Sneezing Kitty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Question Sneezing Kitty

Hi cat people! Are kitten has been home for 2 days and seems to sneeze alot! Should I be worried? Can she be allergic to something? Does anyone else have a sneezing cat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Princess in Waiting

You'll hate this answer, Cap'n, but get it to the vet for some antibiotics!

It isn't at all unusual for new kitties to develop a upper respiratory infection because of the stress of moving, etc. I've seen very few kittens go to new homes that didn't get this - along with that beautiful yucky eye stuff!

Seriously, I would rather be safe than sorry. How old is the kitty? Do you have other cats? It can be contagious. It could be a lot of things, so you would be better served by treating this one now than waiting to see what happens.

Post a picture!!

Critter
(obviously a former vet clinic employee)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:52 PM
Princess in Waiting

This is what I get for answering first and scrolling later.......but ESPECIALLY since the kitty came from a Humane Society it very likely has a URI. They just cannot control it in that situation.

I think it is great that you adopted a new baby. And the tortoise-shell calicos are so cute! Sounds like you have a loving little baby. I love it when they pick out their owners! The first cockatiel we had chose my daughter. She rode from L'ville to Lexington, KY with it perched on her shoulder. When we got almost home she asked "what does this bird look like?" Once he got on her shoulder he wouldn't even get off for her to look at him.

But please do take the kitty to your vet - don't bother calling the Humane Society because they will tell you that it isn't possible for it to have picked up anything there and they are wrong.

Critter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I will call the vet tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Princess in Waiting

Let me know what he tells you; I care about your baby! What have we named her?

Critter
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 11:59 PM
ChinTopia

or have we named her yet? Sorry to hear about your kitty, I would take her to the vet as well, and if there *IS* something wrong, I would call the HS back and tell them what happened, just so they know, you likely won't get compensation out of them, but at least they could perhaps help the others from the litter!
Good luck!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Well I called the Emergency Hospital last night to see what they said, and on Monday I am going to take her to the vet. Ia m really nervous. She seems fine, plays hard, sleeps well, eats like a tiny bear, but I'd rather just take her and be reasured then worry. Her one ear is now twitching alot too.

We haven't named her yet-Grace just doesn't seem to fit, I ahte Storm which is Ray's idea. So far she is just baby Girl. What I hate is that she is Ray's baby too. at night she wants to sleep on Ray-which he hates and I'd kill for.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Princess in Waiting

Don't be so frightenened, Cap'n. Look into that twitchy ear and see if it is full of black gunk. Leave it alone if it is there; the dr needs to see it. Or it may have some too far down to see with the naked eye. Ear mites are very common in "pound kitties" (and puppies) and they will clean her ears for you then either give her an injection for them or give you some drops for her ears, which will get all over you because as soon as you get them into her ears and before you can rub it in she'll shake her head violently and send it flying!

I'll be surprised if you don't just come home Monday with some amoxi-drops for her and maybe the ear medicine. She sounds like a classic URI, which is so common in young kittens. Look at all she's been through in her short life - and you think you have stress??

I believe her name is Little Girl - whether you like it or not! Sometimes the names seem to pick themselves. That would be an interesting poll - how we come up with the names for our animals. I had a cat once I was going to name Diana (I had a William) but every time I called to her "Ladybug" came out of my mouth. The hardest was this last puppy I got that I had to name before I ever saw her, because my daughter had her for almost 2 weeks before I got her.

Stay cool. You and your little girl will be fine. And I know what you mean about them sleeping with you. I LOVE to have an animal cuddle up to me but it's so darn hot in Florida nobody wants to cuddle!

Critter
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

CritterCall thanks for your help, you made me feel so much better.

I really apreciate the time you have taken to help me!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to let you all know that Baby Girl took a steep dive for the worse last night. Shje had a high fever in the doctors today and was slightly dehydrated. They gave her a shot that would send nutrients through her body for 8-10 hours. Then gave me ammox, she is doing better already and has been playful and eating and drinking all day.

I was quite hysterical all last ngiht and this morning because she is so small and I couldn't do anything for her.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 11:55 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Capn I am sorry to hear that Baby Girl is sick,but am glad she is doing better

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Runt. I was so scared! Now she is cuddeling with ray and seems fine, we will be keeping an eye on her.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:47 AM

Capn what did the vet say was wrong with her? I am glad to hear that she is doing better.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 08:26 AM

I'm so sorry your kitty is sick, Cap; I hope she gets well soon
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Princess in Waiting

With the injection and the amoxi she should be even more active than when you first got her in no time.

I'm sorry you worried so about her; I do the same with my own but a lot of time that is because I know just enough the be dangerous, and have a shelf full of books to help me! Her symptoms sounded so typical of the same "crud" that kitties usually get I felt really optimistic (SP???) about her.

Well, since she seems to taken to Ray so quickly and completely, does that mean it's time to go get yourself a kitten? They are so much more fun in pairs!

I'm doing a happy dance for you.

Critter

Tags
ear mites, humane society, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection, vet clinic