I will come back in a few days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I am so so sorry Stephanie. I know what you are going through and it is awful. I'm here for you if you need me, just pm or email me. Right now you need to grieve for Sneakers, time will make things easier, just remember all the good times you had with him. I'm sure he is thanking you for relieving him of his pain.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Miss New Booty

My gosh Stephanie... I am so, so sorry. Once again I don't know what to say. My heart breaks for you both.
You know we are all here for you when you are ready to talk. I'm here for you, too. Please PM me if you need me. ((hugs)) for you and Mike.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm so very, very sorry for your loss, Stephanie.

Stephanie

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:33 AM

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

I'm sorry to hear about your loss too, and I cry with you. I don't think I can say much more.

Dimaris

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 02:48 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee Steph, I'm so sorry for your loss of Sneakers, I feel your pain and know at this time words aren't enough, but sadly that is the only comfort I can offer at this time. I know Sneakers is without pain now and is looking down on you thanking you and Mike for the hard decision you both had to make.
Please know we are all here for you if you need to talk!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 06:35 AM
Adolescent Pup

OMG...that is so sad...I am so sorry for you loss Hon....
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh that's so sad. I'm so sorry.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:09 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I am so sorry for your loss.

Last edited by crzy4piggers; 11-14-2004 at 08:15 AM.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Steph, I read this last night and cried with you but could not think of anything worthy to say at the time, and twice again this morning. Words just never seem to be enough. Then I remember how much your words, and those words of the others on the forums, meant to me. So possibly just letting you know that our hearts and emotions are right there next to yours is enough to help a bit. Nothing we say can take away the sadness but I really want you to know that we care, understand, and feel for you.

The memorial for our own black and white cat includes the following poem. I only hope it can bring some comfort for you as well. I firmly believe in its words. Sometimes the greatest love we can show a beloved pet is to allow him to rest peacefully for they do not alwayst understand the doctors and medicines and surgeries et al.

IF IT SHOULD BE ME
(AUTHOR UNKNOWN)

If it should be that I grow weak,
And the pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won,
You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer so,
The time has come to let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
And please stay with me until the end,
I know in time that you will see,
The kindness what you have done for me,
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve, it must be you,
Who has this painful thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

There will always be a piece of your heart dedicated to Sneakers. Nothing will take that away hun, but I promise you, because I know how much you adore animals, and how much Sneakers would want you to turn this loss into something positive, that happier times will be ahead. Never try to hold back the tears, and never let the sorrow prevent you from doing positive things either. Remember the lesson of the forums this month... "Everything happens for a reason"... we may not understand those reasons...but something more powerful does

{{{{{{{{{{{ Steph }}}}}}}}}}

Sneakers is ok now and I'm sure he's purring at the rainbow bridge bragging about how unselfish his human family was for him.

gah I'm crying with you again. Times like these really test our abilities. You hang in there kid.

- Deb

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry. The death of a pet is so hard. I send you my condolences.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Steph... I saw your thread yesterday about taking him back to the ER & didn't have a chance to reply... So when I signed on this morning to reply this was the first thread I saw...
I am so so sorry! I wish tehre were something I could do to take away the pain & sorrow I know you are feeling. I know only time can heal that though. We all know how much you loved (and still love) Sneakers & how hard you tried to make him better.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I wish there was something I could say to comfort you, but all I can say is how sorry I am Stephanie. For you and Mike. You did what was best for Sneakers, you just couldn't bring yourself to let him be in pain. Like Deb said, he's at the Rainbow Bridge bragging about how you and Mike were unselfish. That you let him pass away in peace.

Please, don't hesitate to e-mail me, private message me or YIM me. I'm here if you need to talk. We all are.

Karen

[

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thank you all so much for being there for me. Your kind words have brought me to tears. My eyes are almost swollen shut from last night and I hardly recognize myself. I'm surprised that I am able to get on here and type this morning, but you all have been so kind to me and like a family. I don't think its fair to you if I don't respond, especially since all of you have gone through all this with me too.

What Mike and I decided to do was the hardest decision I have ever made. The hardest part was, if it would have been Ollie or Tiger, I would have put them through the surgery because they are stronger cats, and don't have the intense fear that Sneakers does. Sneakers has always been a scared and nervous cat. He had gotten to the point where he would run from Mike if Mike walked through the door. I guess maybe because Mike was the one who would put the pills in his throat, and I would hold him. Every time he went to the ER, he practically went in shock. The poor guy went through so much going there so many times and being on medication for weeks, and being locked in the bedroom for most of the time. Then for him to have blood leaking from him after going through all that...

When the nurse picked him up to get his weight, his bladder emptied from just the pressure of her picking him up, and it was all red. I could tell from her face that things were not good.

The doctor that we had was wondeful. She was so sweet and understanding, and she had been there with Sneakers through all of this. She took a lot of time to explain everything and explained all of our options. She supported us in whichever way we decided to go, but she was leaning towards euthanasia because of the condition that he was in, and the fact that he hadn't responded well to anything that we had done. He was now a surgical candidate, and none of us felt that it was right to make him go through an operation that removes the penis so he can have a larger opening to urinate through.

They took us to a special room with couches so we could be there with him, and they had put a catheter in his arm so we could be close to him and hold him while it was done. We let him lay in his little towel with his head buried like he wanted and when she gave the injection, he went so peacefully. I didn't even believe that he was gone because it was so fast and peaceful, and he still seemed to be with us. When she picked him up, it seemed like he wasn't gone, and I kept saying "Are you sure he's gone?" She offered her stethoscope for me to listen, but I didn't need to do that. It was just so hard and is so hard for me to accept. Mike and I both left crying with broken hearts, and we are still so sad today. I keep thinking that I see Sneakers "sneaking" around like he always did, or laying on his cat tree. Its going to be so hard for awhile. I have no idea if I can pull it together for work today. Thank you all again for being there.

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Tags
pet owner, white cat