so I have this chair.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

so I have this chair....

...that one of my cats insists on peeing in. I'm not sure what it is about this chair...it's one of those folding mini-papa san chairs from Wal-Mart. It's been washed more times than some of my clothes. I'm not sure if there's a particular scent to the chair that he's identifying as a mark or something, I've tried a couple of store-bought substances that's suppose to deter such things, but nothing works. So I did the simplest thing and just kept the chair folded and in the closet. Now, though, he's starting to spread his practices...jackets and coats on the floor become targets...if I lay my comforters over my barstools to dry after washing it becomes a target (but he doesn't do it if the blanket is on the bed?)...and now he's started doing it to my living room recliner which is very difficult to clean.

Any suggestions?

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...or does a gecko have me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:37 PM

If he isn't neutered then I would recommend getting him neutered and that might deter the marking if he is neutered and if its more like he is peeing than spraying then he could have a Urinary Tract Infection and he should go to the vet to get some antibiotics. In both of these situations they tend to mark and taking out the scent won't help they may either find somewhere else or just continue in the same spot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Diddo to Denas remark about being altered.

HOWEVER:----

Once CAT urine is in-- it doesnt come out!

Speaking as a vet tech.

Try Ditching the chair no ammount of cleaning will help and buy some Feli-way. Its a plug in style pherimone thing it calms cats and reduces marking fighting and other behavioral issues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pictured are:
Center my 6yr old Ferret Cinnamin
Lower Left Corner: my 13ft 30lb Dwarf Reticulated Python Squigs.
Upper Right Corner: My 3yr old Ball Python Kona.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
These are only a few of my managorie im missing 2 more snakes, my hamster, and my 2 torts.
Hey what can i say other than... I Live At A Zoo!

Also The rottie in My Avatar is My 5yr old Seymur & my 10 Yr old German Shepherd Shaddow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

He is fixed.

For the mos part I think I'm jsut going to keep him away from his typical away from the litter-box joints, just trying to think of something that might prevent it from happening elsewhere...

To point out, though, the bowl chair thingy that he seems to have a real problem with is fully synthetic and spends a good amount of time in a bleach solution when it happens.

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Okay- that will help. i still recc Feliway. It has always worked with me!

pictured are:
Center my 6yr old Ferret Cinnamin
Lower Left Corner: my 13ft 30lb Dwarf Reticulated Python Squigs.
Upper Right Corner: My 3yr old Ball Python Kona.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
These are only a few of my managorie im missing 2 more snakes, my hamster, and my 2 torts.
Hey what can i say other than... I Live At A Zoo!

Also The rottie in My Avatar is My 5yr old Seymur & my 10 Yr old German Shepherd Shaddow!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:36 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

As Dena previously mentioned lots of times this is an indication of a urinary tract problem. I would take him to the vet to just be on the safe side as it is something that can be hard to detect at first. Particularly since it is a neutered male you dont want to deal with the sudden emergency issue of being blocked. I recently had to witness with my friend his cat being euthanized unexpectedly on Christmas night from this very issue. He also started urinating on the bed and my friend thought he was just being angry from his recent move from out of state. Best to be on the safe side!

Tags
neutered male, urinary tract infection, vet tech